Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

I picked up a pair of RT1002 last week.  Roy said it'd be a couple of weeks since he had an event he needed to attend, but I guess he burned the midnight oil since it ended up being less than a week.  I warm soaked for 15 minutes and man does this stuff shrink--1.5" waist, 2.75" inseam, .75" thigh and 1" back rise.  Quite starchy & showing a little bit of leg twist, but what a well made pair of jeans.  Scalloped stitching, lined back pockets & nice smooth, even fabric.  I'm looking forward to breaking these in.  Hopefully the weather continues to cooperate.

@repete66219 congrats on the new Roy jeans! Roy does indeed make a beautifully constructed pair of jeans. Assuming yours are made with his black seed denim, that denim does shrink a lot. There'll still shrink with subsequent washings, if you've only soaked them for 15 minutes. The common advice around here is to get as much shrink out as possible up front, but Roy recommends just soaking them and wearing them for a few months before washing again. It's up to you. Enjoy however you choose! mpp

They’re solid so far. Only tearing is at the stacks and the pocket opening where I put my tools daily. 

Crotch and knees are still solid 

On 4/25/2018 at 4:10 PM, mpukas said:

@repete66219 congrats on the new Roy jeans! Roy does indeed make a beautifully constructed pair of jeans. Assuming yours are made with his black seed denim, that denim does shrink a lot. There'll still shrink with subsequent washings, if you've only soaked them for 15 minutes. The common advice around here is to get as much shrink out as possible up front, but Roy recommends just soaking them and wearing them for a few months before washing again. It's up to you. Enjoy however you choose! mpp

Thanks!  Yes, it's the black seed.  I followed Roy's advice and soaked for 15 minutes.  It was with hot water and consistent agitation, so hopefully I got most all of the shrink out.  I'll wear them until they're dirty (or the knee bags start bothering me) and we'll see what happens.

I have about 6 days of wear on them and they're breaking in very nicely, both in terms of the fabric softening--this stuff was pretty stiff--and conforming to fit.  They're a real joy to wear.

Edited by repete66219

Hey. Looking to buy a pair of OG Roy's or one of his other slim fits, in size 31 or 32. 

Either raw/barely worn or ripped up and faded. 

Anybody got a pair they're not wearing anymore? 

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I can't compete with ecsong, but here are my Roy Test Lots.  Front only because reasons.  A fair amount of wear on these (at least 90 days, I think), lots of bike rides, and mostly during the warm and sweaty months.  2 or 3 handwashes.  Aaaand... not much to show for it.  This denim takes a very long time to reveal its true character, apparently.  Fit is my absolute favorite of all of my jeans.  Construction and detail are fantastic (you'll have to take my word for it).  The denim is finally starting to impress, too, but I'd say the jury is still out.  Threw them in the washing machine for the first time Thursday; maybe that will help.

I also tossed in a Roy denim work shirt.  Didn't take "before" pics of that one because despite lots of wear it still looks almost new -- hairy and purple.  Maybe I need to roll around on the ground a bit.  We'll see what it looks like when it dries.  I try not to be too precious about my denim, but it is very hard to convince yourself to machine wash a garment when the guy who made it literally hand embroidered the words "Hand wash only" on the inside.  :unsure2:

IMG_1210.thumb.jpg.0f3b53ff11d4a3cfebe19204dac74890.jpg

Kinda fitting in light of the above pair from @lefty, here's a pair of brand new RS04s!
@lance was kind enough to send me a message about these, he got them years ago and never soaked or wore them (only applied some conditioner to the patch).
The denim on these is really nice, has a lot more texture and some more heft compared to his other denims used.
Another one ticked off the list in my quest to buy all of Roy's jeans. :D That goes without saying, if you have any 36 Roy jeans or XL/XXL shirts I'm your guy. :ph34r:
ICQdBBn.jpg
0jB6w5Z.jpg
5fnIpfB.jpg
puO5z1g.jpg
XNgod4g.jpg
EAuULZi.jpg
qbQYmax.jpg
Hc0YJY1.jpg
NC2qzTN.jpg

I might have to sell my Roy Big Bros unfortunately. I had them hemmed at Blue Owl but they kept shrinking and they're getting a tad short....

(Edit: Size 34 Peanut, measurements to follow)

Edited by JDelage

Here are the key measurements on my Roy Peanut:

Inseam is 29.5" (it feels longer than that because the cut is high waisted and the pants tend to slide down an inch  or more from the natural waist)

Waist is 17"

Frnt rise is 12.5"

Back rise is 17"

Thighs at crotch: 13.25", then 12.75" two inches down from crotch

Knees at 13" 9.5"

Leg opening: 8.5"

Here are a few pics (most accurate color is the back pocket with the white label on):A4779DDD-A771-469A-AB48-94BE1A458A36.thumb.jpeg.900f3f98853b52104ef40685adbc93be.jpeg

B693BC33-152C-4354-8652-C7CBE8EDC0BD.jpeg

D615FE45-599B-4C90-9FC6-11E2FC17AB29.jpeg

8740CFC6-EDC4-4376-B791-EB3D59332528.jpeg

98CDFFA9-E132-4B51-93CD-A65CDC50F5DA.jpeg

BF7AB0CF-3990-4613-9D27-CD25C9E2EA95.jpeg

BE7CC134-2C48-413E-BBDE-68BB2BE62AAE.jpeg

A4779DDD-A771-469A-AB48-94BE1A458A36.jpeg

D967A4E4-4A86-4FAA-8135-9C1E2C039538.jpeg

Edited by JDelage