Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

• 2 weeks later...

I need to see a pic of the entire shirt before I get hyped. I have seen a shirt Roy made for himself and the chest pockets seemed really low. Regardless, its going to be well made.

All those shirts Roy wears himself he makes only for himself, the fit, pocket placement, details are just what he wants to make for himself. They don't carry over to what he makes to sell.

All those shirts Roy wears himself he makes only for himself, the fit, pocket placement, details are just what he wants to make for himself. They don't carry over to what he makes to sell.

Dude appears to have a crazy collection of Big Mac and other vintage flannels also, I'd crap my pants if he ever decided to experiment with 100% cotton flannels.

Dude appears to have a crazy collection of Big Mac and other vintage flannels also, I'd crap my pants if he ever decided to experiment with 100% cotton flannels.

I highly suggest getting a case of new briefs now.

not too sure which pair is now being referred to as the og roy but to me, the og roy was when it sold at $150 way back when he started making his first few pairs. the og pair and the rxc are very different with regards to details and materials used and is as different as comparing an apple to a jackfruit. i believe quite a number of us who were in the rxc contest did have a pair of the ogs as well.

my favourite difference between the two definitely is the denim. while i can honestly say i like the denim on both pairs, the black seed denim on the rxc is really nice. it faded really well with slightly more contrast compared to the regular cone but wasn't over exaggerated and too highly contrasted. the denim is really comfortable and feels great against the skin it almost feels like you were wearing a more substantial t shirt around your waist. the hammered rivets and the hardware used on the rxc are also really beautiful as you can really scrutinise the attention to detail he paid to them. some of the other great great details was also the placement of the pockets which were very easy to access and for me i really just felt like having my hands in my pocket most of the time because they were so nicely accessible. the use of the duck fabric and the very nice hidden pocket which showed with the wear of the jean also was some of the very nice details. when i think back of the best jean that was made, personally it really has to be the rxc. top notch materials, detailing and construction. even the little nuances in my pair or for others, gave the jean quite a bit of a character. i have been trying to find a pair close to it but nothing else comes close.

having said all that, the og roy is a solid pair that i cant recommend more. had i went a size up and given a bit more rise, it would definitely have been a keeper. i dont have them anymore simply because they didn't fit but from memory and personally they were the best made. they are definitely a lot less "flashy" compared to the rxc. however they are to me the best absolute representation of a basic 5 pocket jean constructed. great materials and fantastic workmanship.

Edited by ranonranonarat

No doubts about its worth (as the market dictates), it's whether or not I have $310 lying around for a handmade chambray shirt. Wish I did. As much as I love Roy, I'd be fine with a Buzz Ricksons chambray for half the price, and probably at this stage in my semi professional career, should spend that kinda dough on a bespoke shirt at that price point.

Noodle, I'm not sure if by roy x cone you mean the newer, Self Edge sold jeans? I ordered my OGs directly from Roy after reading Henry Wong's blog. The jeans blew my mind then-- as ran stated, they're a straight up, no nonsense, well made pair. I've also got the rn03s and 04s. It's like comparing any artist's "young" and "old" phase. There's a rawness (only in hindsight) to the OGs that the polished, detail-oriented current models lack. This largely has to do with Roy getting better at making jeans, and acquiring cooler machines to incorporate into the workflow since starting out. As for the denim, the Self Edge blog posts on the newer fabrics are pretty informative. The OG denim afaik was deadstock STF Cone red selvedge denim, but I'm not sure if it had any association with any particular LVC models, if any.

Thanks groove and ran. I also picked up the OG's after reading about them on Mr. Wongs blog. I'm sure I annoyed the hell out of Roy with questions about shrinkage etc as I had not owned a pair of Cone Stf selvage before. They are still my favorite fitting jeans to date; the pair I compare every other fit to. With Roys help in sizing etc i believe they are the perfect fit for my body type.

i am thinking of picking up the Cone Project rs04. Simply because the denim is so unique in development. Details aside (definately not ignored or not appreciated) I am more interested in the denim.

(Ran or Groove...or anyone else for that matter) do you have a pair of the first Californian from Mister Freedom? The denim on them is similar to the OG Roy's in its feel. I have always been curious whether it is the

Thanks groove and ran. I also picked up the OG's after reading about them on Mr. Wongs blog. I'm sure I annoyed the hell out of Roy with questions about shrinkage etc as I had not owned a pair of Cone Stf selvage before. They are still my favorite fitting jeans to date; the pair I compare every other fit to. With Roys help in sizing etc i believe they are the perfect fit for my body type.

i am thinking of picking up the Cone Project rs04. Simply because the denim is so unique in development. Details aside (definately not ignored or not appreciated) I am more interested in the denim.

(Ran or Groove...or anyone else for that matter) do you have a pair of the first Californian from Mister Freedom? The denim on them is similar to the OG Roy's in its feel. I have always been curious whether it is the same.

Edited by Noodle36