Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

If you ever have taken the time to build a pair of jeans you would recognize that Roy probably wasn't making much on his 150 price. He had to keep his price low to get people to try his jeans for the first time. If you are familiar how retail sales work it is usual 2 to 2.5 times the markup so I would guess Roy might be making less per Jean. It's hard to make jeans and also be responsible for sales. In my opinion as a jeansmaker in USA I would say Roy easily has a $300 product. Just because the Japanese got their operation real efficient we are used to paying less for more but if we ever want to makeour grandfathers proud we are gonna have to support the few jeansmakers we have in this country. If we buy Roy jeans and his business develops the quality will only improve

i don't think anyone would dispute that roy puts a lot of time into making jeans, but some would disagree on how we should value of his labor - i'm personally not convinced that roy slaper-stamped rivets are more valuable than rivets stamped by someone or something else. while i find it impossible and undesirable to share your patriotic motivations, i do appreciate others' perspectives.

if we ever want to makeour grandfathers proud we are gonna have to support the few jeansmakers we have in this country. If we buy Roy jeans and his business develops the quality will only improve

if our grandfathers knew we were paying over $30 for pair of jeans they'd have a heart attack.

if our grandfathers knew we were paying over $30 for pair of jeans they'd have a heart attack.

I'm sure $30 in our grandfather's age would be around $275.

That being said, I'm sure they are flabbergasted that we are paying insane amounts for shoes, suits, tshirts, socks, and just about everything

to all people that complaining about prices of ROY at selfedge, just dont buy them if you think the prices are too high, sefledge doesnt force you to buy them. On top of that, selfedge helps ROY brand to grow, $125 markup is nothing. You have not seen how people mark up prices here in Australia, a pair of dior that cost you $300 shipped at LVR, they sell it here for $600. simple as that.

to all people that complaining about prices of ROY at selfedge, just dont buy them if you think the prices are too high, sefledge doesnt force you to buy them. On top of that, selfedge helps ROY brand to grow, $125 markup is nothing. You have not seen how people mark up prices here in Australia, a pair of dior that cost you $300 shipped at LVR, they sell it here for $600. simple as that.

no, SE doesn't force me to buy them, but they do force me to buy them there and no where else.

@Happy Hooligan i see your points. now lets make an assumption. Now BiG carry ROY denim, would they still the jeans for $150 ? i dont think so as they need to pay costs like shipping, retailing cost, and some other bullshit. You think $125 markup is overpriced because at the moment only self edge that sells ROY. When there will be more retailers and they also sell it for $275, would you think it is still overpriced ? it is about business and people need more money so their business can grow.

@Happy Hooligan i see your points. now lets make an assumption. Now BiG carry ROY denim, would they still the jeans for $150 ? i dont think so as they need to pay costs like shipping, retailing cost, and some other bullshit. You think $125 markup is overpriced because at the moment only self edge that sells ROY. When there will be more retailers and they also sell it for $275, would you think it is still overpriced ? it is about business and people need more money so their business can grow.

no. BiG will charge you $240 for it and provide you with free chainstitch hemming. truth.

If BIG was selling these for $275 I would definitely buy them.

no. BiG will charge you $240 for it and provide you with free chainstitch hemming. truth.

That was funny, i needed that after seeing the Giants lose tonight.

standard retail fashion cost pricing is usually between 50% and 55%. if self edge is buying the jeans at $150 (giving roy the same revenue he always had) then the mark up to $275 is less than what you would find at most retail clothing stores. what a store charges is dependent on a number of factors (cost, shipping, staffing, rent, hydro, gas, etc...) and it is up to them to determine what is needed. if you don't like the price the worse thing you can do is just not buy them. no sense complaining about the price.

i can't remember where i saw it but there is a video with and interview with the president of alden shoes. there he talks pricing now vs. 40 years ago when he started in the company. back them he suggested that they should sell their shoes for something like $100 and was shot down by the then president for the price being to high. now look at the price of the shoes.

you want to talk retail mark up look at american apparel. their tshirts probably cost about a buck each to make and then they sell them for $20. now that is a high mark up.

i think this whole discussion (price increase, bad mouthing self edge/ROY, etc) is asinine. the cuts look great. the denim (from what i can tell through pics) looks incredible. and this is ONE dude doing something he loves and trying to make a name for himself in a culture he takes very seriously and appreciates.

if i remember correctly he's a tradesman. a metal worker, right? so, as far as i know, this is still a hobby (albeit hopefully a profitable one). everyone was praising his jeans when they were $150 because that's by far the cheapest american made selvedge jean you can find. LVC jeans are nearly that now and the quality control is shit. RRL is the same way. both companies produce great jeans, but at the end of they day THEY are the ones making the ridiculous profits, not roy slaper. so why don't you guys bitch and complain about them on the internet? or better yet, why don't you email them about how ridiculous their price increases have gotten. i'm sure you'll get REALLY far...

If people stopped comparing 'old' Roys to 'new' Roys and started comparing 'new' Roys to other brands, then everyone would be talking about how the quality of craftsmanship is as good as (if not better than) that of well-known Japanese brands, and they are cheaper too. Stop living in the past.

Man this shit is getting boring. Shit is what it is. ROYs are $275. That's that. If anybody wants to tell ROY his jeans ain't worth 275 then go ahead and send him an email. Probably ain't gonna happen cuz you are sending an email to him directly. He is a person that we are all talking about behind his back. Unless of course he keeps up on this thread, which I hope he has more of a life than to be surfing sufu.

I don't mean to offend anyone. I get both sides of the argument. We feel betrayed for some unknown reason, but in the end ROYs jeans are worth 275 if not more given rising suns prices and less personal work. He is one man keeping on and trying to focus on his work. That's that.

Now let's get some more pics of some worn in ROYs. They have been out for some time and somebody has got to have some decent wear.

As I understand it, neither LVC or RRL has turned a profit for the parent corp.

Also people have complained ad infinitum about price increases of LVC.

If people stopped comparing 'old' Roys to 'new' Roys and started comparing 'new' Roys to other brands, then everyone would be talking about how the quality of craftsmanship is as good as (if not better than) that of well-known Japanese brands, and they are cheaper too. Stop living in the past.

+1

If Roy could keep the leather patch clean and simple, that's the only beef I've got with his jeans

Can't agree moere rnrswitch, i have been lurking on this thread since day one. I have always wanted a pair of roys but i was broke over the summer and i spent all my money on shoes. but back to the subject at hand. I was on the fence before about buying roys because i hate spending over 100 dollars on anything whether it be jeans or shoes. I have a pair of nudies, a pair of edwin, and a pair of marc jacobs x wrangler. I may not have the most experience with amazing jeans but i read sufu a lot. I was on the fence before and im broke i thought these were a great deal, look at the attention to detail and the hard work ONE man goes to to make a great product. These jeans are worth over 300 dollars easily. I think roy quit his job to make this his full income. thats amazing, that shows true passion he loves this stuff. im sure he reads tthis and is just happy like when he see peoples raving about his product. it prob kills him to see people bitching about him making this his full income. think about how much more money he has to make to support him self. he prob didnt have the time to do the customer service and ship the packages and prob other things too. Think about how much time this will save him. I now will not buy a pair of roys but i may in the future when i have more money to spend on jeans. But think abpit the product you are receiving for the 275 you'd be spending on another pair of jeans. sorry but im pretty wacky right now and i love to write when i am stoned.

i hope someone will take my advice, prop 19 is being voted on in California tomorrow.

I have just bought a pair at selfedge.

At 275 I think they are at their normal pricepoint.

The thought that seemed to be running through my mind was this.

Roy's denim seems to get more customers ..

If we want Roy to keep up the quality and do the labor himself, how can we expect him to also run a website to sell his stuff and send it away...

Can he do that??

Answer is quite simple imho NO...

Hence somebody else stepping in.. It could have either been a employee and keep the biz small. And do PR and marketing etc. from the homebase.

Or he could sell the jeans to one of the respected denim shops and create a name for himself. Everything taken care of cuz Kiya has to market and ship it now.

Roy is now between the big names and can grow from there.

I think either one of the choices is a wise one. But to both cost are involved either for Kiya or the extra help.. Hence the markup.

No problem to me...

sometimes when I'm really down, I look at this picture and it makes me feel better.

?ui=2&ik=fcd15955bf&view=att&th=12b9a466479161ad&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_gf51mdlq0&zw

Philip was a stowaway on the boat I took for a few days down the Amazon, and he thinks we should stop whining about the price and get back on topic.

standard retail fashion cost pricing is usually between 50% and 55%. if self edge is buying the jeans at $150 (giving roy the same revenue he always had) then the mark up to $275 is less than what you would find at most retail clothing stores.

50% of 150 is 75.

150 + 75 = 225

Just saying.

Does anyone know if Roy is the only guy using the seashells overlock? Has anyone seen this before?