Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

To be honest, this whole "no pictures thing" also annoys me... When I buy something I want to feel like I have full ownership over it. I like sharing the stuff I have with you guys, I still don't understand why Roy says no pictures. Even if it is a test cut, it's not like people can't understand that the next cut might be tweaked.

But I guess it doesn't matter since those fade pictures are actually what prevented me from buying a pair of these!

Same. Not a fan of the fades either.

He did a run of Kinda Specials this year and used up the rest of that denim I think. There is someone selling a pair of brand new size 31 RS04s tho (Denimbro/instagram), and someone else is selling a pair of soaked only size 33 RS04s(Ebay)

Edited by goodrain

Yes I have RS05 - but I no longer have the RS04 so not possible to do a side by side comparison. Would say the RS05 are an improved fit a little more generous fitting, better fit in the rise and the leg opening is wider, very straight looking leg. Not worn them enough to really comment on how the denim fades etc. it's not as hairy as the Cone denim used on the RS04.

These are the infamous "buttongate" jeans. If you can find a pair grab them.

http://www.heddels.com/2016/01/roy-rs05-straight-leg-loomstate-jeans/

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/17190-self-edge-sfnylapdx-updates-info/page-639

Edited by cool_hand

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been wearing my Test Lot 00's and they're a damned good cut for me.

Hope for some shirts sometime in the future.

Really enjoying the Test Lot's as well. Very comfortable and versatile cut for me.

I asked Roy about a shirt and he did say that he has plans for a denim shirt but couldn't say when. I would love a jacket from him if he ever decided to do one...

Edited by Smallrod

The spec's for the RS00 look very appealing to me. My RT1002 size 33 are a bit tight in the hips and thighs for my build. 

FYI for folks considering these that don't have the black seed Cone Mills denim - the RT1002 I have use use same. I had 2" shrink in the waist, 1" shrink in the rise, and 2.75" shrink in the length. The waist has not stretched back to raw measurements. 

^ I have the RT1002 and the test lot's are a bit roomier in the top block without being baggy...just a little more free feeling.

I find the black seed denim stretches just enough without over stretching...especially in the waist. You may have soaked/washed a bit hotter than I did, I got about 1.5" in the waist, 2.5" in length and .5" everywhere else.

I have both the RT1002 and the Test Lot 00's, very different jeans.

The black seed denim shrinks a lot but also stretches where need be. The waist on both pairs was a little snug but now has stretched out just right. I really love the straight leg cut of the 00's, I think it works better for my build. I tend to wear them when I'm giving my contest Ooe's a break or wash. Too many jeans, not enough legs.

Exciting to hear that Roy is thinking about another denim shirt.

^ agree -- KS1001 and KS1002 can be tight in the hips, unless your trim through that area.  Test Lot 00 and RS00 are a different animal -- lower (medium) rise, more hip and thigh room, less tapered at the bottom.  Very comfortable -- not as linear as the KS, which look great but are trim.

John

^ agree -- KS1001 and KS1002 can be tight in the hips, unless your trim through that area.  Test Lot 00 and RS00 are a different animal -- lower (medium) rise, more hip and thigh room, less tapered at the bottom.  Very comfortable -- not as linear as the KS, which look great but are trim.

John

RS00 has medium rise? Based on the measurements posted, they look like a medium-high to high rise to me, no? 

RS00 has medium rise? Based on the measurements posted, they look like a medium-high to high rise to me, no? 

Good point mpukas.  Best to characterize the RS00 and Test Lot rise as medium-high.  What I like about the rise (and fit) is the balance of front to back.  In my experience, front rise has a big impact on how a pair of jeans looks (from the front, of course) but back rise can be key to comfort.  The front rise of the new Roys is not nearly as high as the older KS but the back rise is still up there -- making for a good overall fit and feel in the top block.

I find that if there's too big of a difference between front and back rise, then the look, fit and feel are way off. i.e. the SG 5105 size 32 I had - 9" front rise (LOW) and 14" back rise (approaching medium) was a very weird fitting and uncomfortable cut.