usa :: seattle :: general

fobolous

Yeah you were lucky. its 50 degrees and rainy right now...So basically, while it was probably a great experience it wasnt the "Seattle" experience :P

Yea, the heat was actually bugging me, but the nights were just perfect. We did get patches of shower on Monday. Here's what I thought coming from The Bay Area/Orange County:

Impressed With:

_Le Pichet

_Crumpet Shop

_Greenlake (I wish I brought more than just my jeans)

_Salumi (skip the sandwiches, just order the meats)

_EMP

_Transportation (Free Ride Zone/Ferry)

_How nice the people are

_Teas & Coffee (It really is noticeably better)

_The Central Library

_Waterfall @ Pioneer Square (Nice getaway for a quick lunch/break if you work nearby)

_Pioneer Square Bars (Drinks were so cheap, I'm still stuck guessing why)

_Elliot Bookstore (It's a shame the only things around me are B&N & Borders)

_Fremont (I can seriously move here)

_Mack & Jack's Red Ale

Disappointed In

_Piroshky, Piroshky

_Market Place (Seriously, it's cherry season, and they're still charging $5-$7 a pound)

_The Pier (Should be renamed Tourist Trap)

_Bainbridge (Everything closes too early)

_Downtown SAM (The exploding car centerpiece is utter crap)

_Le Panier

_Belltown (Bougie, sub-Beverly Hills vibe)

_Manny's IPA & Red Hook

• 2 weeks later...

new watering holes in town worth mentioning:

1. new cha-cha

i really like the new cha. high ceilings, less stinch, and more room. i can't wait till i hear about an incident of the first drunk victim who falls down those stairs though.

2. smith's

linda's new bar on 15th. high ceiling, open windows, easy breezy. i haven't tried the food yet, but according to my friends it's good bar grub. i liked the nice rustic hunter theme.

3. moe's

neumos (new moe's) is now an oldmos with the return of moe's. high ceiling (yes, i like high ceilings), nice interior, and cozy space. likes its.

4. solo's

it's been open for a while, but i thought i'd plug in in case any of you are wondering aorund LQA. start off at mecca, then finish your night here. good lounge, good peeps, and a good way to get away from the usual crowd.

I've only been to Moe's and Smith so far.

Moe's was nice and quiet when I was there. I liked it well enough. The high ceilings and the gold pattern wallpaper are great. The jukebox did not live up to the hype I'd heard about it, but who cares, really? The happy hour there is supposed to be great, too, but I have not made it yet. Moes seems like it will be a good spot to have last call. It wasn't really noisy when I was there, and it's right next to Frites.

I didn't like Smith's that much when I went there, but I was there opening night. I'm going to go back again sometime when a billion people aren't there frantically checking out who else was cool enough to come. The menu looks good; they have venison meatloaf and sweet potato fries.

Oh, the Redwood has a new menu that they serve untill close. The highlight, I'm sure, is the fried twinky.

i assure you seeme, smith's will live up to your expectation. tonight when i was there there were enough people to fill up all the tables, and it was quite fantastic.

I might have seen you there...

I wanted to go on the opening but it was so full people were waiting to get in. Kinda funny there was a massive dropoff on day 2. Good food, good drank. Smiths is good stuff.

Yeah, the crowd Tuesday was ridiculous. My friend and I went down to 22 Doors to drink while we waited for it to thin out some.

22 Doors was really disappointing. My dirty martini was sub-par, and my friend did not enjoy his G&T. Our waitress was great, though, as was the covered patio area. It's another place I'll come back to again in the hopes of a better experience.

God, maybe I am just a finicky jerk.

I've been around. I don't even remember what I ended up doing on Friday. I was at Moe bar for a while for some guy's birthday party, and at CHAC for about a minute.

Saturday I went to Hip to the Game at CHAC, which is put on by the Emerald City Soul Club guys from Lo-Fi. I'm still hung over.

one thing i noticed about some areas of new york, particularly williamsburg is that the brooklyn hipster style is a direct descendant of the proto-typical seattle hipster. i mean, cats in seattle really invented that shit back in early 90s. i guess all those seattle movies that came out spread the hipster ideal.

but i guess the early 90s seattle hipster has roots in the late 70s new york hipster, so it's all connected anyways.