Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

The first few times (including the initial "soak") I did a full hot wash (no spin cycle). I think that pretty much got all of the shrink out of them, and they shrunk about to tag size. Since then I've been putting them in the dryer as well.

Alrighty, mine should be coming in today.  What do you guys recommend for a soak? Just put them in a bathtub full of hot water and agitate for like a half hour?

I followed Roy's instructions on the Duck-1 page of Self Edge's site, to keep the leather patch healthy. So I soaked my SF01s in really hot water for no longer than 10 minutes and I agitated a lot. Hang dry.

From there, you can decide what you need to do based on how they fit. I.e. another hot soak with agitation (or machine wash) or just cold water if they fit good, etc.

Thanks for all the comments guys! I'm super stoked about these. I feel like this may be the ultimate "modern" cut. They have a slim silhouette but are very comfortable, and it feels really special to own something made by one guy who obviously is passionate about this stuff. All in all such a stellar pair...

Yep I am.  And damn! These things are insanely stiff.  They feel soooooo good on my legs... buck-tite is perfect.  And I know it sounds crazy but I feel like these have more "soul" than flat heads, iron heart etc.  I gotta post some pics of my favorite stuff in a minute

For sure.  Time for some pics because this thread deserves it and I couldn't be more stoked on these.  Some of my favorite stuff-

Shell stitching on the inside, even cooler as it's essentially indigo dyed from the soak.

IMG_2095.jpg

Sweet Roy embroidery that has a nice texture if you run your hands over it...

IMG_2096.jpg

Probably the sweetest patch I've ever seen.  There's a small hole in mine for some reason but I'll just embrace it.  Also it feels really thick and surprisingly sturdy, definitely not what I was expecting.

IMG_2101.jpg

Other than the fact that these belt loops are made on a super old machine now, they're definitely longer than the ones on the RN04s, and as a result they hold a nice wide belt much better.

IMG_2102.jpg

And lastly for now the zinc plated buttons... most of the time you never focus on buttons but I think the shininess looks really sweet when the light hits it and offers a cool contrast to the super dark denim...

IMG_2103.jpg

Also, I put these on when they were still wet-ish mainly because I was impatient.  There's some knee-baggage, should I soak it again from the knees down to alleviate it or does it just come with the territory? I don't mind it but I definitely don't want anything to shift drastically after the first wash.

IMG_2094.jpg

Ah, the sweet look of fresh roy/cone denim. Your post brings back fond memories of when my pair was new and I was discovering all of the cool little details.

As far as the knees go If you soaked every time you had knee bags you'd be soaking every day for a few months. If you hadn't said anything I wouldn't even have noticed. I say just let it settle on its own

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad I don't have to soak them again as I really don't want to take these off haha.  I really lucked out with these jeans... and I like the cuff too but I should've hemmed them more by self edge, that's a triple cuff right there.  Oh well, I'll be living in LA in a few months and I'll re-hem them if I'm inclined to

• 3 weeks later...

My girlfriend (as with many I'm sure) thinks my obsession with denim is crazy, and she doesn't understand how I could find such a stiff, rough garment comfortable.  She felt my roys the other day while I was wearing them and thought I had gotten a new pair of non-raw denim because they were so soft!

w.r.t. fades, mine showed signs of fading for many months before the fades were obvious.  Patience will be rewarded!

I'm in the opposite boat, unfortunately.  Some nagging injuries have miraculously gone away and I've been running a lot more as a result.  I've also stopped drinking so much goddamn beer (not sure if this will stick), and now my RS04s are about an inch and a half too big in the waist.  I'm still wearing them though.

The good news is I just may be able to fit into a size 31 Fullcount 0105, which pretty much have my ideal measurements everywhere but the waist  :D