Alexander McQueen is dead

valhalla

I don't like speculating, but there are a whole number of possible factors beside his mother's death: work pressure (which is a lot more than people imagine in the fashion industry), the fact that extreme (creative) talents often seem more prone to mental health issues, the suicide of his great friend and mentor Isabella Blow a few years ago, the fact that he apparently never found a stable, loving relationship.. it is all so sad.

Suicide is an enormously complicated and little understood issue (as is depression in general) which can't be easily pinpointed on any particular thing.. and I can't believe the ignorant comment 'i don't symphatise with people who kill themselves' or whatever..suicide is the result of mental illness in the vast majority of cases. I have had some dark moments, never considered killing myself but I can understand where the impulse comes from in some unfortunate people whose mental health issues go untreated..those who have been lucky enough never to suffer from depression often seem to regard suicide as a sort of calculated, harmful choice people make (akin to say 'i'm going to steal a car today') when in fact it couldn't be any further from the truth.

Well put.

You can call it ignorant, I still don't mourn people who commit suicide.

I respect that they took control of their own destiny, but for fuck's sake I will NOT sympathize or empathize. By taking control of that choice it is the most fundamentally selfish decision one can make. This is said with a few friends who have been put on suicide watch by hospitals. They knew their choices, mental health or not. They accept their choices. There's no reason I have to mourn their selfishness just as they don't have to give a shit what I think about their choice.

I heard from the news that fans of McQueen are buying what they can in stores right now, trying to immortalize a part of McQueen in their wardrobe. The skull printed scarfs in particular are flying off shelves like hotcakes. That's a sweet thing to do for a great guy that's we'll probably miss. I'll probably do the same although I'm not that into his stuff. RIP McQueen, you'll be remembered!

I respect that they took control of their own destiny, but for fuck's sake I will NOT sympathize or empathize. By taking control of that choice it is the most fundamentally selfish decision one can make. This is said with a few friends who have been put on suicide watch by hospitals. They knew their choices, mental health or not. They accept their choices. There's no reason I have to mourn their selfishness just as they don't have to give a shit what I think about their choice.

Do you really believe people who commit suicide have any intention of hurting those who love them? Do you really think that many people would consciously choose to kill themself if their life was bearable? You don't seem to have much faith in humanity or any real understanding of mental illness, or you would know that suicide is the last action people take when they are unable to sustain their mental health.

You know what is selfish? Wanting someone to suffer to save the trauma their loved ones would feel. Trauma almost always goes away, mental illness in many cases does not.

Even if lets say hypothetically that they acted selfishly in this one action, how does that justify not being sympathetic for their death? This one aspect of their death doesn't change the life this person lived which for the most would be an honest one, this one aspect doesn't change that a human being died prematurely and wasn't able to live their life through to the end. It seems greatly immature and elementary that someone would disregard something for such a pety reason.

I heard from the news that fans of McQueen are buying what they can in stores right now, trying to immortalize a part of McQueen in their wardrobe. The skull printed scarfs in particular are flying off shelves like hotcakes. That's a sweet thing to do for a great guy that's we'll probably miss. I'll probably do the same although I'm not that into his stuff. RIP McQueen, you'll be remembered!

sounds like hypebeast went high high fash.

Well said.

• 3 weeks later...

apparently my post on here was taken the wrong way with lots of neg rep... just want to clarify wasn't trying to knock mcqueen at all. i absolutely love his work, every runway show of his i saw was incredible. i guess i made a a poor joke that was taken the wrong way, sorry to those who i offended?