usa :: seattle :: general

fobolous

ago Seattle (and Portland) people! Need some help here...work stuff. Would someone mind listing what shops are in the area, Sufu related or street/contemporary are fine. Skate shops also. I run a tradeshow based in SF and we're expanding to the Northwest, and I'm trying to get my bearings for the region. I'm familiar with Blackbird, Zebra Club, and Lizard Lounge (Portland?)...I know Goods closed, but I know there has to be more I'm missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm gonna be in Seattle soon and will buy many beers for the info.

Y'all be the bestest.

communion on hawthorne has some rvca/poler type stuff. worn path also may be worth looking at.

• 3 months later...

Cosign on the Honey Hole for a wonderful place to get a sandwich, if somewhat dimly lit. On the subject of BBQ slathered meat Bainbridge Island Barbeque is outstanding, and if you manage to eat your meal with room to spare get their deep fried s'more. My god. It is so good.

Pink Door is decent for Italian food and right down in Pike Place, which is always worth a visit. For a must visit site of Seattle, it manages to keep a relatively quick pace of pedestrian flow by offering ample walking space to get around people who are shopping. My personal checklist whenever I hop a bus downtown is to visit the Pike Place Creamery and get a bottle of their chocolate milk. Its a lovely dessert, especially on a hot summer day as a drinkable alternative to ice cream. Comes in a glass bottle that, when returned, earns you a hefty refund.

Red Light Vintage is a real clutter of a store on Broadway, but I have found pieces there that I liked. When I came back from college in Spokane I knew I would be heading back to winter storms, so I got a knee-length navy wool air force jacket that fit nicely. I have also happened upon YSL ties, Dior Ties, etc. Its all about knowing what to look for.

In a similar vein, Half Price Books on Capitol Hill has a great selection of movies and music if you like getting your stuff legally as well as on the cheap.

I've heard good things about Acme Barbershop, and plan on stopping in there for my next haircut.

Everett is highly underrated as a city, especially considering if you choose to travel to Seattle by train. You can hop off at Everett if you are hungry for Mexican especially. El Paraiso on Colby has friendly wait staff and I have always enjoyed my meals there. If you get there around lunch time, burgers at Z's are pretty good (also on Colby, near El Paraiso). Big part of going there is the fact that the owner is just so damn nice. If you go in with a bunch of friends you'll often end up with a free basket of fries, he cares if you are enjoying your meal, and has been there since forever. After eating you can walk down to the bluff that overlooks the bay and walk through the picturesque surrounding neighborhoods. Bus Route 510 from Everett to Seattle is less than 5 bucks and should get you there in about an hour depending on traffic.

Hi guys. I will be attending a wedding in Seattle soon and will be taking a week off to get there early since I've never been. I am looking mainly for food recs. I've looked through this thread and have jotted down random things but any places I must go? So far all I have are pikes place market and salumi. Would like to get the highest quality sushi possible and will take any suggestions for other food the city does well. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard good things about Paseo, need to check that out. Haven't heard of any new food spots lately. Who are you going to see? I was planning on seeing Aesop Rock on the 25th but turns out my trip to San Francisco got switched to that friday-sunday. I'll just have to see him another time, though Skelethon was a hell of an album. Sad to be missing out on this one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

seattle was killer so much good food

the only place with clothes i really cared for in the downtown area was Zebra Club

other than that i got some neat stuff at the military surplus store and i got some docs at the docs store

Le Panier in the market had some really fucking good french food

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the website I only see women's, but even so I would want to check that store out. Will do so asap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

can someone give me a rundown of the neighborhoods in seattle? might be moving there for grad school, would like to stay near UW campus but also wanna live somewhere decent/interesting/inexpensive

well you go north of the u-district and you get the north end with little neighborhoods like maple leaf(where i grew up!) and further north lake forest park, im assuming you wouldnt want to go too far away like mountlake terrace, bothell, etc.. its all pretty quaint and nothing exciting. east of the 5 you have the areas that sit on the puget sound like ballard, shoreline etc and imo they are a lot cooler and more interesting than north seattle but its definitely a bit more expensive if you are a college kid and could really increase your commute time. i dunno how getting to the UW from downtown is, i know its like right there but the 5 between downtown and UW is sooo bad at normal times of day; and thats coming from someone who lives right next to the 405 in LA, one of the worst freeways.

Anyway basically south of UW is gonna be more expensive but cooler/hipper areas. North is cheaper and more suburban but not totally without merit. Theres good places to eat all around Seattle and if you live outside of downtown but still close to the 5 you can always get there pretty quick in the evening or weekends for nightlife, shopping or whatever.

• 1 month later...

Just don't live in capitol hill. Too expensive and not that cool for living, but fun for drinking and seeing music. 

Central district is closest and cheaper, but it's a little shady by seattles standards. 

1st hill is basically cap hill almost. a little cheaper, but not by much. 

My vote for any new young person to seattle is to move to the University District. Central location to almost anything in seattle. great bus hub, lots of transplants. Cheap housing. it's a good starting spot. Downside is lots of college kids and some douchey jock bars and frat/sorority oriented places. 

Wallingford is nice, and fairly cheap and a great central location. 

Northgate is real cheap, but it's a little removed. it will take you about 30 minutes to get from northgate to cap hill by bus, and maybe 15 driving. the main attraction is strip malls, but it's not that bad if price is your biggest focus

If you are flexible though, and willing to live with people and get a room in a house, you can basically live anywhere for 600 and less. I payed 430 a month with utilities living in a house in the u district

• 1 month later...

Didn't dig through the thread but here are the places I frequently shop:
Blackbird R.I.P.

Kuhlman

Ian

BlueOwl Workshop
Deli Seattle( No Idea when they will re-open though)
Filson 

Skateboard/Streetwear:
Alive and Well in Capitol Hill
Recess in the U-District
Stussy Capitol Hill
Black Market Skateshop Belltown
35th North