Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

they surely do look amazing, packed with quirky, unique details and the cut looks great too. I'm a notorious cheapskate but seen the amount of detailing on these, and the fact they're made by a one man band and sold by a shop price doesn't seem too steep for me.

9 hours ago, Quoise1203 said:

Yea no one can argue that they are overpriced from an economic perspective.

Anyone versed in economics would tell you that if they sell they are by definition not overpriced.

After seeing Roy's workshop in person I feel like I have a better understanding of the cost.
Everything he puts into his work is time consuming and labor intensive. He's going above and beyond on every little minute detail.
Hell, even the pocket flasher on these took forever to make. He found these interesting naturally dyed papers from a local art supply place and used mismatched flashers from old runs and glued  the paper to the back of the flashers. Then X-acto knifed the papers onto each flasher by hand. This is for a detail that's likely to not even going to noticed by a whole lot of people.
I'll get some pictures, anecdotes, etc. up soon of my visit.

On 11/25/2019 at 6:37 AM, Quoise1203 said:

I’ve heard many people comment that ooe stitching is as good or better than Roy. However, although I’ve Never seen a pair in person, ooe look like just a basic pair of very well made jeans, whereas Roy jeans ooze creativity, with all the crazy yet still hidden details.

Have you checked out the Saddle Pants / Hercules Overalls / the collab. jeans they did with Bandana Almanac a bunch of years ago? You're right that their standard jeans are very unassuming—and all the more appealing for it, as far as I'm concerned—but their creativity with detailing is remarkable in its own right. Straying from jeans, their jackets have done an even better job of exemplifying this.

For the record, I absolutely agree that Roy's jeans are reasonably priced. At $1000, they would not be; neither would be Ooe's.

And here are the RS01SAIL jeans, going to give them a machine wash to get all the shrinkage out.
Wh9SCX5.jpg
Olive is a fan. ^_^
LLtMqwd.jpg
sn7iiWt.jpg
s629cD9.jpg
vroyZEU.jpg
This patch is a vintage sail cloth made by Cone that has been washed a lot, the selvedge ID is really far offset.
For the production run of the fabric they made the selvedge closer to the edge, the pocket bags are made of the production run of this fabric.
tquUfGs.jpg
The indigo patches are fabric made by Rowland Ricketts, dyed with the indigo he grew.
OwjhMi5.jpg

i think that's the same indigo duck used in the first batch of rising sun's outdoor vest (where the wabash-ish selvedge line is used/shown running down the back), should grab one if one becomes available. thanks for the write-up! nice to get more glimpse of roy's slightly madcap antics. re: the roy vs. ooe debate in the other thread, that would probably be what sets him apart from ryo & hiro. 

Edited by oomslokop
tempered self-assurance