usa :: seattle :: general

fobolous

Shopping:

* Blackbird/Field house, Barney's, Jack Straw I suppose, Ian as a last resort, Goods for streetwear, not much else...

Sights:

* Seattle Art Museum and the associated restaurant/bar

* Pike place

* Sculpture park

* Underground tour

* Fucking coffee shops? I dunno... Check out Bauhaus for good people watching, Stumptown/Cafe Vivace/Cafe Vita/Cafe Umbria for good coffee and nice atmosphere

* Honestly Seattle is more of a food/drink city than a sightseeing one. If you want to sight-see, get out into the nature around the city, skiing/olympic mountains/mount st helens/whatever.

Food:

* Fucking fantastic sandwiches at Salumi (worth the wait, get the sopressata with gorgonzola on ciabatta), Paseo, Skillet (street food, check their blog)

* Rancho Bravo & Tacos Gringos are the better mexican food in the downtown-ish area, though nothing to brag about if you're from somewhere with good mexican.

* Tons of good middle-higher end places including Tilth, Purple, Quinn's, Lark, La carta de oaxaca, via tribunali, glo's, le pichet, etc. Check urbanspoon for a pretty good list.

* Cheap and tasty asian food in the international district: Sichuan noodle bowl, MIke's noodle house, 663 bistro, Henry's Taiwan, Green leaf, Pho Bac, etc.

Drink/nightlife:

* Hipster dives and mildly trendy bars in capitol hill/downtown (Cha Cha, Redwood, Linda's, Unicorn for dives. Tavern Law, Knee High stocking co, bathtub gin for trendy speakeasies. Grey, The Saint, Barca, Zig Zag, Can Can are a few decent mid-range bars. Stick around capitol hill/pike place/belltown for a more lively scene. Afterhours on weekends at the electric tea garden.

* Meat market clubs/bars in belltown

* Clubs (as best as Seattle can do them.... which isn't that good) are mostly in Pioneer square and Belltown, with one or two in capitol hill.

* Hodge-podge of dives and upscale bars in Ballard & fremont.

A bit late, but since we're giving suggestions..!

Cafes ---

Cafe Allegro (very old and comfortable. One of the first customers of Starbucks roasted coffee and the original Allegro owner later went to become senior executive there)

Joe Bar

Victrola (for beans)

Vivace

Senso Unico

Panama Hotel

Food --

breakfast or lunch specials at Le Fournil [French bakery]

lunch buffet at Araya's [vegan Thai food -- meat eaters sometimes seem turned off by the "vegan" part of it, but it is seriously amazing. No one has ever been disappointed]

De Laurenti [sandwiches]

Record stores --

Wall of Sound [experimental, avant-garde, world, strangeness, and some normalcy]

Gallery 1412 (http://www.gallery1412.org) used to be "the" place for improvised, etc music but it doesn't seem to be as happening as it used to be. Chapel Performance Space (http://waywardmusic.blogspot.com/ / http://chapelspace.blogspot.com/) seems to be picking up the slack. Plus the space itself and surrounding the latter is gorgeous.

Thanks for the info. Hit up Blackbird/The Field House/shopping yesterday. Gonna try and use the rest of my time checking out some restaurants/bars/galleries you guys have recommended.

• 2 months later...

around town? how long are you going to be around/any ideas on where you want to go?

Light rail to/from the airport, it'll take you right downtown and there are signs pointing to it in the airport. If you're just hanging around downtown/belltown/pioneer square/cap hill/queen anne, maybe the occasional trip to ballard/fremont/u district, then you'll be fine with just the bus. If you want to take any trips outside the city (hikes, etc) you'll probably need a car of some sort.

i'll probably only be there for 3-4 days. i'm pretty much planning to go there to check out blackbird, but also i wanna check the ballard area and check out the ace and all the other main spots that everyone else was talking about in this post.

how much are the bus fares?

cheers!

Okay thanks. Moving to something else this website is funny:

http://ihateseattle.com/

"Why the fuck won't it stop being cold and rainy? I looked at a temperature map of America today, and it's at least 75 everywhere except for Seattle. Even Juneau, Alaska is warmer. And the real kicker is that the forecast for next week looks exactly the same. Rain and cold. Where's summer? "

"I've lived in several major US cities in a wide variety of areas and regions (NYC, Boston, Dallas, SF, and a number of other places in between), but none of them comes close to Seattle in terms of social dysfunction. And I say that in a very serious, sincere, and un-sarcastic tone. "

"the overly chipper fucks at starbucks."

"I'm doing my best not to come completely unglued in this shit-hole, poorly mannered, self-absorbed, Kumbya singin', Birkenstock wearin', loner town before we move. YES, I'm SHITTING on Seattle."

• 1 month later...

Quick Question for the seattle dwellers.

I need to get to the apple store tomorrow traveling from Bainbridge.

Any idea how much a cab is gonna set me back and if I can get one at the

.university village?

Thank you

Oh and anything good on in the city ?? I am here for another two weeks.

haha what the hell are you doing staying on bainbridge?

Late notice, but a cab would be maybe ~$60 round trip, faster to take the bus tunnel to u village, or just use google maps to find transit.

you missed the block party last weekend, and bite of seattle the weekend prior. Not sure there's anything particularly eventful going on this weekend outside the normal goings-on...

The movie 'Grassroots' is filming in Seattle in random places. Mostly around Capitol Hill. Movie directed by Ben Affleck and starring Jason Biggs. Last week it was at Re-Bar, this Wednesday it will be at Seattle Central Community College. They're looking for extras if you want to be part of the spectacle. I'm sure you could google about it any day of the week to see where they're at next.

Also, you should check out Seafair which is a summer long series of parades, festivals, races, and all kinds of clusterfuck. Schedule can be found here: http://gonw.about.com/od/eventswa/ss/seafair_6.htm

Also, also I recommend a Northwest Native Arts Festival on the weekend after this one, though it's in Tacoma:

http://www.evergreen.edu/longhouse/comingevents.htm

If not, Umoja Fest as part of Seafair should be good.

I swapped houses...

Guy gets to live on my houseboat near Amsterdam, I got Bainbridge for 3 weeks,

Got to say I really enjoy it, got a car at my disposal and all so not too bad.

But the again I am here for 4 days now and I have yet to speak to one of the neighbors

Just was wondering if it was worth the drive and ferry fare.

Got the roundtrip for 40 so not that bad but next time i'll drive myself.

Was afraid that I would end up on a busy Hi way but it was a breeze...

Will check out your tips. We went to Port Townsend today. Great lunch at hanazono. If in that neighborhood, I can recommend it....

• 2 weeks later...

spent one day in seattle, loved it

i really like how the downtown transit is free from something like 9 to 5 if im not mistaken.

and the overall geography of the city is pretty cool with alotta hills and stuff.

made the trip to ballard and saw some cool shops, bumped into jimi hendrix statue but what i really wanted to see but didn't have enough time to was bruce lee's tombstone. maybe next time

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...