drone/noise/ambient

sawyer

hmm, that's a pretty broad trunk of a tree with many branches - perhaps you can specify more detail?

minimalism (dream syndicate, niblock etc) - usu more rigorous

electro-acoustic (usu tape-based but sometimes live instruments a la good rafael toral or kfw 20' piece)

electronic (jliat springs to mind)

noise-drone (nww lilith, organum etc)

i will offhand say that drone records has a pretty impeccable discography considering how long they've been around, number of releases and how specific they are about what they're doing

incapacitants at super deluxe in tokyo was probably the best show i have gone to in my life. 50yr (???) old bankers still got it in 'em.

i've seen alva noto and literally fell asleep, although i am a big fan normally. i went to ikeda's exhibition in tokyo too and it was pretty sweet, ableit a bit small. i stupidly rushed around it though for no reason when i should have taken my time.

hmm, that's a pretty broad trunk of a tree with many branches - perhaps you can specify more detail?

minimalism (dream syndicate, niblock etc) - usu more rigorous

electro-acoustic (usu tape-based but sometimes live instruments a la good rafael toral or kfw 20' piece)

electronic (jliat springs to mind)

noise-drone (nww lilith, organum etc)

i will offhand say that drone records has a pretty impeccable discography considering how long they've been around, number of releases and how specific they are about what they're doing

yea i thought of this as a catch-all thrad

thx for the recs on the bands and on drone record i've only dug around the obvious stuff like kranky and bookmat

been looking through this blog:

http://dronea.blogspot.com/

dunno if you consider the goslings drone or noise at all but what they did on 'grandeur of hair' is the sort of thing i dig

tbh - of the stuff mentioned that i know about that's been mentioned since my first post, i would only count radigue, ikeda and maybe the erstwhile as on topic.

not sure what radigue you're into but early pauline oliveros springs to mind for some reason (not because she's a woman, mind).

the whole ONCE box is unbelievable shit, as is the related sonic arts union LP on mainstream...

i can probably eyeball my CD later for more specific recommendations; the jim o'rourke halana list is pretty good too although a bit willfully obscure in line with the thurston list.

This is the most fantastic time to live in the Midwest. Ohio and Michigan are outputting a prodigious volume of cassette work, with really strong releases from Wagon, Pizza Night, Holy Cheever Church, AA, Mistake By the Lake, Arbor, Young, Catholic, Fag Tapes, and the list pours forth.

Sawyer, if you are on a KFW/ Emeralds bent I do an all new age/outer limits/meditative synths show Thursday nights/ Friday mornings 12-2 CST at www.whpk.org . Heavy rotation includes: Oneohtrix Point Never, Mist, Color Dream, Josh Burke, Dolphins into the Future, James Ferraro, Joe Raglani, Caboladies, etc. I pull a lot of old Kraut (Klaus Schultze, Ash Ra) as well as true new age synths (J.D. Emmanuel) and meditative records, and overblown synth soundtracks (Carpenter, Tangerine Dream, Frizzi). Ritual music, calm tones, etc.

I've really started to lock onto Keith Fullerton Whitman's Creel Pone label, which might be the absolute best avant/electronic crate dig or out-of-print material. Keith's site (Mimaroglu) is an absolute treasure of current and historical commentary and exploration of avant garde and outsider music of all patternings.

I pull a lot of old Kraut (Klaus Schultze, Ash Ra) as well as true new age synths (J.D. Emmanuel) and meditative records, and overblown synth soundtracks (Carpenter, Tangerine Dream, Frizzi). Ritual music, calm tones, etc.

ok - let's try this again... on that tip there's a decent robert schroder lp on klaus schulze's innovative communication. also i assume you are buying michael vetter lp's by the truckload while they're still tremendously undervalued.

in my book, schulze, popol vuh and later ash ra/cluster are more new age than "krautrock," it was like they were stolen away because of the pejorative associations of the term. kind of like how agitation free were somehow cooler than the dead during the 90s

used to be wayy into harsh noise/industrial/dark ambient back in the day. cold meat industry is a great label for that kinda stuff.

my personal faves:

whitehouse

masonna

sutcliffe jugend

the grey wolves

henrik nordvargr bjorkk (and all his side projects)

5f_55

winterkalte

prurient

concrete violin

msbr

cock e.s.p.

brighter death now

thirdorgan

hijokaidan

the gerogerigegege

ahhhh, first thing i do when i get home is putting some HARSH NOISE on my ipod again

Anyone listen to Apse? They're a good ambient band.

I pull a lot of old Kraut (Klaus Schultze, Ash Ra) as well as true new age synths (J.D. Emmanuel) and meditative records, and overblown synth soundtracks (Carpenter, Tangerine Dream, Frizzi). Ritual music, calm tones, etc.

Have you seen L'inferno? The 1911 silent film was re-released a few years ago with a soundtrack by Tangerine Dream.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0002130/