Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

Got my pair yesterday and should have a little time to soak them today. Don’t usually do the “wear while soak” method, but I’m at the fat end of my spectrum right now and the size 38 I got is slightly snug in the waist. Don’t really want them to shrink up all that much in that area if I can help it. Should I manage to lose some weight (yeah right), the unsanforized fabric should hopefully shrink a couple inches in the waist and still be slightly snug, just the way I like my jeans to fit. The rest of the Jean is definitely relaxed through the seat/thigh and should be real comfortable for motorcycle riding. Length is as advertised, extra-long, and will still be plenty long for my 6’4” frame post shrinkage and stacked over some boots. Overall very good fit, I’m thrilled with what Roy calls “an ill-fitting garment by design and this is what gives them their unique look.”

Takeaway on the fabric: nice and smooth hand but a surprisingly streaky appearance. I wasn’t expecting that but it looks really cool. Nowhere near as evenly saturated as department store 501’s, but considering the good results I’ve had with standard STF’s, these should be looking great with some wear. First pair of Roy’s and I’m not disappointed. As a long time Levi’s wearer, I couldn’t be more stoked on this test lot. No pics forthcoming, there’s a good reason for that too...

Got my R01 32's today Details are great! Starting a kitchen reno project, so I won't be able to give them any attention for a few weeks... 

I managed some quick raw fit pics. I'm glad I went with a 32 this time. The fit on these raw is similar to my previous Memorial 34's. Once fully shrunken and hemmed I think these will be an ideal fit for me. Giving them a cold soak and hand wash now. I usually like to follow with a 2nd hot wash to get more shrink out, but not sure when I'll be able to do that... Quite a change from the Levi's 511 thigh girdles I've been wearing for the past few weeks, LOL! 

I think this lot is some of Roy's best work (at least as far as I've seen). The detailing and stitching is SSOOOOOO good. The patch and back pockets (not just the stitching but the size & shape) are awesome (but can't be shown publicly). 

20181028_144357.thumb.jpg.f59e3403350b33e629c1f8473ed14fc7.jpg

20181028_144509.thumb.jpg.d8f6053b15cdb4a923c0f93b7242e033.jpg

3 hours ago, eeejayaich said:

I would love to know your pre and post measurements. I sized up but the shrinkage someone over on DBro got from his pair has me thinking I did not size up enough.

I think that was probably me. The full measurements for my pair (pre-wash -> post-wash, in inches) are

waist: 34.75 -> 31.5

front rise: 13 -> 12.25

rear rise: 17.75 -> 16.5

thigh (0"): 13.75 -> 13

thigh (2"): 13 -> 12.25

inseam: 36 -> 32.5

Wash was done on "medium". Not sure what temp. that amounts to.

edit: Tag size is 33.

Edited by julian-wolf

4 hours ago, eeejayaich said:

^ I would love to know your pre and post measurements. I sized up but the shrinkage someone over on DBro got from his pair has me thinking I did not size up enough. 

Eeejay what size are your pair ?

Wearing them for the first time today. They're still pretty loose after the initial soak so I will do a warm wash + dry, maybe tonight. The cut is great - what I think of as typical 1955 stuff: high rise, relaxed straight legs.

R01 update: wash #1: cold soak, cold hand wash cycle, low spin, hot dryer until damp; wash #2:hot hand wash cycle, low spin, hot dryer until damp. Hot steam iron. 

With no wear on these yet, the waist sits right below my navel, hips are just snug, thighs are roomy. With a little wear, the waist will stretch and the jeans will drop down on about an 1" and sit at my hip bones, without a belt. IMO, this is how a high rise straight-slight taper cut should be. Roy has done a great job with this pattern. 

PS: I knew how much they'd shrink in length - 3.75" +/-, and I should have had Roy hem them to 37.0" for me, so I wouldn't have to have them hemmed afterwards. 

Raw/post soak measurements; 

waist laid flat: 16.5" - 15.5" 

waist front and back aligned: 17.0" - 15.875" 

front rise: 13.0" - 12.25"

back rise: 17.5" - 16.25" 

thigh @ crotch: 13.5" - 13.0" 

thigh @ 2": 12.875" - 12.375" 

knee @ 14": 9.625" - 9.125" 

hem: 8.875" - 8.5" 

inseam: 38.5" - 34.75" 

20181103_130540.thumb.jpg.0d675edcc22f00e2995d13dab959f457.jpg

20181103_130552.thumb.jpg.531a3c13bcd841bb5ecf5fefb74a7220.jpg

20181103_130559.thumb.jpg.d3a6e472b5337de073293c56803b2dde.jpg

They're a little snug in the waist, but not too tight. No problem buttoning at all. As stated, with wear they'll stretch out about an inch in the waist and hips. 

Thanks for the information @mpukas! My pair has been stuck in US customs for a week, and after seeing measurements from other people, I got a little worried that I chose a size that was too small. I'm more confident now that my pair will be fine sizing-wise. Super helpful!