Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

On 6/22/2017 at 4:09 AM, Broark said:

Anyone else grab the stripe shirt?
I'll be sure to post thoughts/pictures once it arrives.

I picked up an XL Broark -- was torn between L and XL.  Looking forward to it.  Roy makes good stuff and it's nice to support a one man operation.

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

I picked up an XL Broark -- was torn between L and XL.  Looking forward to it.  Roy makes good stuff and it's nice to support a one man operation.

I had the same problem, torn between S and M and went with the M, hopefully it works out! 

Just got the new shirt, the fabric is great. Photos don't really do it justice, really soft and looks a bit more beige/cream colored as opposed to white.
I still think the stripes kind of look blue, but it's likely due to the way the white color is twisted into the black stripes.
This is my second Roy long sleeve shirt, I sure do hope he does some more going forward. A flannel would be awesome.
uTyboTj.jpg?1
shf4wPk.jpg
3KJ2LSh.jpg?1
HDXaGMm.jpg
ZSJivWP.jpg

Unfortunately for me my shirt fits a bit bigger than I would like, even after a hot soak, so if anyone got a small and is looking to go up to a medium shoot me a message. 

I will put up some fit pics later though, it's not so big that it looks weird on me, it's just a bit too big in the chest for my liking. 

I was torn between L and XL and went with XL, which was the right choice.  Will post pics after washing.  The fit is very nice -- I normally wear a 16/34 dress shirt and this one is a similar but a little bigger (especially in the neck) but a wash should bring it in.  As Broark said, it's more beige/cream colored than white, so this is something to keep in mind.  I really like it and hope that Roy will do another blue chambray at some point.

14 hours ago, Broark said:

shf4wPk.jpg

Hey Broark, do you mind describing what the inner edge of the placket is like in person? I'm really fascinated by it but can't tell if it's part of the fabric or some specialized stitch. What caught my eye was the light coming through at the top--seems interesting that it's made those little perforations. Thanks!

I don't have the shirt at hand to confirm this, but based on what I can see and my own experiences this looks like an embroidery stitch to fix the front top placket.

this can be achieved by manually pulling specific warp yarns (easy since the fabric is striped) from the cut front panel and finishing it with an embroidery/decorative stitch.

something you won't find in mass production these days...

Edited by Foxy2

I believe Foxy is quite right, Roy finishes all his shirts like this.
It's also nice because it creates a piece of fabric that sits behind the back of the buttons, hiding the back of the button hole stitches.
On that piece of fabric that sits behind the buttons he also uses selvedge running the whole front placket of the shirt.
I'll take some photos of this one the couple of Roy shirts that I have and post them here.

14 hours ago, JohnM said:

I was torn between L and XL and went with XL, which was the right choice.  Will post pics after washing.  The fit is very nice -- I normally wear a 16/34 dress shirt and this one is a similar but a little bigger (especially in the neck) but a wash should bring it in.  As Broark said, it's more beige/cream colored than white, so this is something to keep in mind.  I really like it and hope that Roy will do another blue chambray at some point.

Would be interested in the post wash measurements if possible JohnM.

Here's what I was referring to with the front placket.
From the front:
zP4cRxC.jpg
From the inside of the shirt:
ZGlfe01.jpg
And here's what the placket looks like separated:
eyGIrGL.jpg
And here's a quick and dirty fit pic, just moved into a new place so I've gotta figure out where to take photos. :D
UOBN5XR.jpg

On 6/27/2017 at 1:28 PM, Broark said:

Just got the new shirt, the fabric is great. Photos don't really do it justice, really soft and looks a bit more beige/cream colored as opposed to white.
I still think the stripes kind of look blue, but it's likely due to the way the white color is twisted into the black stripes.
This is my second Roy long sleeve shirt, I sure do hope he does some more going forward. A flannel would be awesome.
uTyboTj.jpg?1
shf4wPk.jpg
3KJ2LSh.jpg?1
HDXaGMm.jpg
ZSJivWP.jpg

What's the shoulder measurements on yours?

Quick fit pic, it actually fits pretty well if I wear it unbuttoned over a tee, it's just when I wear it buttoned up is when it starts feeling a bit baggy.

It really is an awesome shirt though, if I don't find a small I'll still be keeping this one! 

QrJtxU7.jpg

11 hours ago, Broark said:

Here's what I was referring to with the front placket.
From the front:
zP4cRxC.jpg
From the inside of the shirt:
ZGlfe01.jpg
And here's what the placket looks like separated:
eyGIrGL.jpg

nice shots!

this clears it up - the pleats/folds are pressed, the warps yars of 1 white stripe are pulled and the whole placket is fixed with the help of that decarative/embroidery stitch (can also be done manually). crazy manual work. much like vintage hoisery and old traditional couture (Trachten) techniques. too bad this is all hidden under the top placket...

lots of selfedge and workmanship details - helps to explain the cost!

wow, that is incredible--the thought that went into all aspects of that design, the technical skill and manual labor required to pull it off, the historical nod and flawless construction to boot... I'm completely astonished by these little details in Roy's work, every time. thanks for the photos and description @Broark and @Foxy2!!

True, long sleeves would be nice.
But seeing as it's currently in the triple digits here and will continue to be for the next few months I'll happily take a short sleeve shirt. :D

5 hours ago, Foxy2 said:

now, that's a nice shirt - would be even nicer with long sleeves...

Agreed. But even with short sleeves, I may consider this one. Where I live I can only wear short sleeves about 3 months during the summer. 

looking into ricketts indigo, mentioned in roy's instagram post... a team of two fabric artists, Rowland and Chinami Ricketts, who specialize in indigo farming / dyeing and kasuri/ikat weaving, respectively. i'm curious what their involvement is—whether Roy is just using japanese indigo from their farm or whether there was a more substantial collaboration in terms of fabric design... interested in more details. also the buttons on that shirt look great.