Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

I'd also give them a second soak and hand-agitate a bit if you want to get all the shrinkage out - mine shrank up a fair bit in the second (hot) soak.

I gave them another soak this morning after they were dry based on some recommendations a few pages back. Thanks for looking out for my Roys!

wow, those new ducks are sex!

haven't been on here in ages, but I just snapped a pic of these and thought I would share: RN1s about two years old. Cat is 8 years old and looks especially chubby from this angle.

roys%2520Jan%252013%25201.jpg

Heavyweight denim is overrated. I'd give the Roy's more attention. The notion that heavyweight denim is more durable than average weight denim is a fallacy. Just look at the results of the heavyweight contest and the Eternal contest, both produced jeans that were shredded to shit after two years.

Roy has been producing jeans for over two years now, and the only well worn pairs I have seen have been robbie's OG(?) pair and those from the RxC contest. It's a shame that we haven't seen more honestly worn-in pairs, given that his jeans sell out within weeks (or days?) of being released.

I believe my Roy's are every bit as tough as the 21oz IHs I currently own, and the detail that Roy puts into his garments are over the top, in a very good way. If I could wear jeans to work, I'm sure I'd destroy both pairs in equal time. I do like the heavyweight denim, solely for the substantial feel of the fabric. I'm going to be participating in the upcoming HWDC, thus the 25oz busters. I'm basically going to wear the jeans as normal, not undertaking any crazy destructive activities in pursuit of fades, I want my jeans to just show what they've been through over two years. I'll still be wearing my RS03s plenty,(I'm sure they'll last me years) and probably pick up whatever Roy's next release is.(it's not like denim is perishable) I would've bought the recent ducks, but after buying gifts over the holidays, I needed to replenish the fun-fund.

I received my Roy Duck-1's in the mail from SELA today. The fantastic detailing on these has been well documented, so I'll spare the photographs. Coming from denim, the duck canvas feels very light, which is a welcome change from wearing some of the heavier denim.

I'm not too thrilled about the the hemming job on these, however. The hem is fairly broad (over 1cm wide), rather than the narrower hem of the original hem done by Roy, and typically seen on well-constructed jeans.

r0012457.jpg

A big selling point of these was the combination of Roy's construction and the unsanforized fabric, which should produce lots of puckering and roping along the seams.. I'm afraid such a broad hem will not produce tight roping and seriously considering getting these rehemmed...

i might be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the duck wont rope because of the weave. I dont know the reasons but thats what I was told. could be bullshit. But I understand your dilema.

edit** might have been referring to sanfordized duck though.

Edited by garden gnomes in space

I received my Roy Duck-1's in the mail from SELA today. The fantastic detailing on these has been well documented, so I'll spare the photographs. Coming from denim, the duck canvas feels very light, which is a welcome change from wearing some of the heavier denim.

I'm not too thrilled about the the hemming job on these, however. The hem is fairly broad (over 1cm wide), rather than the narrower hem of the original hem done by Roy, and typically seen on well-constructed jeans.

r0012457.jpg

A big selling point of these was the combination of Roy's construction and the unsanforized fabric, which should produce lots of puckering and roping along the seams.. I'm afraid such a broad hem will not produce tight roping and seriously considering getting these rehemmed...

My RS04s have a broad hem like yours, not quite 1cm wide but noticeably wider than the original, and the roping seems to be coming along nicely. If there was a problem, I'd bet it would be the difference between duck vs denim, rather than the width of the hem

Whenever I have my jeans hemmed with a Union Special by a retailer, it is usually larger than the original manufacturer's hem, regardless of brand. Perhaps they're just not as adept/skilled with the machine.

Every Self Edge store has a slightly different folding attachment on the 43200g machine we use.

The one at SESF was actually set up by Roy, so at SESF the hem looks identical to his jeans.

But since it was set up by Roy last year we've actually had people come back and say "the hem distance between the stitch and the end of the jean is too short, can you make it wider?"

You can't win.

Every Self Edge store has a slightly different folding attachment on the 43200g machine we use.

The one at SESF was actually set up by Roy, so at SESF the hem looks identical to his jeans.

But since it was set up by Roy last year we've actually had people come back and say "the hem distance between the stitch and the end of the jean is too short, can you make it wider?"

You can't win.

Is this an easy thing to change Kiya, i.e. could you switch between 2 settings fairly simply or is it complex and time-consuming or even fixed once it's done?

Is this an easy thing to change Kiya, i.e. could you switch between 2 settings fairly simply or is it complex and time-consuming or even fixed once it's done?

No, it is definitely not a simple thing and not something you want to mess with between jeans.

You can't win.

kiya, thanks for the explanation.

I remember seeing this excellent article a while back detailing chainstitching at SELA with Johan. The fold produced by this attachment appears to be consistent with the hem I received on my Roy's, although slightly narrower. Pity that this machine doesn't produce the narrower fold. I guess parts for 43200g are hard to come by. I will keep this in mind in the future and get my jeans hemmed at SESF; how about SENY, which attachment do they have?

It's true that I am obsessed about the hem on my jeans, but to me it's an important detail. I have no doubt that Roy obsesses over such a detail when crafting his jeans. My thought is that any "aftermarket" hem (in the context of a dedicated denim retailer) should attempt to replicate the original hem. Take5 HK, Blue in Green, and Right Hand Distribution have hemmed jeans for me, and I can say they all produce narrow and close to original hems.

I was under the impression that even though the canvas weave does not distort as much as denim, it's the difference in shrinkage between the thread at the hem and the fabric that causes roping. However, there doesn't appear to be much roping on leftyaxeslinger's pair.

Took a look at my RS04s, 7 weeks, one wash, barely any noticeable fading. Probably going to take another 2-3 months for good fades (but I need good sunlight to take good pictures, and it's going to take 2-3 months for good sunlight to show up in Seattle). The patch does have some good evo though

i might be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the duck wont rope because of the weave. I dont know the reasons but thats what I was told. could be bullshit. But I understand your dilema.

edit** might have been referring to sanfordized duck though.

Oh man, duck ropes great (at least my roys)

And peterparker, in the future don't get them hemmed at SE (love ya kiya)