Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

Picked up a nice pair of RS01. They look minimally worn and washed. No roping at the hem, no cuff creases, and denim is still uniformly dark.

I’ve been looking for worn in pics of other RS01, but can’t find much. Anybody got pics here?

The denim itself is nice. Reminiscent of my Levi’s that I wore in 70’s, just after the starch washed out.

Crazy, but this is my only pair of Cone.

2 hours ago, SuperJackle said:

Those prices though! Holy hell. 

My memorial Jeans 36 are the only ones reasonably priced and that’s because they’re beat to piss. Haha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, propellerbeanie said:

Can't wait to see them on Grailed/eBay for $800+ in the near future woohoo

Sooper rare! 

27 minutes ago, mpukas said:

Love Roy and would love to have another pair but cant do 415. Oofta 

Yeah, I’ve wondered if the pricing is higher via self edge vs him selling direct? Understandable because SE can’t sell for zero profit. Probably easier for Roy to do, no shipping/hemming/etc to be done.

Roy's jeans should cost $600 or so, anything below that and you're getting a deal.  No other jean in the world is made at the level of which he's making jeans.  If a Japanese "artisan" could make jeans like this they would literally cost over $1000 a pair.

I understand that $400 or so is a lot for a pair of jeans, but what he's making these days cannot be equally compared to any other jean in the world.

Edited by kiya

17 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

I guess someone should probably let Ryo and Hiro know they're getting ripped off

You're implying their work is on par with Roy's?

Edited by kiya

Yeah, I am. He does seriously incredible work, and the more recent Test Lot jeans are some of my favorite pants I've had or handled (the other major contender would be the 1890s LeRoys)—but it's not realistic to claim that they're unparalleled by anything else worldwide.

Edited by julian-wolf

6 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Yeah, I am. He does seriously incredible work, and the more recent Test Lot jeans are some of my favorite pants I've had or handled (the other major contender would be the 1890s LeRoys)—but it's not realistic to claim that they're unparalleled by anything else worldwide.

What aspect of the jeans are you referring to? I’ve heard many people comment that ooe stitching is as good or better than Roy. However, although I’ve Never seen a pair in person, ooe look like just a basic pair of very well made jeans, whereas Roy jeans ooze creativity, with all the crazy yet still hidden details.

Im not sure those details can qualify them as better jeans, but to my eyes there still appears to be something to Roy jeans that even Ooe can’t reproduce. 

I haven't spent enough time with Ooe's work to make a fair statement about whether they're as good as roy or not nor am I really interested in that debate but from what I know, they do great work and I'd venture to say if they put in as much of the details that Roy does with his last few jeans, they'd be grossly undercharging if they didnt retail for more than $415. 

Roy.’s work is great.

Roy and SE both deserve to profit from their efforts, experience, and expertise. $415 is very fair, but when compared to the offerings from other makers, $415 is very high.

No need to defend the price Kiya, it can’t go well. Let it die down.

Value is in the eye of the beholder, it can’t be forced.

Have several pairs of Roy and Ooe -- both great, sewn beautifully.  If both were pianists, Roy would give a virtuosic performance and Ryo would play it as written, with a keen eye for historical detail.  Both would command high ticket prices and receive standing ovations.

Which is 'better' probably comes down to personal preference, fit, and body type.  Roy jeans vary more in fit (depending on the model), whereas with Ooe, the top block is pretty consistent from model to model.