Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

It'd be good to see some fade pics if you have them. Thanks

The Black Seed denim is a classic "well worth the wait" situation. All of Roy's jeans fade very slow for reasons of fabric and fit. They also benefit from very frequent washing, and do all sorts of crazy twisting and moving - exactly like actual vintage jeans. When they bloom, it's amazing, and the way they age is pretty special. But they definitely take a couple years to start looking good. I've, personally, found that slower fading jeans actually end up looking better in the end (for my tastes).

I don't know, I mean it's been like years since the cone denim has been around and I haven't seen any particularly beautiful examples. I used to want a pair of Roy's super bad but seeing these faded pairs has made me way less interested... I guess i'll just stick to the japanese stuff!

I'll agree that I haven't seen spectacular examples online. I'm speaking from experience at SELA. SO many pairs come through that never get on the internet. Often they are super normal non crazy jean people. I do my best to instagram them when I catch them, but I can't get them all. 

There's some crazy faded Roy's over on DB, I think most of the guys who have had his jeans for a long time have photos over there.

I went through the thread last night and there are some pretty beat up pairs.

Would be cool to find some RS04 too.

And if anyone wants to sell any XL/XXL Roy shirts I'd love to buy those too. :P

Got my RS02's in, the denim is really nice! Haven't washed them yet, might keep them on ice for a little while.

It's cool to compare these with the other Roy's that I have, like the darker colored stitching on this pair.

HE0zi7R.jpg

HKsWwuZ.jpg

despite all the hype, you dont see many faded ROY samples. Its like everyone who bought them tucked them away for safe keeping. I really liked the RS04 denim. Its very nice, almost like a Warehouse denim. It certainly doesnt produce extreme contrasty fades. At least the ones I have seen havent.

I've worn holes in the thighs / knees of my RS04s. I'll try to post some current pics one of these days

Alright boys...who's gonna be the first to break in the RS00's black seed? To be honest I had no idea Roy was selling direct now and would've jumped on a pair ASAP had I known. Brings me back to the old days ordering direct from him, and selling off the contest pair due to fit remains my biggest regret in my denim life. I for one love the look of the black seed denim, particularly because I have a soft spot for Cone and felt the contest denim in all it's glory. I'd love to get a pair of these, blast them with frequent washes and show up in 5 years blowing everyone away lol. Alas, I have neither the money or the time! :/

Alright boys...who's gonna be the first to break in the RS00's black seed? To be honest I had no idea Roy was selling direct now and would've jumped on a pair ASAP had I known. Brings me back to the old days ordering direct from him, and selling off the contest pair due to fit remains my biggest regret in my denim life. I for one love the look of the black seed denim, particularly because I have a soft spot for Cone and felt the contest denim in all it's glory. I'd love to get a pair of these, blast them with frequent washes and show up in 5 years blowing everyone away lol. Alas, I have neither the money or the time! :/

I definitely would be up for it, but I've got my contest Ooe jeans that are getting more of the wear these days.

I do wear my test lot 00's pretty often (mainly when I'm not wearing the 1702XX's) and they're great jeans.

I was looking at the test lot 00's compared to the RT1002's I have that also use the black seed denim and they're so much lighter in comparison. I'd post some comparison shots but can't post photos of the test lot 00's.

I don't know, I mean it's been like years since the cone denim has been around and I haven't seen any particularly beautiful examples. I used to want a pair of Roy's super bad but seeing these faded pairs has made me way less interested... I guess i'll just stick to the japanese stuff!

Don't understand the thumbs down. I agree about the fades. They really aren't inspiring to me at all.

for folks looking for faded examples, a lot of folks who own 'OG's' said the stuff that was 'expurgated' and later participated in the contest 5 years ago, and own subsequent releases have posted pictures on instagram - 

Also quite a few folks that own Roys post here and also over on denimbro.

There's quite a few very nice examples of faded jeans  from the likes of roy6,myself, katz, and other folks you'd recognize 

He says the Black Seed is pretty much the contest denim, that it's slightly heavier (altho the contest denim was heavier than similar).

Here are the second best contest pair.

Interesting that peeps say these aren't the best fade. I don't love every single Cone denim, but they are all different.. and I reckon the contest denim is the perhaps the best denim I[ve ever worn in. Looks great, not at certain stages, but at every stage.

Frontall.jpg

^I agree with you Sir Paul...Although I had to sell my contest pair, I still hold on to the scraps (and boxers of course), and the fabric was truly something special. Hard to describe if one hasn't seen or felt it in person, but it's somewhere along the lines of "luxurious, resilient, silky, with lustre, yet old school 20's robust". I remember the folks at Cone saying it's almost a sin to make denim out of such a rare and luxurious material, and I'd have to agree. So close to pulling the trigger on these newest Black Seed's...I'm in need of a pair when I eventually send my contest Ooe's in for a knee repair ;D Hmmm...perhaps I could send them to Roy for a fix after I get Roy's...

It's not the same, as the contest denim was a one-off production run. But the Black Seed is essentially Roy and Cone's collaborative attempt to reproduce that contest denim. A lot of elements seem to be similar, including the black seed pima cotton weft and the grey cast, but the new stuff is a tad heavier.

Here's the old Roy contest thread, which has details on the denim, and here's Roy's page about the new black seed denim.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some pics of my beat to shreds Roy RS04. Holes in both knees, thighs and seat wearing thin, several crotch repairs... I only wear these on the weekends when I'm bumming around now. Stuck my toe through one of the knee holes putting them on this weekend and made it a bit bigger. My favorite jeans ever.

30219819944_2927177b72_z.jpg

30550860200_8935c79754_z.jpg

30851868555_2c0ef8c849_z.jpg

30219821344_1fa3f4529d_z.jpg

30815227676_71f09ae084_z.jpg

30815228366_64b24dae68_z.jpg

I was trying to embed a post from Instagram but clearly I don't know how to do it.

Kiya posted that he's working on a proper collaboration with Roy and that has me excited.

Edited by Broark