Inspiration LA Event 2010 - 2011 - …

LandoCal126

Lots of pics there posted by a guy who had this to say about who attended the event. ouch.

Also the crowd really threw me off. I certainly was not expecting a large showing of the vintage living crowd. However I knew I was going to see the same weirdo middle age North American "Storage War" dealer-speculator guys (who were there) as well as the middle aged eccentric Japanese collector/enthusiast and the young hip Japanese searcher-dealers who scour American flea markets to sell to them (who dominated this event). However, what I didn't expect to see was such a large contigent of, not so much urban hipsters, but mainstream 'Style Forum' self professed denim aficionados. These are the kind of guys who, 6 years ago, would want nothing to do with anything vintage, and 6 years from now, will have moved onto something else.

I think I spied this guy walking around....only guy dressed in 30's leisure wear the whole weekend I think???!!!

However, what I didn't expect to see was such a large contigent of, not so much urban hipsters, but mainstream 'Style Forum' self professed denim aficionados. These are the kind of guys who, 6 years ago, would want nothing to do with anything vintage, and 6 years from now, will have moved onto something else.

Guys like this have some serious insecurities. It isn't a bad thing that you can actually find a lot of the things that were impossible to find 6 years ago -- that's thanks to the popularity. I want to see his post in 6 years when the Inspiration LA event is "lame" 'cuz hardly anyone showed up. It's a double-edged sword.

Also, the "mainstream" Style Forum denim aficionados (self-proclaimed or otherwise) is a pretty small niche. Not as small a niche as '30s lounge wear, still niche nonetheless.

(I think what he meant to say was that he didn't like seeing people that seemed socially well adjusted interested in "his" thing).

nice to see you all had a great time there. but i wished you would have taken more pics, though i understand everyone was busy looking at the stuff at an event like that. so what about the levis duck jacket that was on display. any infos on that ? and did you guys see larry from hellers cafe? i am so jealous.

I actually had a lengthy conversation with larry about stifel print shirts and overalls. Loved his shit man. I don't think i would ever want to own an original. I would feel guilty wearing it. I stick to repros so i don't feel bad when I get a ketchup stain.

^^^Seriously the originals were crazy fucking expensive. Some of the repro shit can be absurd too (TFH souvenir jackets were 3k I think) but yeah... the contrast in pricing was a bit of a surprise for me, I've never payed too much attention to vintage.

Really? I find that dealers that sell vintage are willing to bargain, whereas the seller of new clothing tend to have a fixed price. I was able to buy a ton of vintage stuff for the same or less than many repro items. For example, I bought a deadstock 1940's Test salt and pepper shirt for $200 and a deadstock 1950's chambray shirt for $150. Comparable to a higher end repro in price I think.

I have to agree that some of the very, very rare pieces that you see knocked off over and over are extremely expensive. This is why they are done. Because there is a lot of pent up demand in the market for these items, but just not enough originals to go around.

Couple more photos from INSPIRATION this year. My friend was having his Bachelor party so he put up a flickr page from the day with a lot of photos from the show. Taken by my buddy Shawn. Click here. Sorry I didn't get to talk as much as I would have liked to.

www.banditphotographer.com

3.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

wow matt thanks a lot for all those pics man. great!!!! the levis duck jacket looks incredible.

corey nice pics too, love the one of you four. awesome. whats the nice jacket you are wearing?

by the way what about mr freedom wasnt he there this year?

some of you guys attending actually didnt say hi to eachother? thats insane; i would be running around screaming OMG its mr rnr!!!! and Jeezes christ, eltopo is right next to him!!!

Yeah I didn't know who a lot of people were. Other wise I totally would have said hi to everyone. The jacket is a vintage french work jacket.

That fuckin jacket looked amazing. It would have been nice to kick it with you guys a little longer, but bachelor parties are about the bachelor... not vintage work wear.

That fuckin jacket looked amazing. It would have been nice to kick it with you guys a little longer, but bachelor parties are about the bachelor... not vintage work wear.

Thx Switch! Yeah agreed, next I should be able to hang more.