Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

Thanks for the information @mpukas! My pair has been stuck in US customs for a week, and after seeing measurements from other people, I got a little worried that I chose a size that was too small. I'm more confident now that my pair will be fine sizing-wise. Super helpful!

To each their own as to how they want their pants to fit. IMO the waist on a high rise cut is meant to be somewhere between the top of hip bones and navel. If a high rise cut is sized too big, then the waist ends up at or below hip bones - even with a belt -  and looks a bit dumpy - like my IH-888-UHR, which are a size too big for me now... 

I've said it several times before, but that's why I think Roy did such a great job with this cut. Now that I've got the right size for my body size/shape, the waist lands right were it's supposed to. I'm just not sure when I'm gonna get some wear on them, as I'm currently sporting my Levi's 511 selvedge, and irresponsibly have some other "things" inbound... :blush:

On 10/29/2018 at 9:05 AM, julian-wolf said:

I think that was probably me. The full measurements for my pair (pre-wash -> post-wash, in inches) are

waist: 34.75 -> 31.5

front rise: 13 -> 12.25

rear rise: 17.75 -> 16.5

thigh (0"): 13.75 -> 13

thigh (2"): 13 -> 12.25

inseam: 36 -> 32.5

Wash was done on "medium". Not sure what temp. that amounts to.

edit: Tag size is 33.

That's some serious shrinkage Julian -- over 3" in both the waist and inseam.  Did you hang or machine dry these?  Thanks, John.

@JohnM: Machine-washed, air-dryed. The post-wash measurements were taken as soon as they dried—the waist feels like it's stretched out about an inch since then, after three or four days of wear, and I expect it'll give a little more in time. Once they feel like they've settled down I'll post up another set of measurements.

Hi guys, my memorial jeans are up for a wash tonight. This will be the 5th wash in as many months of wear. I live in a tropical country and never really bothered with a dryer. A new laundromat opened near my house and i was wondering if i should use a dryer this time on these. Do you think these still have shrinkage left?

54 minutes ago, Broark said:

I think after that many washes you should be good on shrinkage but if you can afford any more then go for it. Let’s see some photos!

I will post some photos later tonight after i wash these. The color is changing nicely but nothing too extreme. These fade slow, like SDAs.

• 2 weeks later...

First time poster here, longtime on the LVC thread and catching up here.  

Lucky enough to nab a pair of the R01 test lot in 36, still raw and fits perfect in waist, with at least a half inch of give and about 3” extra on inseam (35”).

Having read a range of shrinkage stats on these and recent similar cuts, want to tap collective knowledge here on Roys and the black seed denim, as to whether I’m good or going to cut off blood supply to lower extremities if I soak/rinse.

Should I: 

soak and stretch

soak and dry while wearing

give up and pass on to someone here who knows better.

They’re perfect jeans, don’t want to screw up my first pair of Roys, or leRoys as it were.  Thank you!!

Check out my previous posts re Roy R01 jean's and his black seed denim to see how much mine shrank. There a lot of shrink in that denim. But it depends on how you wash them. If you give them a short cold soak they'll shrink a little. If you wash them hot and dry them 2 or 3 times they'll shrink a lot - 2.5" in waist and as almost 4" in length. The waist will stretch depending stress. 

However you wash or soak your jeans, turn them inside out to avoid indigo loss at creases. 

After a couple of weeks of wear my pair seems to have settled down and stopped stretching, so now should be as good a time as any to post the final(ish) measurements. Tag size is 33; measurements are given in inches (pre-wash -> immediately post-wash -> now):

waist: 34.75 -> 31.5 -> 33.5

front rise: 13 -> 12.25 -> 12.5

rear rise: 17.75 -> 16.5 -> 17.25

thigh (0"): 13.75 -> 13 -> 13.25

thigh (2"): 13 -> 12.25 -> 12.5

inseam: 36 -> 32.5 -> 32.5

Competing wisdom, that’s what I’ve been mulling over, lol!  I’ve broken in a ton of raw denim, and while rare is the pair that fits initially that you can’t get back to initial waist size after soaking, washing and drying can definitely make that happen - and loomstate denims are more unpredictable in either case. 

Julian, did you machine dry?

^ Nope, machine wash warm then out in the sun to dry. I would be really surprised if these ever made it back to their pre-soak waist size. The fabric might be able to do so if the jeans were rocking a lower rise—I can't speak to its ability to stretch in general, since this is my only pair of Blackseed—but given where these hit the body there's just not a ton of pressure on the waistband.

31 minutes ago, goodrain said:

what is the leg opening?

Leg opening went from 9" pre-soak to ~8.4" post-soak.

You will get a stretch in the waist of 1-1.5 inches once all the shrink is done.

All my Black seed pairs have shrunk for the first 2 maybe 3 washes/soaks - most noticeably the length, waist and thigh seemed to be pretty stable after the initial wash. Might be worth noting that this denim has shrunk more than most others ive owned.

Edited by UkeNo

8 hours ago, UkeNo said:

You will get a stretch in the waist of 1-1.5 inches once all the shrink is done.

All my Black seed pairs have shrunk for the first 2 maybe 3 washes/soaks - most noticeably the length, waist and thigh seemed to be pretty stable after the initial wash. Might be worth noting that this denim has shrunk more than most others ive owned.

What has been your overall waist and inseam shrink before stretch, UkeNo?

2 hours ago, UkeNo said:

I really don't know. They shrink to tag and then stretch out slightly due to wear. This is exactly as Roy describes it as well. 

What we know so far:  

Roy’s blackseed Cone is the Goldilocks of denim: shrinks excessively, hardly at all, or somewhere in between.  

I’m going to jump on the grenade and gamble.  Wish me luck.

Will shrink them in the tub overnight, but while wearing them...with a scuba mask on so I don’t drown while sleeping.

Wish me luck, I’m willing them to the moderator in case things go awry.

Edited by cjfergs

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Good call cjfergs.  If you're a side sleeper, try sleeping on your back so you don't shrink one leg more than the other.

It’s getting a little cold, but can tough it out.  Putting the phone on the sink so it doesn’t accidentally fall in.  

My fam thinks it’s strange, but jokes on them when I’m wearing perfectly-fitted denim all through Thanksgiving Day and they’re in saggy mall jeans.

Should dry fast in the kitchen from the oven heat...

Here are the measurements on my Test Lot R01 jeans (size 34).  Love the hip and thigh room comfort and am confident these will turn out well.  But post-soak and stretch they're big and long -- so pics will come later, post hem.

Raw  /  Post Soak with full stretch

Waist   35.5" /   34.25"

FR      13.25 /   12.75

BR      17.75 /   17.5

Thigh   14    /    13.875

Knee   10.25  /  10

LO        9.175 /   9

Hem    39.5   /    37

If you've only soaked them once, I'd say they're about 50% fully shrunken. Don't get them hemmed too close to your desired length or you might end up like jdelage with a pair that's too short. 

Thanks mpukas -- they do feel like they have some shrink left in them.  The denim has a great look and feel at this point (heavy, dark indigo, crinkly) but they are big everywhere except the waist, which is not the jeans' fault ;-)  Breaking these in is 'interesting', because they're roomy and very long.  Not used to rockin' a 4-5" cuff ...

Edited by JohnM