film cameras (medium format, large format, 35mm, whatever)

joelz

I feel like this thread has come up a few times (based on a cursor supersearch) but there's been no single thread that seems to have this info.

So -- talk to me about film cameras, I'm mostly interested in Medium Format (the girl shoots a Yashicamat) - whats the best value/quality/most fun to play with?

MF setups can be had for next to nothing. My friend got a Mamiya RB complete setup for 400$ from KEH. I've also been looking at an MF setup but with a digital back. They can be had for less than 2000$ if you look hard enough. I'd love a Hasselblad but they are much much more expensive than the Mamiya's...

is the benefit of hasselblad interchangeable lenses? I know the yashica has lens extensions (wide angle and filters and the such).

Where does rolleoflex and mamiya fit in there?

is the benefit of hasselblad interchangeable lenses? I know the yashica has lens extensions (wide angle and filters and the such).

Hasselblad itself is because of lens quality. It's not the only medium format SLR, but the main appeal of those is the interchangable lenses, yes.

Rolleiflex models are typically TLRs like the yashicamat. Mamiya makes both TLR and SLR medium format cameras (and rangefinders, I think ~)

Just depends what kind of system you want to use. If you're entry level the yashica mat 124 cameras are really good. Quality photos and built in meter.

As stated before, Hasselblad lenses ( Zeiss Glass) are incredible. They are also relatively small for an MF SLR.

I don't have any experience with Rollei or Rolleiflex but from what I hear the TLR's are very good quality, and the lenses, are really good. They come in a few different focal lengths (wide to tele) and are pricey. Rollei makes MF SLRs.

Mamiya also makes both TLR's and SLR. I don't know much about the TLR's but the SLRs are very good value right now. Look for the RB system with the KL lenses. The only problem with these is they are HUGE beasts and can be a bit heavy to handhold once you throw on prism, back, etc. The advantage is the big 6x7 negative, big viewfinder and the rotating back.

Bronica also makes several different 6x6 and 6x7 MF setups that are relatively cheap nowadays. I don't know much about them though...

I have a Polaroid OneStep 600 and about 30 more boxes of Polaroid film sitting around my place. I bought a lot right when they said they were discontinuing it and have been using it here and there since then.

I used to shoot quite a bit with an Olympus XA-2 but got bored with having to wait so long between taking a photo and seeing it. By the time I saw them, I had almost forgotten I ever took them. That being said, if I had the money I would definitely shoot it more often.

I have/had (recently sold one) two Hasselblad 500cm kits 4 lenses. I love them. I think the only time i even pick up my D200 is for internet purposes. It is pretty sad, but since everybody is a "photographer" now it is the only way I do not feel like I am part of the movement. It is total BS though

the large format KING

20 X 24 Ebony

SV2024.jpg

The Ebony SV2024 is the finest 20x24 camera in the world today. It is constructed from quarter-sawn Honduran mahogany heartwood aged for at least 20 years, and, as with all Ebony cameras, the metal parts are solid titanium. The uniquely thin and supple yet durable calfskin bellows are hand-made to Ebony's specifications. A large range of reducing backs is also available.

had a great convo with a guy on the subway today who had a mamiya 645af - he got it for about 600, and he also mentioned a mamiya rangefinder (maybe the 7) - loads of interesting stuff here, thanks a lot for everyone's input!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

spudeey - I would pick one up. They are super simple and easy to use. You will have some light leaks, and strange color, but some people like that. You can shoot 120 or 220 (if you tape the light window in the back then mentally keep track of your shots) in the holga.

I picked up a Mamiya 645E a year or so ago and love it. Best advantage of Mamiya vs Hasselbald is lens price. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a Hasselbald but cant afford one, with multiple lenses.

MF setups can be had for next to nothing. My friend got a Mamiya RB complete setup for 400$ from KEH. I've also been looking at an MF setup but with a digital back. They can be had for less than 2000$ if you look hard enough.

You don't say?

can somebody recommend me an instant camera? I saw this http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=17140518&navAction=jump&navCount= and was wondering what the superfuture consensus on cool instant cameras are. yes i am hipster and we're on superfuture

not sure about that Fuji camera but i'm slightly familiar w/ instant film cameras. i have a Polaroid SX-70 but found it really hard (and expensive) to find film. so hopefully you consider that when looking into getting a film format like instant film.

but then again, i heard instant film is making a comeback.

http://blog.urbanoutfitters.com/features/polaroid

hopefully it won't be expensive...

can somebody recommend me an instant camera? I saw this http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=17140518&navAction=jump&navCount= and was wondering what the superfuture consensus on cool instant cameras are. yes i am hipster and we're on superfuture

Been shooting with an xa2 for a while now.

I have an infinity stylus incoming. pretty stoked as it is a true p/s instead of a rangefinder.

I also have an old polaroid camera, that I don't really know what to do with.

It's a pronto and it takes that sx70 film shit. I kind of wish i had film, because i love the polaroid aesthetic and medium, but anyways here are some xa2 shots.

4810912876_d8acaf1608.jpg

4769713287_80e34db833.jpg

4810301265_fd0d6a76db.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/people/ianxxx/

I have used this camera a few times, a good friend of mine has one. I would try to stick with the Polaroid and Polaroid 600, but only do to exposure size, the Fuji's photos are rather small. You can find this camera online much cheaper then at UO.

Here are a few photos taken on the Fuji

4340020068_40f29bbeaf.jpg

4139227069_44ce602c33.jpg

4331597775_3b5becbe43.jpg

I've been looking for this one particular film camera I saw floating around flickr. the lens is very orbish and the body is square. Someone might know?

sorry for crappy description, can't really recall in detail.

possibly an ALPA.

I have a Mamiya RZ67ProII. Shoot ekta and velvia/provia. Recent shot:

4791998240_84730b8cb3.jpg