Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

Finally had some time to take a couple fit pics of my SE x R01 (size 33). I personally like this relaxed fit, but will be doing a hot soak/sun dry to get some shrinkage out. I will upload post-soak fit pics when I get the chance... 

IMG_1687.jpg.adf41516b4732f2625abbc849ac6eafe.jpgIMG_1688.jpg.b7f4a0b631e8be6dc12f36d7cf3869c7.jpg

Edited by tewsday

• 3 weeks later...

Any experience on putting black seed through the dryer? 

Thinking of sending a pair of Memorial cuts on a wild ride, but wanted to check on others’ experiences.

Worrying about shrinkage, I got them raw a size bigger than my R04s (38 vs 36) -which were tight after washing but stretched to fit -but have yet to experience the shrinkage others have on this pair.

After a warm soak, a few wears, and a machine wash, they’re still pretty big overall, and after a few more wears, the waist has gotten a little loose.  

Think the dryer might be helpful, as that has worked on LVC in the past, and have a good inch and a half on inseam, so no worries on length.

Concerned though about the effect on the fabric though, as it can be a mixed bag.

Appreciate any insight!

I think my Test Lot jeans have been through the dryer once or twice

I don't remember it having much effect on the fabric, beyond shrinking—it was already plenty soft to begin with, so not a lot of difference there

14 hours ago, cjfergs said:

Any experience on putting black seed through the dryer? 

In my experience, if you want to get max shrink, wash them inside out in hot water, no spin or low spin (there's always a low spin in between cycles in the washing machine, and usually the low spin setting is about them same - it just doesn't need to be very long, a minute or so to get the excess water out), Still inside out, hot dryer for 20 minutes or so, remove still damp. Basically, add as much heat as possible while wet. Hang dry. Don't turn right side out until completely dry, as when denim is wet it's most prone to dye loss at the creases. 

It's counter to what Roy recommends, but I've done this several times with his Black Seed denim with no discernible effects. - it shrinks a lot with 2-3 washes. 

yeah, I usually iron my jeans for the first 1-2 washes. I helps relax the fabric so it drapes better, and at the same time can give it a nice crispness. Some creases will form parallel to the inseam and outseam. I also like to iron the selvedge seam flat. Safest way is to iron inside out. Ironing the face of the fabric can leave a slight sheen on some denim. But IMO every pair of jeans is made with an iron at each step, so a little sheen from a post-wash iron isn't going to negatively affect them. 

On 3/16/2019 at 7:57 PM, tewsday said:

Finally had some time to take a couple fit pics of my SE x R01 (size 33). I personally like this relaxed fit, but will be doing a hot soak/sun dry to get some shrinkage out. I will upload post-soak fit pics when I get the chance... 

These look great!  I sized down for the test lots, which (I think) are the same cut, and I’m wishing now that I had picked these up and either gone tts or maybe even sized up.  It’s cool that you can get such different fits from the same cut.

What is that jungle fatigue shirt, btw?  Army surplus, or Japanese repro?

• 2 weeks later...

Wearing my Big Bro 2s today. I got these over 4 years ago and they still feel like they have a ways to go. It’s crazy how different the fabric can look from one lighting to another and they kinda feel like a different pair of jeans each time I wear them

B5E8040D-6297-4084-A254-1B3EE391906E.jpeg

521A16E2-DE26-4E13-82CF-AB06A7FE1EB7.jpeg

529250B1-C030-45E7-BA12-5DF0A47D6595.jpeg

89660009-D98D-4859-B9EC-167F1EEA6BA1.jpeg

4754AFA5-A7AE-41B3-A3D9-5CB880F4079F.jpeg

Edited by STINGER93
Added one more photo - all 5 were taken within 5 minutes of one another

Coincidentally, I just decided to wear my RT1002 which I haven't worn in quite in a while. Prolly a broader appeal than the Memorial/R01 cut, as it's a mid-rise, straight taper cut w/out a drastic taper. Great cut, as are all of Roy's cuts. Now I'll have to decide if I need - really want - another pair. Because it's Roy I just might... :ph34r:

So I have a story to share regarding Roy which makes me lean towards only ever buying and wearing his jeans from here on out. I just recently created a sufu account and wasn’t sure if I wanted to share this story or not but here it goes. 

When the memorial jeans released I knew I needed a pair because I loved the patch and story behind them, and the cut which was straighter than the two previous pairs of Roy’s I have which are the SF01 and KS1002. So I went onto his site at the exact release time and they were already sold out in my size, which most people here could probably attest to. I guess it turned out that the PayPal order system opened a few minutes early or something which led to orders going through before the actual release time. 

So, I emailed Roy basically saying how much I loved and respected his work, and how bummed I was that I missed out on the pair and was wondering if he had any future projects planned that I could look forward to. Roy promptly responded and told me he had plenty of fabric left over and when he finished some other projects he had lined up, he would email me for sizing and contact info to make me a pair. Sure enough after a few weeks I get another email from Roy basically asking if I still wanted the jeans and asking for my PayPal info. So I sent Roy the invoice and after a few weeks the jeans arrived. 

I emailed Roy letting him know the jeans arrived and he proceeded to then email me back and forth offering his advice regarding soaking and cleaning the jeans down the road and also told me I could email him whenever  to let him know how it goes. To this day the memorials are my favorite jeans, and whenever I throw them on I’m reminded of how they were basically one off jeans made for me by Roy. 

TLDR: missed out on memorial jeans, reached out to Roy, he made me my own pair. Roy is the man, and I will be buying the new RT jeans and whatever other things he makes. 

Edited by JohnnyUtah247