Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

Anyone going to Mike Hodis’ 2nd Hand Revival?

He said ROY will be there and have 8 pairs of denim for sale at the event. He also said ROY just finished sewing 60 pairs of jeans? 

Next run?? New cut? 

-Edwin 

I'm having a clear out, and trying to decide what goes. I'm going to be brutal, as I have an overfull denim box and an expensvie guitar restoration scheduled.

What do folks think I can get (reasonably) for these? Unworn boxers included. I know Dr Heech sold his pair for quite a lot, but as I recall they were hardly worn.

Damn, weren't these fantastic jeans? They probably have the best fades of anything I've owned in the last 20 years. The duck detailing is phenomenal, and this too is a trademark Cone fabric. My first ever Roy item was a duck bag he made for Cone, before he set up his operation.

DSC04513.jpg

DSC04514.jpg

DSC04515.jpg

DSC04516.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Would you all be so kind as to given me some reality check feedback that these KS 002s pair are too large even for a retro style     Pics are crappy but as you can see not awful from the first front pic but I’m pretty sure downhill from there. Thanks 

E953878D-6190-46DA-A0BE-DC8AB8E29513.jpeg

5833D0FA-0F52-478B-BAC8-4671DD368263.jpeg

628BF3E4-0722-4EBE-8E9A-E1EEFF3014C7.jpeg

90B53A6D-505E-4177-9DE1-F1706B487DC4.jpeg

Edited by kbuzz

@kbuzz - are they raw or washed and already shrunken? Like Mason said, it depends on what kind of fit you're looking for, but unlike Mason I think they're too large. If they are raw, then they'll shrink and might be a better fit if that's what you're after. . 

I gave my Memorial Jeans a cold soak for an hour, and then a hand wash cycle. They shrunk considerably, as I expected. Successful washing with no ill effects. The patch still looks good, some indigo bleed and a little wrinkling, but the red ink and size indication are fine. 

Overall I think the fit now is pretty good. This is definitely a fuller, looser, wider cut than anything else I've been wearing since I got into raw denim and left my old baggy Levi's 559s behind. They don't look as big in the pics as they feel when wearing. That'll just take some getting used to. ATM, the waist and hips are spot on perfect, but will stretch out some. I could have/should have sized down to a 33. The hips and waist would have been tight after shrinking, but they would have stretched out perfectly. The rise and thighs would have been perfect too, as I think they are just a little big. Debating hemming, as I usually don't wear cuffs. I think this is an amazing cut, and Roy really nailed it with this one. The only thing I'd prefer different is the rear pocket height, by making them about 0.75" - 1" taller. I think they look a bit squat, and when I put my phone or wallet in them they stick out at the top. 

Pre- and post- wash measurements for comparison, size 34; 

• waist: 17.25 - 16.5 
  • FR: 13.25 - 12.25 
  • BR: 17.0 - 16.125 
  • Thigh @ crotch: 14.25 - 13.625 
  • Thigh 2" down: 13.325 - 12.625 
  • Knee @ 14" down: 10.125 - 9.5 
  • Hem: 9.125 - 8.75 
  • Inseam: 38.5 - 35.0 

The color in these pics is fairly accurate. 

20180216_131913.jpg.dcb234571ed5734875dc294d73779a76.jpg

20180216_131920.jpg.c44f32494e46ccc550f6ca976db76552.jpg

20180216_131930.jpg.7b6382a5a4184cf6f68e2fade5682822.jpg

20180216_132045.jpg.34c4ee9c00534d6c1d93e2e1b8136abd.jpg

2 hours ago, mpukas said:

@kbuzz - are they raw or washed and already shrunken? Like Mason said, it depends on what kind of fit you're looking for, but unlike Mason I think they're too large. If they are raw, then they'll shrink and might be a better fit if that's what you're after. . 

They have been washed once, no spin and not soaked...so they won’t shrink or tighten...thanks thus far for replies

16 hours ago, MasonAlexander said:

Personally, I think that fit looks great! I guess it all depends on what kind of silhouette that you are aiming for, but I think that looks good!

Thanks kindly for the reply.  I inserted another pic for better reference.  I’m leaning towards selling.  I thought about a taper but I think it may throw the balance off and the seat is still k)nd of big....

1 hour ago, goodrain said:

You can shrink it down further if u do another hot wash and hot machine dry

I agree with this. 

@kbuzz

Unless you've warm washed those Roy's, and done a couple of soaks then there's more shrink to be had. Mine shrank during the first three or four soak/washes. They always stretch past tagged size and go back to tag after washing. 

You'll be pleasantly surprised with them after another warm wash I think. 

Edited by UkeNo

On 2/17/2018 at 8:44 PM, JDelage said:

I think the memorial jeans is an awesome cut.

What's rather amazing about this cut is that it's a high rise cut that stays at my waist, and doesn't slip down to my hips. 

I'm still a little fearful they'll stretch out with extended wear and be too loose in the waist and hips. Still, loving them. 

Hi there, I finally dare to contribute to this kind of denim cornucopia! Pardon my English, I am French.

14 hours ago, goodrain said:

can someone post a fit pic of the Memorials or Peanuts with sneakers? I have only seen fit pics with boots so far

Here are my Peanuts after a cold wash, a few months ago. It shrank a lot and could shrink more, but I want to keep a fuller silhouette with this one. Sneakers are Common Projects.

fullsizeoutput_42b_zpsex3i3kjm.jpeg

Also, more recent miscellaneous shots, taking advantage of the sun: denim hairiness, coin pocket (shaped like the back ones, love that, and the pocket fabric is quite sturdy), comparison with my beloved WH 800 and so-so ONIs... Roy makes some fine pants, for sure!

IMG_5096_zpskkztulkm.jpg

IMG_9141_zpscivw1adm.jpg

IMG_7152_zpsz41ptgyz.jpg

On 2/17/2018 at 5:47 PM, kbuzz said:

Would you all be so kind as to given me some reality check feedback that these KS 002s pair are too large even for a retro style     Pics are crappy but as you can see not awful from the first front pic but I’m pretty sure downhill from there. Thanks 

E953878D-6190-46DA-A0BE-DC8AB8E29513.jpeg

5833D0FA-0F52-478B-BAC8-4671DD368263.jpeg

628BF3E4-0722-4EBE-8E9A-E1EEFF3014C7.jpeg

90B53A6D-505E-4177-9DE1-F1706B487DC4.jpeg

So thanks everyone for the input.  I have decided im going to sell .....if anyone is interested in these KS tagged 36, Please let me know..

FWIW, I have a few pairs of Roy jeans, including KS1001, KS1002, and Test Lot 00 and have found the Cone Denim to not be especially stretchy.  While they will stretch a little after soaking or washing, they stretch significantly less than other jeans I'm familiar with (e.g., Fullcount, Ooe, Warehouse, Samurai).  YMMV, of course, but just wanted to pass on my experience.

Some Black Seed denim love, fresh out of the washer and dryer.
Gotten to the point with these Test Lot jeans that I'll wash them once a week.
First photo is a little washed out, color on the second photo is the most accurate.
kdKAptQ.jpg
Da4Ykv2.jpg
8Bjt1m7.jpg

On 2/20/2018 at 2:56 PM, Broark said:

Nice comparison shots.
After going through all 165 pages of this thread recently (I have no life) Photobucket really fucked things up. :angry:

yes, they are bastards. They tried extortion and that didn't work so they threw away everyone's contributions.

I've worked out a way I don't have to sell my Roys by the way. Which I'm happy about for obvious reasons.

inthedark.jpg