Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

@puzzlepiece I have one - I think it is blank but I'll upload it.

@roy being amazing.  I have a buddy who makes tote bags and other awesome stuff with sewing machines...he explained Roy very well:  He is a pervert.

His stuff is on point in an indulgent but functional, lovely way.  There is a sense of completeness to his work like every details was considered.  And not just as an independent detail, but a piece of the whole which always has it's own feeling and intention.

Plus you know no part of the construction decisions were made to be efficient, get them out the door, or make money.  He is just a crazy dude making crazy stuff that a few crazy people enjoy.  No going back now, I'm an enthusiast.

quick question, and a tough one since i have no fit pics to post yet...

i was lucky enough to get a roy shirt, ordered a large, as my chest is always between a 44-45.  i just got back from berlin and saw the shirt for the first time tonight.  it fits more like a dress shirt than i was expecting.  (and  aside from that the shirt itself is beautiful, absolutely perfect construction, the buttons are perfect for the style, the triple stitches are amazing etc)  it feels like it fits more like a shirt that id wear under a suit, which i like actually.  but i am not sure if it is supposed to fit this way.  should it be a looser fit shirt?

of course the XL's are now sold out too, so i probably couldn't get an exchange.  lost a week because i was away, plenty of XL's available before i left!

I don't know what all this overshirt talk is about... in my opinion it looks to be a pretty normal shirt, albeit very well made with interesting details.  I don't think it lends itself to being an overshirt more than say his chambray.  I'd keep the size you have if it isn't too tight and enjoy it.

I don't know what all this overshirt talk is about... in my opinion it looks to be a pretty normal shirt, albeit very well made with interesting details.  I don't think it lends itself to being an overshirt more than say his chambray.  I'd keep the size you have if it isn't too tight and enjoy it.

and thats what i am going to do... i just did my first soak, can't believe how much indigo came out...

IMG_5024.jpg

IMG_5025.jpg

Damn, all the XLs are gone.

Missed out again.

But at least you might be able to nab one on the secondary market (if such a thing exists for Roywear). I missed out as I always do on his shirts because the XL is too small!

Also, just a quick story about Roy. A few months ago, I was at my favorite Oaktown coffee shop picking up beans. I had parked right in front of the store, and when I looked across the street, there was Roy, sitting in the cab of his sweet old blue pickup! There was a very attractive woman standing (in the street!) talking with him (Sarah, I think), but I just reflexively barked out, "Roy?!" He turned with a surprised but friendly look and said, "Yeah! What's your name?" I introduced myself and he introduced his friend, then I mentioned that I was looking forward to seeing his new jeans that Saturday (Big Bro'). He said, "Oh, wait, I'll show them to you," and hopped out of his truck to show me the jeans he was wearing. We talked about the fabric, the cinch-back, the threads he used in the manufacture, and, finally, why it's hard to make a shirt bigger than the XL he does make. The most notable thing about this exchange, to me, was how down-to-earth he was, how little ego he brought to it. When I told him I had a bunch of his pants, he just looked genuinely surprised and happy, and was curious about how I liked wearing them. No sniff of self-importance, no standoffish attitude. Just a guy. In his truck. Talking to a beautiful woman. Then talking jeans with me. Totally human and likable.

And I love me some Big Bro's.

quick question, and a tough one since i have no fit pics to post yet...

i was lucky enough to get a roy shirt, ordered a large, as my chest is always between a 44-45.  i just got back from berlin and saw the shirt for the first time tonight.  it fits more like a dress shirt than i was expecting.  (and  aside from that the shirt itself is beautiful, absolutely perfect construction, the buttons are perfect for the style, the triple stitches are amazing etc)  it feels like it fits more like a shirt that id wear under a suit, which i like actually.  but i am not sure if it is supposed to fit this way.  should it be a looser fit shirt?

of course the XL's are now sold out too, so i probably couldn't get an exchange.  lost a week because i was away, plenty of XL's available before i left!

Hi Aproy, I have an XL in the Roy Shirt (recieved today) and I would like a Large. Please PM if you would like to try and work something out.

My tuppence worth- I ordered a medium, after a soak it fits like a glove, whether I have a t underneath or not. It's a piece of art. Don't get hung up on 'over shirt' description- just order your normal size and enjoy.

How much did it shrink after the soak?

If anyone has a Large in the Big Bro Shirt that they either want to trade for an XL or sell please PM me.

I have since cold soaked it to relieve it of some indigo. Wore it to work today. I like the fit now. It just took a little getting used to. I think an XL with a warm soak would have been perfect.

Wore my shirt yesterday, Roy tuxedo.  Blue everywhere - maybe I should've soaked longer?

Here is piece 43 - up is up.  Nothing to lose?  Looks blank...
RoyPuzzle48.jpg

so its a lousy self timer shot that i had to rush because my wife was making fun of me and wouldn't take the picture for me haha... they just don't understand.  she gets all my other "hobbies" just not this one.  which is strange because i think she has about 45 pairs of denim and 100 pairs of shoes, yet IM the crazy one?

DSC01338.jpg

Its a large shirt, with Pure Blue Japan that are on their 3rd week maybe... brand new still.  i did one cold soak, and today will be my 3rd wear of it.  i was a little unsure of the size at first but it has grown on me.  i think we are one now. 

Looking at these pics is a trip.  I decided on an XL after doing all the measuring and figuring for shrinkage.  I'm 5'11", 175 with an athletic build and the XL fits perfect for the way I like shirts to fit.  Sometimes I see some fit pics on these threads where the shirts fit way too snug for my liking - even on some of the models!  I guess that's the style, but I like to be comfortable and like a little more room. 

The wierd thing is that I did a warm soak/cold rinse as per the directions from Roy and I feel like I didn't get nearly as much shrinkage as some of these other pictures are showing.  I'll try to get some fit pics up later.  For now, I have these - just iPhone 5s quality:

614AC3C6-CF41-4155-A963-50EB6F9F6011.jpg

Wrinkles are settling down a little bit with each wear...

673074D6-A4D4-426C-A340-AB36AB1683CD.jpg

Got some crazy streaking going on...

79E4C453-0079-428C-8718-084D1E1319C7.jpg

D1507C86-CC85-45D9-A993-1D4233227216.jpg

Edited by leftyaxeslinger

nice pictures leftyaxelinger.

I'm surprised that you went for an XL based on your weight/height. I am 100 kilos (220 lbs) and 5 10", 43" chest (I am overweight though by at least a stone+) and I found the XL a little bit to roomy. I put it up against my other Roy Large shirts and it was visually a size larger. Maybe if I had hot washed and tumbled dried it would of worked out?

After I measured several size L shirts I own,  and figured the post-hot soak shrinkage based on the numbers on the SE site, the XL made the most sense.  The great thing is I can wear this as an overshirt or wear it tucked in if I want. 

Perhaps when I post fit pics the consensus from the "experts" ;) here will be that its too large, but I couldn't be happier with the fit.