Fishing

haploid

depending on the river, your best bet would be using hellgrammites on a medium-sized octopus hook with a decent sized split shot about a foot and a half up the line from the hook.

here's an article: http://www.fieldandstream.com/node/57207

to catch them, get a big fine mesh net that you would use to catch baitfish and string it between two big dowels. have one person hold the net open downstream and one person go upstream and kick up rocks, letting the hellgrammites drift with the current into the net. hook them at the "collar" and throw the line out there. every single time i've fished with hellgrammites i've caught at least three 3-4 pound smallmouths, some even bigger. this was on the Delaware river.

went deep-sea fishing with my late grandfather years ago somewhere off of long island, ny. we caught more sea bass than we could hold on the boat... one of the best dinners ive ever had.

definitely want to go try that again

nice fish! probably fought like crazy, eh?

what are your guys favorite setups to fish with? i have an ultralight that's about 5' with a spinning reel loaded with 4 pound fluorocarbon line for smaller panfish, and a 6'6" medium rod with a pretty decent pfleuger reel with 8 pound fluorocarbon. i prefer fluorocarbon because it doesn't stretch and you can feel the bites easily.

getting the boat setup this week, so hopefully some success stories to share in the near future.

Man, I gotta get some fly action going. The whole thing seems much more subtle, yet deliberate than any type of fishing i've ever done. I mean, you get some polarized glasses, see a fish through the water and put the fly right in front of it's face. Lake fishing is kinda a crap shoot in comparison and ice fishing is basically drinking while waiting for a tip-up flag to pop up.

I grew up bait fishing, then moved to gear. I haven't used spin or bait gear for a while, even started moving into offshore fly fishing (obvs still gotta troll for bigger fish), but there's something I really like in fly fishing, maybe it's just that I feel it's a more level playing field between the fish and me. Your catch % will drop drastically though until you get really good at placement and mending, then should skyrocket. I can still appreciate spincasting, I can't say I ever wanna bait fish again, I guess there's just a place for everything. It's way worth looking into, just be ready to drop stupid cash on gear...it gets outta control sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

some pics from a few trips this summer

out with some friends and my friends gf caught a bigger bass than ive ever caught. lucky beezy

a-1.jpg

ab-1.jpg

out with the grandma

ac-1.jpg

dads friend

ad-1.jpg

dads sturgeon (not the biggest hes ever caught but still pretty damn big)

ae.jpg

• 1 month later...
fishing3-1.jpg

couple season's back Steelhead on the Applegate (trib of the Rogue). Super tech small stream on a 5wt, got him on a caddis variation a friend showed me how to tie with a bead head dropper. So stoked he hit the dry. Felt super undergunned on the 5wt.

Nice steelhead. I love to shorecast for loopers on Lake Superior during the spring runs. I go the crude and easy route, 8'-6" salmon rod with Krocodile spoons. Early winter is a good time for them up there too, following the early ice sheets along the shore. That I haven't done that for a while, although I do have a bunch of dropshot rigs already made, hoping to experiment with a different winter approach.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...