Korean Vs. Japanese - Which Language?

kcsnacks

Which language, korean or japanese?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which language, korean or japanese?

yo,

So I'm going to be taking up a language for this year then hopefully travelling to that country afterwards for a bit just to work, buy shit meet people and have fun.

I'm tossing up between Korean and Japanese and want some help on which I should choose from people in those countries and those who have been to both.

so for all I've got for korea is - poon and food

japan - poon and clothes

wouldn't mind to try out skiing etc and just see some cool shit..

anyone care to help me out?

well work I can find really... I'll have to figure out my options but i've heard of jobs in places like resorts and what not...

I was just thinking though.. I'll be 19 at the end of the year... and drinking age etc is 20... would that cause any problems, or would it be best to go when i'm 20..

depends on your ethnicity and income / savings,

reality: it's hard for non-japanese speaking asian folks to get kawaii j girls. of course, there are exceptions but that's the general rule.

if you just want clothes and good food, i guess japan is a good option.

i have to warn you though... you will need a shit ton of money if you wanna party hard, cop jawnz, and eat decent food.

laying girls can be expensive too.

going out to meet girls (5k to 10k), going on a date (5k+), sex (0 - 13k).

if you are a teacher, i guess you can pick up a student, get her drunk in your apartment, and fuck her for <1k.

Come to China, aside from Shanghai it's cheap as shit here, the language is definitely more useful for future imo (and I studied Japanese for 6 years), the food varies depending on where you live, but you can get any cusine in most cities, and the girls are crazy easy.

Shopping sucks in most cities (Beijing and Shanghai are ok, but nothing great), but there are always cheap flights to Shenzhen so you pop into Hong Kong to go shopping.

edit: The girls are crazy easy if you're non-Asian, especially white.

1 year of Japanese class + degree or no degree = impossible to difficult to find a legit job/live a life in Japan... you might be able to order a burger at a fast food place semi proficiently

1 year of Korean class = enough to get you by when you graduate college and move to Korea to teach ESL, and ball out on your $1850/month less taxes and utilities

Korea is overhyped from all the k.pop stuff ,, everyone thinks korea is ultra-sweet. Is basically shanghai with 5x more lcd monitors and led's around town.

like herpsky says, unless you look like Bi aka Rain than you won't be getting much action if your asian.

Jap would probs be a better country to work in, but you'd need to be a lot more proficient and it'd be hella competitive.

Not something I can imagine the average person being able to get themselves qualified for within a year unless you properly dedicate your life to it.

One of my friends did like 8 months in Japan working in a hospital in Nagoya during his gap year, you could look into something like that? You won't get any dollar for it, and have to raise quite a lot of money just to get the place, but you'll get some good work experience and do quite a fair few things?

Once you've got your degree, there are tonnes of programs that will let you work in either country. Some pay better than others.

On the Japanese front, there's the JET Programme (I think they're now doing JET in the States, too) that pays fairly well and will set you up comfortably. But only if you have a degree.

As for Korea, a buddy of mine has done both English teaching and translation services and did quite well for himself at them.

Also, learn one and then try some of the other. Japanese and Korean grammar are almost identical. Start with Korean, since Hangul is the harder of the two writing systems...when you learn Japanese, it'll make learning kana that much simpler.

I look like a younger Sanada Hiroyuki

But I have been mistaken for Tokita Shintaro in Kyoto.

Will I get laid in Korea?

You will probably get taken by the arm and made to eat $60/serving bottom of the barrel yakiniku and then get sold a fake watch against your will. (0)

for the op azn8oi

i'd say learn spanish, you can pick it up semi-proficiently in a year and be able to smash babes all over south america.

habla espanol baby

for the op azn8oi

i'd say learn spanish, you can pick it up semi-proficiently in a year and be able to smash babes all over south america.

habla espanol baby

Yo estudiaba la lengua cuando estaba en el secundario. Yo todavia no lo olvidé.

Mmm... cuando voy a las casas de mis amigos latinos, usualmente hablo español con sus padres.

Siempre un chinito que puede hablar en español concepto.

"How much is a JET salary?

Participants receive Y3,600,000 per year, although a part of the cost for mandatory health insurance, unemployment insurance and pension is borne by each participant and is deducted from the participant's monthly salary. Assuming you leave without unmanageable debts here at home, this salary is sufficient to cover average living expenses in Japan. "

I think I rather work at a ramenya.

I think I rather work at a ramenya.

lulz. I'm just giving you what little I know about it. I'm still in the process of getting my East-Asian Studies/Japanese Language degree, myself...but I'm planning to do JET regardless. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I think Korean will be easier to learn as a language because it uses an alphabet almost exclusively. Plus Seoul is definitely a lot cheaper than a big city in japan. Whoever mentioned Shanghai was right on, Its cheap as hell and a lot of fun, either way make sure you visit Shanghai. As for girls in Korea, they are definitely interested in meeting foreigners and its not hard to find friendly girls so, I'm sure you'll do fine.

^^i think you mean a phonetic alphabet.

dismal is right, a year of japanese is going to mean nothing in japan.

i would imagine that spending a year in either country with no friends, minimal language skills and limited money would be unimaginably alienating and difficult. esp japan does not strike me as a culture looking to welcome outsiders in with open arms.

All the people I know who taught English in Korea and Japan got placed in the rural areas, so I don't know if they did shitty in the interviews or just had bad qualifications. All those East Asia majors whose lifelong dream is to teach in Asia are gunning for those placements in the big cities...

The pay really sucks, but what constant expenses do you have out in the country anyways.