film cameras (medium format, large format, 35mm, whatever)

joelz

Big point for MF is the ability to shoot in square. Love my trusty old Bronica SQ-A and the Rolleiflex I just picked up. 6x6 is my ideal format/ratio. You can crop digital or 35mm, of course, but it helps to see square in the viewfinder.

Also enjoying a Hexar AF I picked up - enough that I'm probably going to sell my Leica M4 and Zeiss 35. Aside from the extra shutter speeds (which can be negated with a simple ND filter or slower film), I'm not finding anything I do where the Hexar can't equal the M4.

Does anyone develop their pictures?

You mean develop their film or print their photos?

I do both - B&W only, don't have the $$$ for a Jobo for colour - but these days I mostly just develop the film and scan it straight into my computer. I definitely recommend that anybody who shoots their own film give developing black and white a go themselves. Only three things you have to worry about is temperature, timing, and agitation, once you get them down it's bloody easy.

Anyway seeing as I'm here - this is my favourite camera out of my small collection:

24kSJ.jpg

Fuji Klasse S. One of the few film cameras that can still be bought new. Well worth the $$$

Edited by loc

I've been a fan of Color House and Lustre, but I need to get into scanning my own stuff.

Anyone have recommendations for scanners? I'm thinking 35mm and 120 being my main two films... B&W & Color..

Plustek supposedly has a 120/35 dedicated scanner coming out. Haven't heard anything about price.

I got a Plustek 7600i when B&H had them on sale (top of the line model under $300) - manual film advance, probably ~3000dpi real world resolution (I scan at 7200dpi with Vuescan then downsize in PS). Good deal on a 35mm scanner.

Also have a Epson V700 for 120 negs. Works okay for those, I didn't have much luck with 35mm in the flatbed.

ive been using a minolta srt 202 that i found at a thrift store for 15$, and loving the results. also have a nikonos v that my father in law gave me, but havent had a chance to use it yet because its too damn cold to go in the water.

seems like lately, i only use my dslr for shit i want to post on the internet quickly... fit pics and random skate shots.

This is really a crosspost from the photography thread, which I don't intend to do regularly, but here are some of my personal favorite photos (only shoot film)

I only use a Canon A-1 (for 35mm) and Bronica SQ-A which was being discussed in this thread for mf- different functions, different advantages obviously.

Living in the Los Angeles area- One Hour Photo Avenue in Hollywood does my C41; I do my black and whites

Tri-X

6515997703_6bcea21bf4_z.jpg

6515935759_b30e64fe8f_z.jpg

HP5+

6496816531_e9779a5645_z.jpg

6576477765_6911310c4a_z.jpg

Portra 800

6750773805_38f4c3c70c_z.jpg

6752413241_ed1252e143_z.jpg

400H

6754231943_69ffa361c6_z.jpg

6711964605_50cd28f8eb_z.jpg

6726833441_8285fb0843_z.jpg

Delta 3200

6510203877_0ef9834cce_z.jpg

Use KEH.com to check prices. Their BGN cameras are usually in much better condition than you'd expect - what a lot of Ebay sellers/etc. would call MINT LIKE NEW etc.

My Hexar AF was listed as EXC (all they had at the time) and it looks spotless - even has the clear plastic on the bottom from the factory. I've been using a BGN Bronica SQ-A setup for 10 years now with no problems.

I also vouch for KEH. They are absolutely stellar in their service. My only annoyance is that their rating system is solely based on the equipments exterior and you don't 100% know what you're getting in condition until you get it. But, I've never had any problem with that. They take returns, which is excellent, and respond to emails quickly during the weekday.

I've actually got a F3HP with 50/1.4 AIS on the way from them right now. I picked it up EX quality for under $350. KEH often rates generously, in my experience, so I'm hoping this camera is in awesome condition.

I'm looking into getting into film photography... any thoughts on the minolta x700? any lens recommendations?

looks like a solid slr as long as the electronics hold, exposure lock and aperture priority are good. Can recommend just going for fast prime lenses to start with, the 50mm 1.7 is standard. Most of the Minolta primes are good lenses.

6817467817_9066946e92_z.jpg

rollei retro 100 aka old agfa apx 100

can't get this stuff anymore - sadly it's a running theme with film.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

just bought an olympic trip 35 and an olympus infinity stylus epic

the trip is awesome... no battery required due to its selenium cell

takes the dreamiest photos, 60s-style

didn't see much film discussion in the previous pages

just took some lovely outdoor/landscape pix with some ektar 100 and velvia 100

portra 400 has been alright to me

what's everyone's favorite film to use??

i got some ilford delta 400 b&w film to use up also..

anyone got other b&w recs??