Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

I've worn them fairly regularly for a couple of years now. Think they came out sometime in 2015.

The contrast is actually much better in person. Was quite overcast when I took the photos, and it doesn't show that well here.

They are made from black seed denim.

Edited by UkeNo

I'm new to the forum, and a (happy) new Roy denim owner, with a question about next steps in the washing and (maybe) drying process to get my jeans all shrunk out...

I just snagged a pair of the Roy x SE R01s (size 31) and for a high-waisted jean they fit me TTS on the initial try-on. I put them through a hot machine wash (no spin), and hang dried. The waist shrunk down from 31.25" >> 30", and after roughly 4 hours of wear around they house they easily stretch out to almost 32". 32" is comfortably loose on me, and I am interested in getting all the shrinkage out of these that I can without going too crazy on the waist. That said: Can anyone attest to the ability of Cone Black Seed to stretch back out to raw measurements in the waist after a machine wash AND machine dry, perhaps on low? If I'm knocking the gate to a world of pain, let me know, and I will take heed.

On 2/23/2019 at 1:01 PM, Dreigh said:

I just snagged a pair of the Roy x SE R01s (size 31) and for a high-waisted jean they fit me TTS on the initial try-on. I put them through a hot machine wash (no spin), and hang dried. The waist shrunk down from 31.25" >> 30", and after roughly 4 hours of wear around they house they easily stretch out to almost 32". 32" is comfortably loose on me, and I am interested in getting all the shrinkage out of these that I can without going too crazy on the waist. That said: Can anyone attest to the ability of Cone Black Seed to stretch back out to raw measurements in the waist after a machine wash AND machine dry, perhaps on low? If I'm knocking the gate to a world of pain, let me know, and I will take heed.

I don't tumble dry my jeans, but on low I assume they will stretch back. I line dry mine and the waist does stretch back. Sounds like this might be your first pair of unsanforized... remember tumble drying will shrink all of the dimensions, but not everything stretches back like the waist does. But really, we are talking quarters of inches here, so don't lose sleep over it!

36 minutes ago, UkeNo said:

@jegr What did you decide in the end? How are they coming along now? 

I settled on the pair I snapped pictures in, the 32s. I’m planning on giving them a warm machine wash later this week and i’ll be sure to follow up with the fit.

Just threw my Memorial Jeans in the wash again, will try to take some photos this weekend.
I really want to send my RS04's off to get hemmed so I can start wearing those, a lot of people say that's the best Cone ever produced.
Or at least the best that Roy's worked with!

My pair of RS04 looked like that once... 

They were becoming pretty threadbare a few years ago so I sent them out for repairs. The darning on the thighs and crotch came back so thick they weren’t very comfortable. I’m sure they would’ve softened up again with wear, but sort of lost interest in being uncomfortable. Plus the repairs were so extensive they were barely the same pants anymore.

Or maybe I just got fat and they didn’t fit...

Still have the jeans. They are going on 7 years old now! Will never get rid of them (not that they’d be much use to anyone!). Maybe my daughter will wear them one day, or a son if I have one. I’ll post some pics soon. 

The darning job from indigo proof really is very impressive, despite the thickness of the fabric. The thread color is perfectly blended and it looks like a natural fade, despite being essentially new blue and grey thread.

Edited by Quoise1203

I have primarily been rotating a pair of Cone Project denim (KS1002) and Black Seed (RT1002) for the last 3 years and I still cannot figure out which denim I like better. It is usually whichever I am wearing, currently the cone project denim, same as the RS04. It seems like a lot of people prefer the original contest denim most of all from his stuff, but unfortunately the rare pairs that come up on eBay are all pretty worn. 

I had both pairs fixed up at Indigo proof last summer and had a similar issue with the thickness of the crotch repair on the KS1002s/mostly the weight I had gained, but they broke in pretty quickly again. The cone project denim seems to have about as much stretch as the black seed has shrink. 

On 2/21/2019 at 5:18 PM, UkeNo said:

I've worn them fairly regularly for a couple of years now. Think they came out sometime in 2015.

The contrast is actually much better in person. Was quite overcast when I took the photos, and it doesn't show that well here.

They are made from black seed denim.

has your pair been through the dryer?

Finally got around to washing the Roy x Self Edge R01's I picked up a couple weeks back. I washed them twice to get all the shrinkage out, once through the machine on warm/delicate and once hot/normal. It seems the hot wash was overkill though as the measurements were the same pre/post that last wash.

Roy x Self Edge R01 tag size 32

Measurements after Roy’s 15 minute soak.
Waist - 32
Front rise - 12.5
Back rise - 16.5
Thigh at crotch - 13.5
Thigh 1” down - 13
Knee 14” down - 9.5
Hem - 8.75
Inseam - 35.25

Warm machine wash
Waist - 30.5
Front rise - 12
Back rise - 16
Thigh at crotch - 13.25
Thigh 1” down - 12.6
Knee 14” down - 9
Hem - 8.5
Inseam - 33.5

Thanks to everyone who helped me size these, the 33s would have been too loose for my liking. They could definitely still use a trip through the dryer but I'm going to wear them as is for a bit and embrace the extra air flow.

IMG_2029.jpeg

IMG_2030.jpg

Edited by jegr
Include tag size

2 hours ago, mpukas said:

Very good fit. IMO a size up would have been too big. Well done! Are you gonna get them hemmed or cuffs? 

Lately, on my warehouse 800 c/l’s, i’ve been liking a larger single cuff cuffed a bit higher for sneakers. I’m thinking about going the same route with these but will still need around 3 inches hemmed off. Short legs.