Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

This is really a great improvement in the whole "Small Business" Denim world. I really enjoy his personal touches to every pair made, he really develops a relationship with the customer and the denim he is sending them. Im gonna try and grab a pair here soon, but Im gonna plus one on the waist and on the inseam as I usually cuff my jeans.

I'm going to place an order for a pair this weekend, but wanted to ask those of you who have gotten a pair about the measurements.

My actual waist size seems to be a 33, and a variety of jeans I measured that fit me well (and in the same general cut as ROY's seem to be) measure at about 32 x 31.

I like a fairly snug fit, so was thinking of ordering 33 x 34, that squares with ROY's advice and I think with what I've read here.

Does that sound like the best bet?

I'm going to place an order for a pair this weekend, but wanted to ask those of you who have gotten a pair about the measurements.

My actual waist size seems to be a 33, and a variety of jeans I measured that fit me well (and in the same general cut as ROY's seem to be) measure at about 32 x 31.

I like a fairly snug fit, so was thinking of ordering 33 x 34, that squares with ROY's advice and I think with what I've read here.

If you are talking about the duck, I usually wear a 32x34 (I like the cuffs) and ROY made me a 33x35 and after shrinkage the shit was perfect. Measures 32 x 33.75 afterwords.

It will be interesting to see if ROY can come up with some other nice fabrics from cone. He says he plans on making other garments, shirts, jackets, etc. He is very thorough with his stuff. He even did that little special buttonhole for me. Lets see levis pull that off.

Man, $150 for well-made Cone denim jeans at a custom length?? That's pretty nice.

I'm going to hold out in hopes of some slate grey selvage duck or twill, though...

this thread is an interesting example of grassroots marketing. discussion is started within a niche community about an unknown brand, a couple exploratory purchases are made and all of a sudden bam! dude seems to have a bit of a buzz around his shit! it's great to see a bunch of members rewarding roy with some business because it seems like he's got a great fledgling business here. quality on those jeans looks off the hook!

If you are talking about the duck, I usually wear a 32x34 (I like the cuffs) and ROY made me a 33x35 and after shrinkage the shit was perfect. Measures 32 x 33.75 afterwords.

It will be interesting to see if ROY can come up .

Actually, I meant the denim. Looks like you are going to be the only lucky owner of ROY's duck pants for a while, which I suppose is as it should be.

I saw some people here suggesting going true to size for the denim- it didn't end up cinching your waist after soaking? The thought of trying to stretch out a size 30 to a 32 is daunting... I don't see these being a stretchy as APCs.

I'd also recommend getting the 33/34.....I usually like my jeans to stretch back out to original measurements of 32 so I went with a 32...There's just a bit of give but still a snug enough fit throughout which sounds like what you're looking for. You could even size up one for a looser fit but I'd say I'm satisfied with my sizing if it means anything...

Best of luck and when in doubt trust Roy! He knows whats up...;)

I saw some people here suggesting going true to size for the denim- it didn't end up cinching your waist after soaking? The thought of trying to stretch out a size 30 to a 32 is daunting... I don't see these being a stretchy as APCs.

Ooops, sorry you posted this while I was posting in response to your other question! But yeah, my waist was a bit snug but not unbearable...But I didn't put anything in the waist while they were drying from initial soak, and I didn't put them on while still damp to stretch them out easier. I was, however, able to easily get the waist back to original measurements by sticking a hanger in the waist for an hour or two which isn't as daunting a task as it seems. Just be wary of the APC assumption though...these babies will NOT stretch out much past original measurements in the waist! A 32 will stretch back out to a 32, etc.

:cool:

Actually, I meant the denim. Looks like you are going to be the only lucky owner of ROY's duck pants for a while, which I suppose is as it should be.

Dude, if you are going to buy a pair you should see if you could take some pics of ROY making your jeans. Doesn't he just live on the other side of the BAY? Do it. Do it. I fucking dare you. You little nancy boy.

Dude, if you are going to buy a pair you should see if you could take some pics of ROY making your jeans. Doesn't he just live on the other side of the BAY? Do it. Do it. I fucking dare you. You little nancy boy.

Geez, don't make me cry. I'll see what I can do.

I like to bully people.

Man, $150 for well-made Cone denim jeans at a custom length?? That's pretty nice.

I'm going to hold out in hopes of some slate grey selvage duck or twill, though...

hi Zissou

i asked him about duck the other day, he is willing to do more in a few weeks.

didnt ask bout grey selvage, but ill second you on that.

How much did you end up paying in total for your Roy duckies?

They were $215 shipped. I guess the duck fabric is a bit more pricey than the denim and he also needed to do some tests on the fabric for shrinkage, but after receiving these jeans, I would have paid more for them if they cost more. I would easily put down $285 for a pair.

I came up with the duck idea, because I really wanted to support the dude, but I couldn't justify another pair of denim when I have a pair of Sammies that still have tags on them, so I just asked if he had any duck fabric and he had just received the fabric in and was open to the idea. Boom Boom Boom, I got a sweet pair of jeans.

hi Zissou

i asked him about duck the other day, he is willing to do more in a few weeks.

didnt ask bout grey selvage, but ill second you on that.

I asked him, and he said he'd keep an eye out. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

so the duck pants were a one off thing and he isn't doing them anymore? this is my predicament as well, rnrswitch, as i still have jeans to wear. can't justify another pair.

I think he will make some more in the future, just not right now.

I think he will make some more in the future, just not right now.

i think that because of his recent fame he might redo duck pants pretty soon :)

but i like Zissou's idea better, grey duck pants could be pretty cool and my choice will be that one;

As it turns out, ROY and I were both at the Selfedge party last night, but I didn't know he was there until afterwards, so didn't connect with him face to face.

I did talk to him at length on the phone today, though. He seemed a bit reluctant at first to let me take pictures of his studio, but after talking it over for a bit he is into the idea. Not during active production time, though.

So after my jeans are finished, probably about a week, I'll head over to Oakland and see the place, talk to ROY, and take photos.

I'm primarily interested in the machinery, so I'll be asking him and looking mostly at that, and in particular his chainstitching machine. If anyone is interested in some other particular aspect of his operation, let me know before next week and I'll look into that too.

rnrswitch, do you always get what you want?

^^Hey Roy, nice meeting you at the SE party last night! I also didn't know the other ROY (the one who makes cool jeans) was there...I'm definitely looking forward to your pics of his workshop!

Youngpunch, great to meet you too! Especially since you and your buds were some of the few not too stoned or drunk to carry on a decent conversation. Not naming names, just saying.

As it turns out, ROY and I were both at the Selfedge party last night, but I didn't know he was there until afterwards, so didn't connect with him face to face.

I did talk to him at length on the phone today, though. He seemed a bit reluctant at first to let me take pictures of his studio, but after talking it over for a bit he is into the idea. Not during active production time, though.

So after my jeans are finished, probably about a week, I'll head over to Oakland and see the place, talk to ROY, and take photos.

I'm primarily interested in the machinery, so I'll be asking him and looking mostly at that, and in particular his chainstitching machine. If anyone is interested in some other particular aspect of his operation, let me know before next week and I'll look into that too.

rnrswitch, do you always get what you want?

Not all the time, just most the time. I like to do it by intimidation and coercion, in other words, I'm a bully.

I hope ROY doesn't feel like I started this whole "one off" craze. "Hey dude can you make me this, but with this and that, instead of what you actually make?" He probably don't care. It is what sets him apart from others.

Wow, it would have been nice to meet him. I don't know how me at an SE party would turn out though. I believe I burnt that bridge a long time ago. Maybe next year I will show up incognito and shit. My name tag will read, "rmrswitch." They will never know it is me.