POLL: hay guys im entering a photo contest

Kev07

PICK TWO! (1 from the first 4, 1 from the last 2)  

11 members have voted

1. 1. PICK TWO! (1 from the first 4, 1 from the last 2)

• 1. crazy cloud
    • 2. dorms
    • 3. horse track
    • 4. amusement park with lady
    • 5. subway craziness
    • 6. halloween

I'm trying to pick out two photos for a photo contest, one for each genre (explained in next paragraph)

had a little vote on facebook, and these are the last few that its down to from the original 18

first genre is is:

Secret Life of studying abroad

Of course you are studying abroad for the academic enrichment, but what other activities are you taking part in? Have you become a star cricket player while in Norwich? Or become an island singing sensation in Barbados? Have you boxed with a kangaroo in Australia, donned a kilt in Scotland, or belly danced in India? Show us photos of what you’ve done when not crackin’ away at your studies!

second one is for
Landscape/Cityscape/Artistic

Bring out your inner National Geographic photographer with your amazing landscapes or showcase a different point of view!

and here are the pics

1. I found a cool cloud in Japan

2_Kevin_Duong_HKUSTBusiness_20098.jpg

2. The dormitories at night, taken from the balcony on the third floor.

2_Kevin_Duong_HKUSTBusiness_200910.jpg

3. Horse Track, I won $100 HKD on this race.

2_Kevin_Duong_HKUSTBusiness_20096.jpg

4. Ocean Park Amusement Park in the evening on Halloween night. In addition to the regular rides, there were also haunted houses this night.

(some people say I should crop out the lady, other's say it adds "hong kong-ness to it"

2_Kevin_Duong_HKUSTBusiness_20093.jpg

5. Subway in Tokyo, Japan taken at 7am in the morning.

1_Kevin_Duong_HKUSTBusiness_20093.jpg

6. Halloween in Hong Kong.

1_Kevin_Duong_HKUSTBusiness_20092.jpg

help me out! first 4 pictures are scenic/landscape, last 2 are for the "Secret Life" (not sure if the horse race track should be a secret life picture or a landscape picture)

Vote for 1 of each, thanks!!!

sorry, they're right. they do all suck

but if you must pick.

#2 or #3 for subject 1

#3 or #4 for subject 2

nice sexi04 btw. i'd rather see pics of those

sorry, they're right. they do all suck

but if you must pick.

#2 or #3 for subject 1

#3 or #4 for subject 2

nice sexi04 btw. i'd rather see pics of those

ty and obliged with the most recent pics of my sexi04s. the ones that you see in the photos up there were prewash (i'm waiting for good daylight to take some real fit pics, these were taken by my friend at a party

22756_328888473625_514443625_475016.jpg

i have to say none of these photos are in the least photo contest-y worthy, at least not seriously. they're pretty boring and lackluster, quality isn't even anything amazing for any of them

sorry man from a photographers perspective none of those photos are worth $hit... You don't need a fancy DSLR to nail the basics like:

good exposure (lots of blow outs or blacks in your photos & washed out colors)

get rid of distracting elements (that big ass side rail in the horse pic)

Interesting perspective (all were taken while standing up....booooring)

Although that one on the subway has potential, too bad you cant go back in time and redo it.

thanks for the tips

i've been reading up some stuff on photography but it pretty much got pushed to the side since i started winter quarter, but i definetely want to get into it more. I actually have a bunch of pictures that I took at other angles (opposed to just simply standing up), maybe ill look through my photos again when I have time.

for the most part though, i didnt take those pictures with the intention of entering a photo contest, those are just pictures that i took on my travels and when i got back, I got an email with the opportunity to win some amazon gift cards. I'm also pretty sure that the photo contest isnt a contest based on actual photography skills, moreso on finding good pictures to advertise the exchange program

nonetheless, i thought those pictures were good, but i guess I have a long way to go.

(PS: all pictures were taken with an LX-3)