Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

54 minutes ago, jegr said:

A little bit of helping talking me into or out of these.  How does the black seed denim breathe? Would I be punishing myself as much as I think wearing these in the Florida heat?

Also, I've seen different sizing advice on the cut but given the high rise and large all around measurements is sizing down one or two safe even with the amount of shrinkage expected? I usually shoot for something between a 32-33 waist and was thinking a 32 with a hot wash or two would be good... although I've never had something with this kind of rise and I wouldn't want them falling down...

Black seed denim is the perfect year round jean IMO. 

When it comes to sizing, i usually get 32 in Roy but I bought 33 in the test lots because this denim does NOT stop shrinking. (Machine washing and drying them def plays a factor in that) I don’t baby my jeans... but I have stopped putting them in the dryer. I say go true to size or even size up one. They will mold to your legs and become your new favorite pair. I can guarantee that.

Size normal. Don’t size down. 

Shrinkage varies I usually got 1” maybe a little more in the waist. 

I’ve seen other get 2+ inches of shrink in the waist. All depends how you wash I guess. 

I'm on the fence about them, too, @jegr. I don't own any Roy jeans and would like to get a pair before the Black Seed denim is gone for good. But, the price is steep and I would hate to make a sizing error spending that kind of cash.

Since the R01 "Best Buds" jeans have been through a 20 minute rinse in tepid water, I'm guessing they will shrink more with a hot wash and/or tumble dry. The discrepancy between the measurements on the Self Edge and Roy websites is a bit confusing. From what I've read in this thread about Memorial and R01 Test Lot jeans, it sounds like they end up at tag size or slightly larger in the waist after multiple wash/dry, wear/stretch cycles. Does that sound accurate @Broark and @julian-wolf?

44 minutes ago, Josh'N'Roll said:

I'm on the fence about them, too, @jegr. I don't own any Roy jeans and would like to get a pair before the Black Seed denim is gone for good. But, the price is steep and I would hate to make a sizing error spending that kind of cash.

Since the R01 "Best Buds" jeans have been through a 20 minute rinse in tepid water, I'm guessing they will shrink more with a hot wash and/or tumble dry. The discrepancy between the measurements on the Self Edge and Roy websites is a bit confusing. From what I've read in this thread about Memorial and R01 Test Lot jeans, it sounds like they end up at tag size or slightly larger in the waist after multiple wash/dry, wear/stretch cycles. Does that sound accurate @Broark and @julian-wolf?

I believe the measurements on Roy's website are not for the run that he did for self edge. That was for his previous run that was a little different of a fit and not soaked. The self edge model was lukewarm soaked by roy for 20 minutes so if you machine wash in cold, it'll shrink up only a little bit. If you're washing on warm and drying, then you're going to get significant shrink. Given how much my RT1002 shrank with multiple warm washes, you'd probably get almost another size of shrink if you also dry it. 

Edited by youngofthesoonest

4 minutes ago, ecsong187 said:

So how many pairs will end up for sale because they sizes wrong? Expensive mistake to make. Haha 

eh I don't expect this to be any different than any other unsanforized model of jean by any brand. This is actually a lot easier because you can buy the size that fits you just right and stick to cold gentle cycle washes (or the suggested roy bathtub wash) or you can buy a little bigger and do your normal wash/dry cycle. 

Edited by youngofthesoonest

A few comments... I find it confusing that the SE model is called the R01, but it has different measurements than the R01 Roy sold himself. If it is truly a different cut, then why not call it something different? 

I agree w/ what others have previously said about the denim continuing to shrink after subsequent washes. IMO, give them 2 hot washes and run or two through the dryer to get all the shrink out, and avoid any surprises in the future. Especially if you're gonna get them hemmed! They can shrink in length up to almost 4". I got 2" shrink in the waist and expect them to stretch at least 1". 

At least on the Memorial/R01/Test Lot cut, due to the high rise and fullness of the leg, sizing down 1 is fine. I had a 34 in the Memorial's and they were too big. I have a 32 in the Test Lot and they are PERFECT. I also have a 33 in the RT1002 which are nearly perfect as well. I first purchased a 32 in the RT1002, but knew they would be too small and exchanged for a 33. 

11 minutes ago, goodrain said:

I think the measurements are only different because Roy's are for the raw pair and SE's is for the quick one wash pair

+1 I was going to say this in my comments above but forgot to... :blush:

As hyped as I was on this release I just don't think the fit is what I'm looking for. 
Roy def has a style he likes to do and sticks with it on with his releases but the high waist and wide leg is just not for me. 

Looking forward to seeing everyones fit pics. Best of luck to everyone trying to get a pair, I wish you all success.

On 2/10/2019 at 5:34 PM, MJF9 said:

Freshly laundered chambray from 22/9/2012 still going strong 6+ years on... love this faithful old shirt... think there were only 45 made so must have had lucky fingers on sale day... (forgive the phone flash pics in failing winter light)...

2019-02-10 17.20.45.jpg

I got one of these as well....1 in 22.5 of these shirts is in Sussex :)

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback and their experiences with the Black Seed denim. Self Edge updated the description on the product page, so there is more detail on the cut, denim, pocket bags, etc. It also includes the absolutely crucial information that the model's chest is 41". I wouldn't feel comfortable buying the jeans not knowing this. :D

4 hours ago, goodrain said:

"reworked version of his popular R01 model"

That just means the details are different but not the cut, right?

That's kinda how I read it. The measurements look nearly identical IMO.
I think some of y'all are underestimating how nice this cut it, embrace the looser fit. B)
vx6m6lsugvlh4dvozayq.jpg

1 hour ago, Broark said:

I think some of y'all are underestimating how nice this cut it, embrace the looser fit. B)

I'm not against the looser fit. It's the leg opening that gets me. The wide LO just doesn't work with trainers\sneakers unless you're cuffing them high above the sneaker to show some socks and thats just not how I wear my jeans.

I'll be in NYC on Friday and I'm sure I'll try them on, I just don't think they will be what I'm looking for. 

Hey all.. just a note on the shipping and hemming and some other things...

Hemming is free for all jeans bought in-store and $15 for all jeans bought online, this has always been the deal.  Shipping is free for all jeans, shirts, jackets, etc.. in our online store unless the item is heavily discounted.  With these jeans the margin is extremely small for us, smaller than anything we've ever carried so we have no choice but to charge shipping, and what we're charging is actually less than the actual cost to ship these jeans to you using a fast service.

We're stocking these because we want our more recent client base to know about how magical Roy's jeans are.  We want to show a new generation of raw denim guys what this guy in Oakland is capable of.  You guys within this thread are (mostly) old school denim guys and have been buying Roy's jeans for years either from Self Edge or directly from Roy, and this new jean is a fun little take on the R01 model he's been making for the past 11 months.  This release came about because I personally love what Roy does and wanted to show our newer clients what a truly hand-made jean looks like.   With that said, even if you own Roy's past jeans you will appreciate how tight his sewing tolerances have become with this new model, how clever his branding style is now, and how well he's able to make a truly well fitting pair of straight leg jeans.

18 hours ago, mpukas said:

@elmcitizen you could get them tapered by RCFG. They do excellent work. But some might consider that blashemphy.... :blink:

@mpukas That is exactly how I see it. Why should I modify the jeans to suit my needs when someone out there wants them as is? You never know, maybe ROY produces a pair that is the fit I want next?

(And I have had RCFG taper jeans before and they do produce wonderful results)

8 hours ago, elmcitizen said:

@mpukas That is exactly how I see it. Why should I modify the jeans to suit my needs when someone out there wants them as is? You never know, maybe ROY produces a pair that is the fit I want next?

(And I have had RCFG taper jeans before and they do produce wonderful results)

Personally, I have no issue with tapering a pair of Roy's. Roy probably does (I'm not ripping on him, I love the guy and his passion, and I don't even know him). They're your jeans, and if you can have them altered to make them more perfect for you, then why not? Of course it needs to be done by someone who really, really knows what they are doing, otherwise it could  be a complete disaster and a waste of a beautiful pair. I find it strange that some modifications to jeans are acceptable, while some are not.