Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

Decided to try and take some photos of my KS1001's today.

Apologies for the crappy phone quality pictures, some of the colors are a little washed out.

It took me awhile to get used to the higher rise but I've grown to like it.

The denim is quite stubborn, doesn't age very quickly.  I've washed these a couple of times.

Going to keep wearing these, hope the hole in the top of the back pocket doesn't continue to grow.

kt7h2ZM.jpg

SZhnfOD.jpg

Az9ECCI.jpg

8EOnatQ.jpg

8yyJgNG.jpg

kqUSExb.jpg

fwLMsm6.jpg

98Gx6a4.jpg

what did you get into to have that happen broark?

That's called Baller Pocket.

Happens when you reach for your wallet every few minutes throughout the day to pay for things.

Sadly I keep my wallet in my left pocket.  :D

I honestly don't know how I managed that, I've had it happen on my Warehouse 1001's too but to a lesser extent.

Probably after a night of drinking somewhere, maybe from my phone.

Maybe it's something related to the number.  :rolleyes:

Already prepped a repair tag for whichever store you bring them to:  EB720D3B-87B6-425D-A364-E58B73B19D2F.jpg

Thanks to a friend thinning his collection I'm now in the Roy owners club. Pretty much brand new pair of RS04 and thanks to managing to lose a little weight I've also managed to come down a size. These are pretty good stuff (as you all know) and the denim is instantly recgonizable as Cone. It's been awhile since I bought any Cone, after pretty much giving up on LVC and I'm fully expecting it to be stubborn stuff. So, now I just have to have a little self control and put some good wear into them instead of changing from pair to pair throughout my hoard.

Thanks to a friend thinning his collection I'm now in the Roy owners club. Pretty much brand new pair of RS04 and thanks to managing to lose a little weight I've also managed to come down a size. These are pretty good stuff (as you all know) and the denim is instantly recgonizable as Cone. It's been awhile since I bought any Cone, after pretty much giving up on LVC and I'm fully expecting it to be stubborn stuff. So, now I just have to have a little self control and put some good wear into them instead of changing from pair to pair throughout my hoard.

devilish,

I have the RS1001 and 1002, which are also Cone.  By 'stubborn' do you mean strong and resistant to wear or fading?  Compared with other denim (e.g., Fullcount Zimbabwe, Samurai 19 oz., Iron Heart, 3Sixteen) Roy's Cone denim seems to have a harder, less hairy look and feel.  Is this what you're talking about?  Just trying to learn somethin' here ;-)

John

John

my problem as well.  With the ROY's, I found them to be absolutely boring until they started to show some wear characteristics.  If you wear them hard and wash appropriately, they will reward you.  

^Yes, stubborn as in tough to fade. Cone, most times is a slow build kinda denim. Of the Japanese brands I think Full Count comes the closest but even that yields a little quicker. At the moment I'm enjoying the contrast as I've been wearing Samurai and Warehouse a lot lately. It's also a bit nostalgic because the first real pair of raws I ever bought (like many) were some LVC 47's and those were made of a similar denim that LVC no longer uses and were a similar cut.

I don't really feel like the Cone Special Project is that stubborn to fade...moreso than Flat Head maybe, but not slower to show change than any levi's repro style denim.  Of course, that's with fairly hard wear, and decently frequent washing. 

I'd also say that the special project cone denim is amongst the hairier denims I've come into contact with.  Yes, I'm aware there is hairier stuff out there, but it's way more hairy than anything from Iron Heart or 3s, for sure.  Boring is obviously objective...but for a repro style denim I find the Cone Special Project denim to have a really to have a really deep color, a lot of subtle variation in warp yarn, and tons of dimension, not to mention the hairiness. 

The point I'm mostly trying to make though, is that it makes no more sense to compare Roy's Cone Special Project Denim to other Cone than it does to compare the denim used by Stevenson Overalls to Iron Heart or 3sixteen...all come from Kuroki, but there are some wildly different styles and wear characteristics between them.  Roy's Special Project denim is a lot different from all other Cone I've seen, including lots and lots of LVC.  Some of the other Cone roy has used (RS01, RN01, RS03, RN03, KS1001) has it's roots in LVC fabrics and is thusly very LVC like, but the special project denim is tons different.

Edited by tmadd

I sort of agree with your point tmadd but this Cone is very similar to the 47's I mentioned. However that denim was as far as I can tell only used for 1 years production and is not in any way like anything from LVC in the past 5 years. It might not have been as hairy but the overall texture, color and weave were a lot alike. One Cone that was as hairy as this was the loomstate version used on the Money Bags Specials made for Denimbro by Rising Sun. I still haven't washed my pair of those or worn them a tremendous amount and it is definitely as hairy as this from Roy.

Anyway, I bet it will be slower to fade than Samurai or Warehouse are, which is what I was using for comparison. All Cone is slower than them but this is not a critisism at all, just an observation.

Edited by devilish

• 2 weeks later...