Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

I have SF01 in 34 which didn't shrink enough and bunch up funny in the waist when I use a belt to bring em in

I know I would love to take the SF01 in 34 off of you (and I'm sure plenty of others would like to as well) if you ever decide to sell  ^_^

Thanks to everyone for the helpful input. Based on info both in this thread and in emails, I have decided to swap out 33 for a 34, and received the go ahead from Kiya to do so. 

@elmcitizen: Yes, I have already received private messages to that effect. They do still fit, and they have only been soaked~no machine wash yet, so they may have more shrink hidden in them. Long story short, I am going to hang on to them. Sorry. I did not mean to give the impression they are unwearable.... It's not a deal breaking fit really, but it could be better and that fact played into my decision to go 33 on the Big Bro model.

I hand wash the first few times, otherwise I get weird creases... Is there a better machine-oriented solution?

If you are talking about unwanted white streaks/marbling, you shouldn't have any problems if you turn them inside out.  Set your washer to a delicate setting if you have one.  There are those that take their jeans out before the spin cycle starts, but even with the spin cycle I haven't had any problems.  

Ultimately I think it's the dryer that is to blame.  A pair of my first raws was mistakenly thrown in the wash, right-side out, and I ended up with terrible white streaks and marbling as they dried a crumpled mess.  Putting them in the dryer on a gentle setting shouldn't hurt them. Of course, you could always hang-dry them after you take them out of the machine.  Hope this helps.  . 

If you are talking about unwanted white streaks/marbling, you shouldn't have any problems if you turn them inside out. Set your washer to a delicate setting if you have one. There are those that take their jeans out before the spin cycle starts, but even with the spin cycle I haven't had any problems.

Thx but they are real creases to the fabric and stay visible through multiple washes. I hardly tumble dry anything anymore

Appreciate the input but machine wash delicate isn't much of an advantage; with handwashing I can at least limit soak duration

i get those creases too.  I found that the more shit I wash with my jeans, the better.  Also, I never fold them and lay them along the outer portion.  I just wad them up and stick them in the middle of everything else.  My ROY's were extra sensitive to this streak/crease thing, but it went away eventually.  I can still see the crease fade on the inside though

^there are three guys here in the twin cities that have worn their big bros into the shop. i had the pleasure of hemming one of them. beautiful jeans. great cut. unbelievable construction and fabric as always with roy. a rare slim fit with 40s features. i was very tempted to try on the 31s that i hemmed.

i think this guy has five pairs that i've hemmed for him. here's the three i hemmed most recently.

null_zpsea272c7b.jpg

I have two pairs of Roy's.  SFs and CBs.  The SFs (size 32) were huge in the waist pre-soak and came down nicely in 15 minutes of hot soak.

The CBs (size 32) were snug in the waist/thighs pre-soak.  I could have just started wearing them.  Based on how the SFs behaved, I was really worried about soaking the CBs and almost ordered some 33s.  Soaked the CBs for 15 minutes in room temp.  They moved a ton in the length...see below but not too much in waist/seat. Snug but right where I want them. 

CB pre-soak

null_zps2af9949a.jpg

CB post-soak 15 min room temp water

null_zps359603e2.jpg

null_zps95e9767e.jpg

Have you soaked them yet? Did you get a lot of shrink in the top block?

I have a pretty heartbreaking history with Roy.

I have RN04 in 33 which after a first wash became too tight in the top block to wear.

and

I have SF01 in 34 which didn't shrink enough and bunch up funny in the waist when I use a belt to bring em in

and

a Small Portland shirt which has all the measurements that work for me in other shirts (pit to pit, etc) but is somehow too small to wear. (Still interested to trade this for a MEDIUM if anyone is keen!)

...so I went 33 on the Big Bro based on Kiya saying that they would have less shrink than the heavier denim on the SF01 - but if these things lose more than the quarter-inch in the knee/thigh that SE advertises I am going to be in trouble... and since the tags are still attached and they are unworn (minus about 2 minutes in front of my mirror) it's not too late for me to size up... But I need some feedback on the shrinking from other people before SE sells through the rest of the 34s or I am stuck with em.

I was worried, as well, before I soaked my Big Bros.  See my post.  They did shrink a ton in length but not too much in waist and thighs.  I soaked in room temp for 10 minutes.   As others have said...If they ever see hot water, they will surely change but I'm in control of that!  =)

I'm loving the denim on the CB-1, i wish more companies would work with lightweight loomstate denim.  It really gives you a chance to see a different shade and feel of fabric.

SF01 - 8 months - a couple washes - that pocket fade

3a1V9qh.png

I have not worn these much recently, but I have given them a wash since my last update

Roy RS04 since July 2012, with flash but color and contrast is accurate.  Even relatively loose fits tend to fit me pretty tight in the top block, which I think contributes to the surprising contrast here.

10761305276_036e392689_z.jpg

10761317804_3c29412588_z.jpg

@nutusufu

I definitely have damaged the patch - I haven't been too careful with these beauties...

bQkj2Ug.jpg?1

While I am at it...buttons so good...

L8mdI5S.jpg?1

That nasty scar through the thight was my mistake during soaking!  What a noob I am...oh well.

AkcJTcC.jpg?1

Thanks Roy

I've been wearing my Big Bro's since the end of October when they were released. They're rad, but, my legs seem to be busting out of these bad boys. If I had huge legs maybe I'd understand why the outseem looks like it's about rip, but I don't. Has anyone else found this to be the case with their pair? The stitch seems to be loose throughout the leg and not just in high tension areas like the knee and quad. I can easily expose the stitching by the leg opening by gently pulling the top and bottom pieces of fabric away from each other. Should I be concerned or is this normal?

The outside seam is chain stitched it seems to have some flexibility.

My pair is nearly new.  

I can pull it open with a little force but it doesn't affect the strength of the seam. 

That's good to hear. I try to look at the clothing I buy as an investment and I'd be upset if, three months from now, this pair needed to be repaired for a major malfunction. I'll be wearing my CB's everyday for a while so I'll be sure to post about their evo. Does anyone know about other lightweight pairs look after significant wear?

d160199052ec11e3bf370ed21f8372d3_8.jpg

Jan 5th according to the comments on the gram.  Also:

"Roy's upcoming 8oz natural indigo denim shirt with selvedge chambray accents, untreated aluminum buttons, and a patch screened with ink made from cooked down eucalyptus."

Edited by erase