Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

No, I didn't measure before I soaked it.  I haven't measured since, but it pretty much fits like I expected after I measured my other shirts and compared those to the info on the SE site.  When I tried it on before I soaked, I was worried that it might be too small afterwards but it's fine.  I probably could pull off a L, and I think it would look just fine, but it would proabably be just a bit too snug in the shoulders from a comfort standpoint.  Plus I have long arms and XL the sleeves are just about the perfect length when buttoned.  I was worried the L sleeves would end up a bit too short.

If you look at Roy modeling the shirt on the SE site, those sleeves look too short to me.  If I wore a shirt with sleeves that short, it would drive me nuts! 

Edited by leftyaxeslinger

There's a reason why the sleeves look short on Roy in that shot and it was explained on the denimbro site by Mr Randal. I believe it's because Roy is really tall. The measurements on SE site were pretty accurate. If you get a chance woud be very interested in some measurements as it stands now?

post soak:

Chest - a little under 46

Vertical length - 28.75

Sleve length - 25.5

Shoulder width - 17.5

So just about what I expected.  My experience with all this high end denim is that I usually don't get all the shrinkage out with the first soak/wash, but it probably won't be a whole lot more.

Here's a rough fit pic:

FCB56CB6-2EAB-4EA1-BFA8-54519CFC42A1.jpg

Edited by leftyaxeslinger

Not the easisest of fit pictures to pass an "expert" eye over Lefty :)

It does appear to have shrunk as the description on SE - an inch in the chest, but appears to be a bit more severe in the length and shoulders. Sleeve length looks pretty good.

so its a lousy self timer shot that i had to rush because my wife was making fun of me and wouldn't take the picture for me haha... they just don't understand.  she gets all my other "hobbies" just not this one.  which is strange because i think she has about 45 pairs of denim and 100 pairs of shoes, yet IM the crazy one?

haha, the sure path to marital bliss is to count how many shoes and jeans your wife has and throw it in her face at an unsuspecting time...

haha, the sure path to marital bliss is to count how many shoes and jeans your wife has and throw it in her face at an unsuspecting time...

I can't be the only person here with more shoes and more jeans than my wife. She can't walk into our closet without making some comment. :blush:

Would anyone with a Big Bro shirt in size Large care to post up some post-soak measurements?

chest (armpit to armpit): 22

hem width: 22.5 (I assume you mean from selvege to selvege across the bottom?)

sleeve (shoulder to cuff) : 25.75

shoulders (seam to seam) : 17.25

depth : 29 (shoulder seam at collar straight down to hem)

I soaked it for ~10 mins, luke warm, agitated...worn 4-5 times....

thanks, everything sounds good, although the chest and shoulders sound a litle bit snug for a Large.

is Large your regular size, how do you find the fit?

I have the WS-1 in a medium and, while I do wear it all the time, it is definitely very small on me.

I think the Large Big Bro shirt is a much better fit for me, more room to move, I can button the collar without feeling the slow strangle.  Probably should have a large in Roy stuff...bought the WS-1 second hand though so no choice on size (:

I am 6'3" 180-190 lbsish.  I am long limbed so the shirt fits me kind of like they fit Roy in the SE pics, sleeves just above the wrist.

Also wear a L buzz rickson sweatshirt (great fit), 42 in flathead western (snug like the roy WS1), L in mister freedom NOS Chambray (Plenty of room)...hope that helps!  If I can remember to take fit pics I'll post them...

I have the WS-1 in a Large and the fit is perfect (chest just under 47", shoulders: 18.5, sleeves 26, depth 29), def couldn't get into a Medium but I'm at least 20 lbs heavier than you. the WS-1 is a much lighter fabric which I guess will make a difference.

Be great to see some fit pics.

cc1edd2c915d11e3a464124590f46b17_8.jpg

So, it was super duper rad to meet Roy and Molly at Inspiration.  Got the chance to talk with them.  Just the best people, honestly.

b2ca713c91f411e3995d12d7c20beeba_8.jpg

Dkatz did me a solid and dropped my pair of OG Roys off at SESF for repairs.  Really pleased with how they turned out, the turn-time and price are amazing!

18794be891f511e3ae9712e18885e39c_8.jpg
detail of knee repair
417c662891f611e3912d1201e4fb6265_8.jpg
They also repair both pockets
7300724891f611e3bf37125f2a6ccde2_8.jpg

the top button had fallen out, so they put new 'denim' there and a new top button.

8a23a98691f611e3b84112f7384cf9fb_8.jpg

they reinforced the crotch, and then no photos but they fixed up the hem from where grass and crap had made a hole.

Seriously the best $ i've spent in a long time, it's like I've got a brand new pair of jeans.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Are the differences in the measurements between the rs01-04 jeans minimal? I Would like to know if the rs04 measurements are a good estimate for the older models of his jeans since SE has the rs04 measurements. Or are the rs03/04 the only jeans that are similar due to the denim?

Edited by noobedloser

Anyone know what's next for Roy?

Last I read it was another shirt release since his shop is already set up for it.

Really want to get some of his denim at some point down the road.

Anyone know what's next for Roy?

Last I read it was another shirt release since his shop is already set up for it.

Really want to get some of his denim at some point down the road.

His next release is a pair of jeans out of a 13.75oz Cone loomstate fabric in a straight leg fit. Coming May 3rd!

Welp, you've got my attention.

Much or any taper to it or a traditional straight leg?

Won't know that till the final run shows up in four weeks.  There is a taper, just don't know how strong it is.

A new jean, how exciting! I just got my Big Bro's back from SENY, fixed and wearable once again.

At this point, I've hot soaked them twice, washed them once by hand and twice in the machine. They've shrunk a lot in the thigh which has changed the silhouette of the jean and they look like a boot cut when they're not cuffed. There has been a lot of shrinkage in the length too. I'm about 6'2 and I never got the pants hemmed. Initially, I wore a double cuff which rested right on the top of my shoe with very little stacking. However, as I've washed them, I reduced the cuff to a single cuff that's a little less than an 1.5 inches to achieve the same amount of stacking that I had with the double. I can wear them without a cuff as well and the stacking is pretty minimal too. This was definitely not the case when I started wearing them.

The pants always fit a little bit tight in the thigh after I wash them and usually loosen back up again after 2-3 weeks of daily wear. It does feel like there is a lot of stretch in the denim so they're still pretty comfortable. That said, if my ass, quads and hammies get any bigger these may become museum pieces. 

The uniqueness of the denim is starting to reveal itself too. Lots of vertical fading and other interesting things are happening in the top block, train tracks are starting to become visible and the arcuate on my wallet pocket is starting to break down in a cool way.

I'll post some pics in a few...

Tightness is definitely a factor. Unfortunately, I'm kind of burning the candle at both ends in the way of tightness. I keep washing more shrinkage out of the jeans and at the same time I'm growing my ass and legs at a seemingly unprecedented rate a la squats and deadlifts.

I did not account for changes in my body's composition when I got them. With foresight, I am not blessed.