Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

Incase anyone was interested in post wash measurements for the RT1002.

I put them through the wash on warm, pulled them out before the spin cycle.

Size 36, measured BiG style:

Waist: 18 in.

Front rise: 12 in.

Back rise: 16 in.

Thigh: 13.25 in.

Knee: 9 in.

Hem: 8.25 in.

Inseam: 34 in.

Got pumped on my leg twist the other day...Roy RS4 - Probably nearing 300 wears?

Zm0GsLU.jpg

Edited by erase

Speaking of leg twist, I've noticed a TON of it on the RT1002.

Not sure if it's the cut or the denim itself, but three wears in and they already twisted a good 90 degrees on the left leg.

I'll try to get some pictures once in back in town, really considering entering them into the DWC.

Would you mind comparing the fit to the KS? Thanks in advance.

Speaking of leg twist, I've noticed a TON of it on the RT1002.

Not sure if it's the cut or the denim itself, but three wears in and they already twisted a good 90 degrees on the left leg.

I'll try to get some pictures once in back in town, really considering entering them into the DWC.

On the KS1001 I felt like I was one step away from ripping the crotch at all times. Never really experience that before even on super slim jeans. It was a weird thing because the thighs weren't tight, yet if I kneeled down they really pulled at the seams of the crotch in a scary way and it felt like each step I was working my way towards one giant hole 6 months down the road.

That's the main reason I sold them.  The new RT1002 seem similar but they have a larger thigh measurement.  Has the cut been adjusted at all for this because Roy felt the same way?  Dunno. Thinking about giving a pair another go.. although the slow fading cone will probably hold me back.  I'm finishing up my 3rd pair of cone denim in a row and I'm looking for something a bit more... quick... this time around.

Edited by givemefive

^Had no problem with the crotch on my KS1001 but my friend who got them always complained about this problem you mentioned... except in his case he never wore them in the right place for a high rise pair of jeans, as a result the extra material formed a sort of "drop crotch" that I think added to the tension.

Got my RTs but waiting to hem and soak until my trade partner gets his bigbros. Its killing me!

^Had no problem with the crotch on my KS1001 but my friend who got them always complained about this problem you mentioned... except in his case he never wore them in the right place for a high rise pair of jeans, as a result the extra material formed a sort of "drop crotch" that I think added to the tension.

hmm interesting, definitely wore them on my hips tho. I'm 6 3" with a long torso so high rise jeans are great.

I would almost describe it as.. the front of the jean being too small for the back.This causes the front to pull on the back through the crotch with every step. And then the seam from the back belt loop to the bottom of the fly was just like 1/4" too short for the high rise.  Probably an actual name for that seam.

I was so disappointed because everything else was perfect, the denim was so nice and hairy,  and a different size wasn't gonna do it.

Edited by givemefive

And then the seam from the back belt loop to the bottom of the zipper was just like 1/4" too short for the high rise.  Probably an actual name for that seam.

I think if you've got a zipper, you're probably not talking about Roy's.

(that was a joke, haha?)

I'm 6'3" and I have 4 pairs of Roy's (RS4 in 31, SF01 in 32, BigBro in 31, KS1001 in 33) and I'd say yes the crotch does fade first, but I don't feel like I'm going to burst out of the crotch with each step.  I wear that shit super high as well, because I'm a nerd.

I just gave my KS1002 a second hot soak...15-20 min in the hottest tap and hung dry.

Figured I'd share the measurements from pre-soak, soak #1, and soak #2. I missed a few along the way, but oh well.

These are tagged 33.

Pre-Soak / Soak #1 / #2
Waist: 35.0 / 33.25 / 33.0
Thigh: 12.75 / 12.3125 / 12.25
Knee: 9.125 / -- / 8.75
Leg Opening: 8.5 / -- / 8.0
Front Rise: 12.5 / 12.0 / 11.875
Back Rise: -- / 15.75 / 15.625
Inseam: 37.5 / -- / 34.5

These are definitely the highest rise denim I own...looking forward to seeing how they evolve. 

Would you mind comparing the fit to the KS? Thanks in advance.

I wanted to do a proper comparison with photos and measurements of both jeans, but I'm pretty beat right now so I'll post again tomorrow with a more in depth comparison if anyone is interested.

So after wearing these for four days I would say a good comparison in my experience is that it's a slightly smaller jean just about everywhere compared to the KS. Rise is a little lower (but still high compared to some brands), knee and hem are smaller too. I would say the main noticeable difference is from the knee down. 

So far I really like the RT, as my main complaint about the KS was that after a few days of wear after a wash they would start to get big in the seat which led to a diaper butt kind of look. Not incredibly flattering, but I could deal with it by just hiking them up a bit.

In reply to the mention of the crotch on the KS I never really experienced that unless I really had them pulled up high on my waist. But I think that after the fabric settled and started to drape a little more this went away. I've washed my pair several times, they've relaxed a lot more. Not really something I ever felt like was a flaw personally, since it went away after some wear. I haven't noticed it either on the RT.

Anyone rocking the denim shirt from Roy? It's a little out of my price range for a shirt but its falls under everything I'm looking for in a shirt at the moment!

Anyone rocking the denim shirt from Roy? It's a little out of my price range for a shirt but its falls under everything I'm looking for in a shirt at the moment!

if you can find the shirt somewhere for sale, i'd say go for it. it ages nicely and gets very soft with wear. 

Yeah I wish I hadn't have slept on the Big Bro shirt, I hope he ends up doing another shirt sometime this year.

+1,000,000

@goodrain - not sure exactly - I just wear it.  If it's warm enough, I'll rock it for most occasions.  It's a perfect travel shirt - covers a good range of temperatures.

I've had it just over a year so probably...150-200 wears?  ~3-4 washes?

It could use a couple minor repairs but I don't want to go without it.

I did a yoyo trick a few weeks ago in New Orleans while rocking it.