Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

how much shrinkage expected in the thigh, knee, hem?

.4" to .6" depending on the water temperature.

would of much preferred a straight fit, I guess narrow fit is more popular!

It's actually a completely new fit, its not his straight or narrow fit, its more in between the two.

Kiya: the pair shown modeled, have they been rinsed?

Nope, those are worn raw.

annoying question then - if i take a 32 in the rs04's would i take a 33 in the ducks to get the same fit?

I would stick with a 32 and tweak the fit by the temperature and length of soak.

you don't think Levis is going to complain about the patch like the 3sixteen cab?

You just can't have two things pulling on a pair of Jeans they didn't say you couldn't have two pairs of jeans pulling on another random object.. thats what I recall anyways

if one doesn't actively defend a copyright, then one is increasingly likely to lose the copyright in court. folks at levi's may be the biggest fans of the repros and "homage," but if they don't actively chase down infringements, they can kiss their copyright goodbye.

Copyright and trademark law in the US essentially dictates Levi's actions. Copyrights have to be protected, or they can be diluted or outright lost. Levi's likely has a team of lawyers who are all recommending that they protect their marks fervently (if I were their attorney, I'd recommend the same thing).

The alternative is that if they don't go after the niche brands we all like who use their trademarks, they would then have other brands that are absolute shit with some argument that they could use the marks as well. You would not only have niche brands that SUFU members would approve of using all of their marks (the tabs, the arcs, and the patch), but other brands that only hurt the strength of the marks as signifying anything (for instance, if every shit brand could use the same marks Levi's does they would essentially have no meaning anymore). True Religion and others using all the same marks would make none of us want them anyway, and they would lose meaning so that no brands would bother using them.

In essence, by protecting their marks they are also cementing them in our minds as signifiers of quality, which is exactly what a mark should do. Granted, all of this is me attempting to recall a copyright/trademark class I had in law school well over a year ago, so my law may not be 100% accurate, but it gives you an idea of why they are doing what they do.

Edit: DKatz put it more succinctly and beat me to the punch.

Edited by rayw44