Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

2 hours ago, Broark said:

I've talked myself out of them for the time being, I've got enough Black Seed denim to last me a long time.

I didn’t think I would ever hear those words from you. Haha 

I thought it was like Pokémon. Gotta catch em all! 
but I feel the same way. I’d be more interested in a pair with Japanese denim 

^ I know you're joking and all, but on a board where we spend most of our time obsessing over details that won't ever be noticed by anyone besides the wearer either way, being turned off by hidden details doesn't seem like it should be taken as any more ridiculous than being turned on by them.

I prefer jeans with single-chainstitched waistbands, even though no one besides me will ever know the difference. I also (strongly) prefer jeans with plain pocket bags, even though the loudness of overly-adorned alternatives might only ever be evident to me. The whole reason we're here is to care about these things.

3 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

^ I know you're joking and all, but on a board where we spend most of our time obsessing over details that won't ever be noticed by anyone besides the wearer either way, being turned off by hidden details doesn't seem like it should be taken as any more ridiculous than being turned on by them.

I prefer jeans with single-chainstitched waistbands, even though no one besides me will ever know the difference. I also (strongly) prefer jeans with plain pocket bags, even though the loudness of overly-adorned alternatives might only ever be evident to me. The whole reason we're here is to care about these things.

haha yeah I'm just joking around. There's no need to defend what you like and dont like. I definitely get it. I won't wear things because of some stupid detail that bugs me and nobody else so to your point, I agree!

I think when we get so detailed into things, it's nice to step back and realize that everything we talk about here for the most is kind of ridiculous and funny. Also for a long time now, Sufu was getting pretty dry and stale but lately with more people contributing and coming back bc we're all for the large part more glued to our computer/phones at home, it's been fun seeing more back and forth and a little more humor dropped in. I still get a chuckle out of Jake and ed's John lofgren nonsense. 

Most diehard fans already have 2-3 pairs of black seed denim. 
I’d be all over these if they were a different denim and his plain pocket bags. 

5 hours ago, Quoise1203 said:

This is wild. Nearly two days later and almost all sizes are still available. Never thought I’d see the day (again, after 2016)

Something to consider.... normally his jeans are distributed to 5 stores across North America so you have 5 store plus an online store selling his jeans at the same time.  Unfortunately right now we don't have 6 outlets selling his jean, we have only one, just the online store.

Edited by kiya

7 hours ago, Quoise1203 said:

This is wild. Nearly two days later and almost all sizes are still available. Never thought I’d see the day (again, after 2016)

Couple of contributing factors right now: like Kiya said his locations are temporarily closed so these are only sold online currently.
I think a lot of people are probably not prioritizing buying new jeans at this particular moment in time. Lots of people are out of work, even if temporarily.
For me I don't feel the need to spend ~$440 (with shipping, hemming) on more Black Seed Cone right now. 
Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff and the jeans are really something else. But I have a lot of it and I should probably just focus on breaking more of it in.
Now once my stimulus check hits I'll have to do some thinking. 

17 minutes ago, Broark said:

By the way, @kiya @youngofthesoonest are the coin / back pockets on these lined with the normal white canvas Roy usually uses or are they also lined with the indigo canvas?

It’s the white canvas.

indigo lovers came in the mail today- fit like a dream after a hot soak.. really stoked. didn’t think i’d like the straight fit, but it’s just right. details are fantastic, as always. 

44 minutes ago, lophophora said:

indigo lovers came in the mail today- fit like a dream after a hot soak.. really stoked. didn’t think i’d like the straight fit, but it’s just right. details are fantastic, as always. 

how much does the indigo pocket bags bleed onto your hands, legs and wallet?

I was looking to purchase the new Roy at SelfEdge but can't figure out my size with their way to measure it (on the was it band). Comparing my pairs I should either take 31 or 32. Any advice to give me ? ( 32 Fullcount 1108, 32 Ooe Yofukuten, 31 Warehouse 800, 32 Resolute 710 etc...) Sorry if it's a dumb question but I don't want to do any mistakes and would appreciate any input from people who wear Roy too. @Broark ?

@Collin I would go with whatever your "normal" size is, I wouldn't recommend sizing down. The Black Seed denim tends to shrink a good amount over time.
All of my Roy's are size 36, here are the other brands you mentioned and the size I take in them.
Full Count: 35
Resolute: 36 (in the 711, but would probably wear a 38 in the 710)
Ooe Yofukuten: 38
Warehouse: 36
Hope that helps!

@Broark Yup, it helps a lot. Exactly what I was waiting for, thanks a lot! I'll take 31 ! Does the denim shrink more than the 3" in length announced by SelfEdge ? I figured I could get them hemmed raw by SE and shrink them to the good length afterwards instead of sending them elsewhere after a couple of soaks

@Collin I don't think it should shrink much more than 3". Maybe an additional .25"~.5" after a few washes.
I don't remember what lengths I got my previous pairs hemmed to pre-wash so the current measurements would't be much help.

attached is roy fit and Ooe OA02 for comparison. (1 & 2 resp.) 

size 30 roy, 31 ooe

The pockets bleed heavy. fabric is gorgeous though! excited for the denim to settle and mellow out. 

D2790FFD-7EA6-4022-BA02-6C457BB981C7.jpeg

E41B3FB0-C29B-4163-B87D-CB294E902C6A.jpeg

Edited by lophophora
forgot to add size

@lophophora Thanks for your input, very useful. As you have +1 in Ooe compared to Roy and a close « build » to mine... how do they fit and feel compared to each other ? Does the Roy have more space with the bigger measurements ?

EDIT: Got the Roy in 31. Many thanks to all for your quick and helpful answers, appreciate it

Edited by Collin

I’ve been wearing the R01Sail Very Nice Pocket Jean 3-4 days a week since i got them in December and while the denim is slow to fade, I’m starting to see some nice lighter blues coming out. The fit is def my favorite of all the jeans i have. 

73A9CC7C-6897-450B-A01F-DFE1B2B9170A.jpeg

1572DC2A-779C-4C4B-883C-61F16A0A83FE.jpeg

804C5F2E-D7AF-4FB9-81C5-5B85F536BDCF.jpeg

D38A3251-7728-4738-B1F1-3C8886D842C0.jpeg

Just copped a pair of Indigo Lovers in 33. Against all better judgement... :P but they're Roy's!!! 

I have 2 pairs of Roy's jeans; RT1002 in 33 and R01 w/ the back pocket deets in 32. I haven't worn the R01, only washed them to get the shrink out. They're really tight in the waist, but they'd stretch with wear. I had the Memorial's in a 34 and they were huge on me, so moved them. I think the R01 IL's in 33 will be a Goldilocks fit for me. The altered measurements on this run are very appealing, with just slightly more taper from knee to hem.