Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

But Roy is also going to make more money himself which is well deserved and awesome for him. In addition, it allows him to control his batch size, experiment more, and continue to make next-level garments for the world. All in all, I see it as a plus, even though I'd love to stroll down to SE and try his stuff on...

But Roy is also going to make more money himself which is well deserved and awesome for him. In addition, it allows him to control his batch size, experiment more, and continue to make next-level garments for the world. All in all, I see it as a plus, even though I'd love to stroll down to SE and try his stuff on...

I'm a huge fan of Roy but the problem now as TTC points out with import duties and shipping added to the price it takes these jeans to over £300/£310 for a UK based customer wheras previously they worked out around £220 via SelfEdge even though the retail price was $50 more. For sure if you're based in the US it's a win win, but for us in the UK it now makes the price prohibitive.

Edited by cool_hand

• 1 month later...

Knees on my Special Fits are getting super sick

48rBDJf.jpg

Top/right one is darned by SE

Edited by erase

Hello

Wanted get some advice on a virtually new pair of KS 1002s I have had in storage and recently tried on

Mine are tagged 34 and measure 35 after a quick cold soak and two wears

Gained some weight in the year since I last tried them on. Anyone have any idea as to expected waist stretch and or what the pre- soak sizing on a 34 was?

They are borderline manageable in the top box but the waist is truly tight.

Thanks in advance for any opinions. Bottom line is trying to see if they are worth fighting for a stretch or cut my losses And sell while there is minimal wear.

Essentially trying to find out if I Could get them them to about 36.5

Edited by kbuzz

Haven't received them yet as they just went up for sale again today, but the Black Seed Cone denim is pretty nice.

My pair of RT1002's has the same denim and it's really nice, not "boring Cone" like you expect from a Kickstarter denim brand or something like that. It holds it's own against Japanese brands for sure.

Bought this pair because it's more of a straight leg cut and the details are sure to be a little different than my other Roy jeans.

I know the Black Seed denim was used recently on some of his jeans and I think it is meant to be similar to the OG Roy denim.

Already told him I'll for sure send him some fit pics! It'll also be nice to have the jeans hemmed by Roy himself.

From Roy's site:

"The new denim is great. Its called “black seed†denim from Cone’s White Oak Plant (plant meaning factory). Black refers to the color of the seed only in the Pima cotton, which is what the denim is made from (At least the weft is; the warp is regular length ring-spun).

Its 13.75 oz before shrinking and that means about 15oz after shrinkage.

What we were trying to do, was make something very similar to the old “contest denim†(if you know what that was), but about an ounce and a half heavier. That isn’t as easy as it sounds, luckily there are some great people at Cone who know a lot about yarn and denim construction that have taken an interest in helping me.

The I.D. line isn’t pink, its faded-red. I say that because I matched the color of a faded red t-shirt which I like. The white part of the selvage is a basket weave, which also looks cool (to me).

I would like to add my thanks to Cone Mills for all their help. The White Oak Plant plant is such a unique resource and I feel fortunate to be able to work with them"

As someone who owns the contest jeans and various (too many) Japanese denims, I would say the Cone fabric remains exceptional even in comparison. Maybe not as flashy as some Japanese fabrics, but it was truly something I was happy wearing for a whole year - couldn't say that for most other denims. It was comfortable, tactile and aged gracefully.

Edited by mikecch

Got my new Roy's in, they fit great after a machine wash.

Sadly no photos per Roy's request, but I'm really happy with them. Hemmed to the perfect length too!

I'm digging straight leg cuts lately, and this one is ideal IMO.

hmm he said no photos but can you describe the differences between this and his other jeans?

goodrain,

Roy does a good job describing key aspects of these jeans, including the Black Seed denim, heavier stitching, and measurements:

http://www.roydenim.com/test-lot-00

Compared with the Kinda Special jeans that I'm familiar with, these have a lower (i.e., medium) front rise while maintaining a relatively high back rise.  It has taken me way too much time and money to finally learn that this is the combination that looks and feels best for me.  We've all had jeans where the rises are too high or low.  I think the Test Lot 00 gets it right and $245 seems reasonable for a pair of hand made jeans of this quality.

John

I have a few pairs of Roy jeans now and these have some slightly different details than his other pairs.

The fit on these is really nice, think I'm going to wear them for the first time today.

To be honest, this whole "no pictures thing" also annoys me... When I buy something I want to feel like I have full ownership over it. I like sharing the stuff I have with you guys, I still don't understand why Roy says no pictures. Even if it is a test cut, it's not like people can't understand that the next cut might be tweaked.

But I guess it doesn't matter since those fade pictures are actually what prevented me from buying a pair of these!