film cameras (medium format, large format, 35mm, whatever)

joelz

got some film back from my olympus stylus epic 80 today. first time using this camera. a lot of the shots had this weird bright white vignette barrel glare type thing going on. shot on kodak ultramax 400.

7798514966_183a0da993_z.jpg

really surprised at the quality of this camera. looks like an hdr photo and this is straight out of the camera.

7798513882_0c963cd7b7_z.jpg

heres an example of the barrel distortion lens glare bs

7798506974_9f999aee98_z.jpg

7798506122_3ffedd6e90_z.jpg

Edited by (10chars)

today i got a roll back from my canon wp1. first roll ive shot with this one. the view finder is way wider than the actual picture so a lot of the pictures were more tightly cropped than intended. also a few of the pictures had some weird shit going on with them, some black lines and some weird haziness -- might of been some water inside the camera or something. lots of pictures of my girlfriend and the beach, as always.. shot on kodak ultramax 400.

7804500194_9b5da8ec49_z.jpg

7804492472_44b8482b7d_z.jpg

7804491278_a810c03fe3_z.jpg

7804486464_f5d115c1af_z.jpg

7804484038_976db7efbb_z.jpg

Edited by (10chars)

• 1 month later...

hello, i just got a yashica mg-1 from my aunt. she told me she can't test the light anymore because she doesnt have any battery, and she's not a big fan of cameras, so she doesnt know how to use it. anybody mind explaining it to me how to use it? i've found a way about the battery by using 2 LR44 and a CR123.

I just know from EDC flashlights and stuff that even mixing 2 CR123s that are at different levels of battery life (a 20% and an 80%) can cause explosions and ruptures. I just wouldn't want to risk it considering how much power is in a CR123. I shot some old vintage cameras with old meters that took batteries that aren't made anymore. Camera geeks online would recommend going up a stop or down a stop - whatever. Photo forums should be able to advise you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

really surprised at the quality of this camera. looks like an hdr photo and this is straight out of the camera.

very few digital cameras in the market can surpass film in quality..very few..especially larger formats

• 7 months later...

Afternoon all. I'd like to experiment with 35mm cameras, albeit I don't know too much about them. I'm planning to purchase off keh and I'm wondering if this would be suitable for me:

http://www.keh.com/ProductDetaillist.aspx?STORE_ID=1&BRAND_CLASS_CODE_DESC=1&SKU_ID=CA020000117500?r=FE

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Manual-Focus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-CA060104001970?r=FE

I don't currently do much photography, but since I have to make a portfolio I need some pieces to go into it. I also own a sony nex-3, not sure how great it is but it served me pretty well. 

So I don't know about anyone, but I have a Mamiya 7II for sale. I can't afford MF film let alone 35mm, but 35mm is far more affordable. If anyone has any slight interest in this camera let me know. 

If you can afford to hold onto it for a little while longer I would try it again.  It took me some time to get used to, but once I learned to slow down and think about everything first I fell in love with the Mamiya 7.  Also the 43mm lens is amazing if you haven't tried it.

Anyone use a Contax G2? 

I have a G1, but gonna upgrade it eventually I hope.

@polygamy

A-1's were great cameras, so it would be hard to go wrong with one (unless it needs service).

If you wanted to go a similar, but cheaper and simpler, there's the AE-1/AE-1 Program which I've used many times and gotten great results from.

I've been using a Yashica Mat 124G for the past few months, and while I've really enjoyed it and gotten excellent results, felt like it was time to step up a bit... So I've gone and got a new friend.

uWAQnDX.jpg

If you can afford to hold onto it for a little while longer I would try it again.  It took me some time to get used to, but once I learned to slow down and think about everything first I fell in love with the Mamiya 7.  Also the 43mm lens is amazing if you haven't tried it.

I have a G1, but gonna upgrade it eventually I hope.

Oh I'd love to hold on to it and it's not that I don't want to use it or anything, but I actually can't afford to shoot with it. I'm in college now and I have no income to afford the film or developing. 

@polygamy

A-1's were great cameras, so it would be hard to go wrong with one (unless it needs service).

If you wanted to go a similar, but cheaper and simpler, there's the AE-1/AE-1 Program which I've used many times and gotten great results from.

Alright, thanks for the feedback man. I ordered the camera a couple days ago and it should be arriving in two days. I'm honestly pretty stoked. 

Picked this up for $10 at a thrift store. New battery; seals seem OK and meter at least functions, accuracy I dunno. Running a test roll through now.

9438149786_2c79d0226d_z.jpg

Re the yashica t4's lens, f3.5 doesn't seem super fast but it's not terrible in, say, late afternoon light with 400 film, and if it's dark, you'll be using the flash anyway and won't need f2.  Some stuff I've shot on a t4 super.

• 1 month later...

wow! ive always gone to a reputable photo spot to develop color neg. i think that might be an expensive endeavor. you might run through quite a few rolls before you even get a chemical mix you like, and im not even going to touch temp even though it seems like theres no dials for it on that machine, but it should be fun to mess with. youll have complete control over your negatives, im assuming those plus/minus switches are for push/pull, plus you can physically alter your film roll without the lab having a fit. not sure if that would damage your machine though, but id fuck with it just because you can. ive seen chromogenic bw treated with bleach. the results are psychedelic, and u can rock that instagram shit old school stylee with slide film. im jealous, have fun blowing all that money! :)

wow! ive always gone to a reputable photo spot to develop color neg. i think that might be an expensive endeavor. you might run through quite a few rolls before you even get a chemical mix you like, and im not even going to touch temp even though it seems like theres no dials for it on that machine, but it should be fun to mess with. youll have complete control over your negatives, im assuming those plus/minus switches are for push/pull, plus you can physically alter your film roll without the lab having a fit. not sure if that would damage your machine though, but id fuck with it just because you can. ive seen chromogenic bw treated with bleach. the results are psychedelic, and u can rock that instagram shit old school stylee with slide film. im jealous, have fun blowing all that money! :)

The whole machine is fully automated in terms of development.  You load your negatives into a drum in a dark room and then load them in the machine.  The machine pulls your developer from jugs from underneath and heats the developer to the correct temperature depending on the developing process.  It's actually very easy to use once you have it set up.

yo ADH92 if I occasionally mail you bulk (colour and b&w) film, would you want to develop it? what would the overheads be on that? be happy to throw some money your way (rolled up in film canisters, of course).

I would definitely be interested in developing for people down the line.  Just have to figure out the cost per roll and a scanning solution.

The whole machine is fully automated in terms of development.  You load your negatives into a drum in a dark room and then load them in the machine.  The machine pulls your developer from jugs from underneath and heats the developer to the correct temperature depending on the developing process.  It's actually very easy to use once you have it set up.

oh. thats kind of a bummer. i guess i assumed thered be more opportunities for human error. sounds sorta boring now.

oh. thats kind of a bummer. i guess i assumed thered be more opportunities for human error. sounds sorta boring now.

perhaps not, but in terms of consistency, quality, and control i believe it to be the best choice for my needs.  it develops black and white, c41, and e-46.  it develops formats from 35mm all the way up to 4x5 (all in one drum).  you can program your own developing processes to add an extra rinse, push / pull, etc.  i'll post some scanned negs and more of my thoughts in here once i've used it!