Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

Figured this thread could use some duck love.

0KluIz2.jpgkt4SgE5.jpgLittle shuttle loom skip on the left leg:

lCqPMHR.jpg

YMfoLes.jpgEe5AyM1.jpg?1

Something about the color of this fabric does not agree with the white balance on iPhone cameras.

These are probably my favorite non-denim pants.

I'll be wearing them a lot this summer I'm sure.

Half-assedly trying to sell a pair of those ^ that I've barely worn as I have finally admitted that the waist is slightly too small for me, and I don't like feeling cut in half, even if it is for some very nice pants.

Waist size 31, washed twice before wearing to get the shrink out.

I can take measurements/photos for anybody interested.

I think Kiya and tmadd could vouch for me as being a real and not sketchy dude if you asked them.

Half-assedly trying to sell a pair of those ^ that I've barely worn as I have finally admitted that the waist is slightly too small for me, and I don't like feeling cut in half, even if it is for some very nice pants.

Waist size 31, washed twice before wearing to get the shrink out.

I can take measurements/photos for anybody interested.

I think Kiya and tmadd could vouch for me as being a real and not sketchy dude if you asked them.

Have they been hemmed?

Yeah, to about ~30" I have short legs.

EDIT: Fuck, these are going to be harder to sell than I thought. 

Edited by Dylan

This is what Selfedge has to say about it...'The denim will also stretch in the waist up to 1" after approximately 30 wears.'

I'd go along with that - my Roys do stretch but it always takes time when the fabric is new. After a few washes the stretch comes much quicker. If your jeans are just a little tight then stick with it.

About to drop off my Special Fits at SENY for a repair.  Extremely excited for the Roy release slated for this month.  I've been annoyingly consistent in my lobbying for a SF02, and Roy was gracious enough to reply to an email of mine, and in summation: this upcoming release sets out to improve upon what Roy intended to accomplish with the Special Fit, but with an all new fit with slightly more taper.  

d2d18f3c-ba01-4b6b-9665-50ceed5887dd.jpg

^Correct.  The Special Fit (SF01) had a medium rise and a very slight taper and was only run once back in early 2013.  The Kinda Specials (KS1001/2) are amazing too but the rise is too high for my liking.  I would expect the upcoming release to be a medium rise, straight-tapered based on the very little I know. 

just sharing my old pair of Roys RS1. started wearing it recently, about 3 months of effective wear. just gave it a wash recently too. wearing in rotation with my hwdc2 pair for now till dwc starts i guess. not too much to show for now..

IMG_1481_zpsygkrzwzn.jpgIMG_1484_zpsnn7dbiqm.jpgIMG_1482_zpsstocjpjj.jpgIMG_1483_zpsjhued4fg.jpg

EDIT: i've had this pair for so long that i clearly can't remember if it was the RS01 or RN01. 

EDIT: just double checked my old email. they're the RS01 :)

Edited by louisbosco

I would screen cap but don't really want to...anyways, Kiya has already expounded upon this. Similar to the Big Bro with normal jean details, so pretty much matches the mid-rise straight tapered description.

Looking good, Louis Bosco, its been said before but that Cone denim is crazy slow to fade but so worth it once the time is put in.  My Roys are really only just starting to pop after considerable wear the past two years (probably closer to a year of actual wear time).

Edit: Forgot the RS01 denim is not the exclusive cone run he used for the RS03/04/SF/KS/whatever else.  It looks very similar though so I'd assume same principle holds true.

Edited by sombrero

^^ they're cone mill denim still though? and that by my experience is a slow fader. though i must say it really takes getting used to softer denim when i'll i've been wearing so far have been 24oz or so denim.

i won't be putting in much wear into these but do so when i can. so i guess this pair is going to be a slow pair for me. even more so when the DWC starts.

^^ they're cone mill denim still though? and that by my experience is a slow fader. though i must say it really takes getting used to softer denim when i'll i've been wearing so far have been 24oz or so denim.

i won't be putting in much wear into these but do so when i can. so i guess this pair is going to be a slow pair for me. even more so when the DWC starts.

Agreed.  I enjoy my KS1001 as my hot weather occasional wear jeans.  I'm fine with them being super slow to fade.

All of Roy's denims are Cone Mills Unsanforised with the exception of the RS2 (RN2) Nihon Mempu Denim - which is really nice.

The RS/RN1 model was an Unsanforised Cone - 'Standard' Cone denim - meaning it was actually quite rare as Cone wasn't making a great deal of Unsanforised denim (if any) and even then it wasn't available off the shelf to buyers. Roy was an exception and given some special fabrics.

The other Roy Denims: RS3 theu BB1002 have all been custom cone denim exclusive to Roy and designed to his spec.

The exception to this is the ROY x CONE competition denim that was a rare Unsanforised Black-seed-pima-cotton, that came from some dusty archives somewhere and has an obscure Cone reference/model No. Roy and Cone aimed at recreating it for the BB1002 (big bro 2) recently. It's very nice, my favourite so far.

Shirts are a different story - Japaneae fabrics in there...

Thanks

fuck me.  I need roy to do a jean with no taper.... just gottta keep waiting :(

Agreed- NO TAPER...alto ugh in a recent email Roy did say he was exploring something like this. Nothing firm at all but makes me save my pennies for a 9 inch cuff

• 2 weeks later...

Not much time left in March...the new jawnz still dropping this month?

Jawnz drop a lot on March 28th.

Can you share any details about what the new jawnz will be? 

It's very close to the BB1002 fit except the pocket details are from a classic 5-pocket jean.

What are the front pocket openings like on these <modified> BB's? They look like they're high, thus making them tight and difficult to get your hands into. Please tell me I'm wrong. 

I was really intrigued with the rivets that Roy used in the Big Bro Jeans and I was hoping that in the next set of jeans, he would use the same, but it doesn't seem to be the case and I am a little disappointed.

Does he ever re-stock any of his older styles or is it once they are sold out, that is it?

Thanks 

Dude,
Generally if there is a restock it is quiet and happens before a new model comes out (For example, the Kinda Special had a ~20-30 pair restock a few weeks after release), but never have I seen him go back and make the exact same jean again.  

From my understanding, he sets his shop up for a particular project and that's that - once he moves onto the next project that article of clothing will never be made again.

Maybe he'll feel nostalgic and use those rivets again one day, but I'm pretty sure it'd be on a different pair of pants.

Not a bad way to work if you ask me - makes each piece an artifact.

Edited by erase

Dude,

Generally if there is a restock it is quiet and happens before a new model comes out (For example, the Kinda Special had a ~20-30 pair restock a few weeks after release), but never have I seen him go back and make the exact same jean again.  

From my understanding, he sets his shop up for a particular project and that's that - once he moves onto the next project that article of clothing will never be made again.

Maybe he'll feel nostalgic and use those rivets again one day, but I'm pretty sure it'd be on a different pair of pants.

Not a bad way to work if you ask me - makes each piece an artifact.

That's good to know. Thanks a lot. Maybe one day I will see those rivets again. I have never seen them before.