Patrik Ervell F/W 2010

morgan86

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty damn cool...Lot's of good shit to pick and choose from. That belted/cinched look is cropping up everywhere these days. I did expect a continuation on the rust theme from s/s 10 but oh well. Overall, I'd say that this is definitely the most lux-looking collection he's put out to date.

look's like the backpack's coming back! looks pretty consistent with his other collections, although i do wish there were more knits shown.

edit: i know ervell's known for more generous cuts, but anyone else think the cuts on some of the pants this season are too generous?

as is to be expected, i love this. almost feels like a "fuck you" to people who've turned their back to him over the past few seasons, or wrote off the rust collection as cerebral garbage, etc.

there's something a bit more european in this collection's vibe that is interesting played off of the other american sportswear hallmarks ervell enjoys using; it's giving me a bit of a dries van noten feel in some ways.

killer outwerwear and suiting as is always the case, particularly with his FW collections, although the cinch belting is a little too similar to recent burberry trench coats... albeit, this looks a bit more tech-y, like when dudes were strapping their Jansport tailstraps around their waist in the 90s.

via The Cut:

Patrik Ervell took on a military aesthetic at his fall menswear presentation yesterday. "I started with early Chinese army uniforms," he told us as he was winding down after the show. "But that was just a beginning point." His reinterpretation took military and expanded it to include the use of latex and rubber for transparent raincoats and gear. "These are all handmade," the San Francisco native said, referring to the flexible material used for the outerwear. "It takes three days to make one, and there are no seams — it’s all just bonded rubber." The idea of see-through clothes for men intrigued us, especially because the pieces are still wearable. "Part of what I do is for effect," he said. "There’s little space in menswear where you can really do these things that are more dramatic and a little more romantic. For me, I always find that space in outerwear. I mean, you could wear it as a raincoat. I would, and I don’t really wear crazy clothes."

Ervell seemed relaxed and satisfied by the end of the presentation, most likely because he overcame his biggest hurdle in the very beginning: Anna Wintour not only showed up to see his work — she showed up first, and early. "It's so characteristic of her, she comes early, which is kind of amazing," he said. Ervell officially made Wintour's list of designers to watch when he placed as a runner-up in the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund awards this past November, where he was awarded $50,000 and a mentor to help grow his business. "When they give you that prize, they’re doing it because they’re investing in you," he explained. "And you feel that they want you to succeed." While he doesn't have Anna on speed dial, he's happy enough counting her as a fan. "It's wonderful to have her support. What she does for young designers is amazing, and really, no one else does it. You would think someone like her wouldn’t take an interest, but she does, and she does more than anyone else." One of Ervell's representatives told us that before Anna left, the editor-in-chief asked them to pass along the following message: "Tell Patrik I loved the collection." We'd be surprised if Patrik didn't polish off a bottle of Champagne last night to celebrate a seal of approval like that.

Great collection, I agree with OMC's sentiments that it has a slightly european feel in some looks. Maybe its the cropped jackets and the wider leg pants.

Outerwear is as strong as ever, the field jacket looks amazing. I really hope people appreciate how talented this guy is.

good to read all that wintour biz above. from interviews with him recently, and the lack of stockists, it seemed perhaps his business was on the decline. still intently anticipating getting my hands on a suit from the s/s10 collection.

look's like the backpack's coming back! looks pretty consistent with his other collections,although i do wish there were more knits shown.

I agree. I was expecting more knits. This collection seems to be focused more on showcasing the outerwear. I can't get over the latex jackets/scarves....do want.

Anybody have pics of the packs?

Closer shots:

Ervellss2010.jpg

Ervellss2010-03.jpg

Ervellss2010-02.jpg

Ervellss2010-04.jpg

The new collection is up on patrikervell.com.

Seems like theres three iterations of the backpack:

Backpack in Black Deerskin Leather

Backpack in White Cotton

Backpack in Navy Cotton

Also, the belts don't seem to be attached to anything:

Snap Belt in Black Ballistic Nylon

Snap Belt in Army Ballistic Nylon

Many of the more military inspired jackets seem to have removable lining.

Knowing what materials everything is made of makes me want this collection all the more.

Hope he gets picked up by more stockists / prices don't increase.

Edit:

Padded Winter Buttondown in White Wool

Padded Winter Buttondown in Navy Cashmere

These are the greatest things I've ever heard of.

• 5 months later...

just checked out opening ceremony la's new shipment of fw ervell goods. collection looks dope as fuuuuuu

the fair isle sweater looks real good, reminded me of the our legacy knit sweater from last year. outerwear looks real strong, and materials seem a bit....tougher? in a good way, more resilient. the quilted shirts are amazing too

• 4 weeks later...