Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

Same here.  I guess my wallet should be happy 

1 hour ago, zwer said:

I don't know what to do. 36" is too big, but I worry the 34" is going to be too small. 

Same here I guess my wallet should be happy that there is no solution for those of us on that gap between 34 and 36 

wow that’s big big gap in sizing 

Really dig the black buttons and two tone stitching on the back. 

But I don’t need another pair of Black a seed denim. Love the memorials. 

Was hoping he’d do another run with Japanese denim. Maybe he will before he closes up shop 

I'd be all over a pair of these, but I don't think they're in the cards for me right now... :angry: My RT1002 are one of my best fitting pairs, and I'd love another pair of Roy's tapered jeans. 

I don’t think I’m meant to have a pair of roys; this is the second time I’ve had the money but something came up. First time was replacing part of my sewer line this time was bills and replacing an exhaust. One day though, one day. 

I’ve got a pair in the same denim, the RS04 that I haven’t hemmed or worn yet. But the details on the SF01 really do it for me. The patch and the duck pocket bags for sure. 

Really hope Roy isn’t done anytime soon, I’m planning on being in the Bay Area in the next couple of months and I want to try to meet up with him. Seeing his workshop in person is a dream of mine.

The new RT2s arrived on my doorstep from Self Edge this past Wednesday. I gave them a cool soak for an hour, followed by a hot machine wash (no spin). The pre/post measurements are as follows:

PRE-WASH

Waist: 16.5”

Front Rise: 11.5”

Back Rise: 15.75”

Thigh (1” from crotch): 12.375”

Knee (13” from crotch): 9”

Opening: 8.125”

Length: 37.125”

POST-WASH

Waist: 15.625”

Front Rise: 11”

Back Rise: 14.5”

Thigh (1” from crotch): 12”

Knee (13” from crotch): 8.5”

Opening: 7.75”

Length: 34”

Having done a hot machine wash to get these as close to their final state as possible, I am open to any and all washing insights and recommendations from those of you acquainted with Cone Blackseed's response to washing over the long haul. I like the fit where it is now: Enough room in the thigh and knee to allow me to move freely while still semi-fitted. Still, I'd like to avoid babying these jeans through their life. I'm considering cold machine washes when needed. How much remaining shrink do you think I can expect if I go that route moving forward?

You might get a little shrink with the next couple of washes, but it should mostly be in the waist on top block and will stretch out pretty easily.
Don't worry too much about them, I think you'll be okay to wash going forward. They fit you well!

1 hour ago, Broark said:

You might get a little shrink with the next couple of washes, but it should mostly be in the waist on top block and will stretch out pretty easily.
Don't worry too much about them, I think you'll be okay to wash going forward. They fit you well!

Thanks so much! Yeah, my main concern is the thigh. I’m pleased with the room I have now, and there’s some space for additional shrinkage, but I know that if the the thigh gets too snug after washing I’m basically SOL at that point.

I’m considering one more hot wash after a few wears to ensure the shrinkage is eliminated, but haven’t decided for sure. Definitely avoiding the dryer.

1 hour ago, Broark said:

+1 to this. There's prolly a little more shrink left in them, but it's up to you how much more you want to shrink them. You'll get the most residual shrink in the waist & top block, and inseam length. Maybe a little in the thighs. Blackseed shrink a lot, and also stretches fairly easy where needed. Most fellas 'round here, myself included, recommend getting all of the shrink out up front so there are no surprises down the road. Especially in the length, whether you stack or cuff, you don't want them to start fading and then have the denim move on you. IMO you'd be OK with another washing, and the thighs will stretch as needed. 

They look great, BTW! Well done on getting the right size. Roy's cuts are so good. Oh, I so badly wanted a pair of these, but it didn't happen for me this time. I really wanted to see if this model was modified from the RT1002. I hope in future Roy does another run of these. 

When I spoke to Roy through email about the Test Lot R01's, he told me not to go crazy trying to get shrinkage right off the bat. Give an initial rinse and wear until broken in totally (6-9 months) and then machine wash warm. That was his exact advice. He said that there is tension in the fabric that needs to relax through wear, and if machine washed too early it will mess up the denim. I'm not entirely sure, but like I said that was his word.

Roy has told me this, too. I don't understand what he means by "mess up" the denim. He actually wanted me to send him back a pair of Memorial's for a refund that were too big instead of washing & drying to shrink them. He has his recommendations, and I wouldn't argue with him. I've washed mine 2-3 times before wearing them, and I don't think that I've "messed up" the denim. To me the denim shrinks so much that I want to get all the shrink out up front.