Apple iPad

herpsky

there are a bunch of internet browsing apps you can download in itunes that can run flash. I have one on my iphone, if you exit the app then you gotta reopen the flash page which can be a drag but it does work. Awesome to have to check stat tracker for live game stats on yahoo fantasy ball. Its called Photon something.

Debating between an ipad or mb air vs a netbook. I need something small, light, easy to carry and to type for taking notes for school.

I suggest paper. Cheap and effective. :) Also, won't expose naughty photos of you when you leave it at the bar, or cost a thousand bucks to replace.

I suggest paper. Cheap and effective. :) Also, won't expose naughty photos of you when you leave it at the bar, or cost a thousand bucks to replace.

Sadly I do not write as fast as i type so, pen and paper is kinda out of the question for now.

real answer is just buy both

I would buy both but I dont think its a worthwhile decision. Both would be used for nearly the same purposes but the Ipad seems to have an extra weight of convenience as a factor compared to a netbook.

I did try the Ipad out to type notes and it was decent but not better than having a physical keyboard. Do you think I can get used to the touch screen keyboard over time?

• 2 years later...

when this first came out I thought it would be cool if execs could use this to wirelessly or via Bluetooth control presentations afar

now you see businesses using it in place of a cash terminal or as one in partnership with companies like square

good example of how some tech start ups explode from a simple idea (Pinterest and four programmers) to something that neiman uses within a year of it's launch.

Sadly I do not write as fast as i type so, pen and paper is kinda out of the question for now.

I would buy both but I dont think its a worthwhile decision. Both would be used for nearly the same purposes but the Ipad seems to have an extra weight of convenience as a factor compared to a netbook.

I did try the Ipad out to type notes and it was decent but not better than having a physical keyboard. Do you think I can get used to the touch screen keyboard over time?

Hiya, I was in the same predicament as you.  

It depends on a few factors – 

1) Are you going to be writing notes de novo, for example taking paper notes from professor talking and only in words (for example outline of history)

2) Are you going to be taking a lot of diagrams requiring math / arbitrary flowcharts 

3) Will you be annotating slides, or needing to annotate PDFs quickly?

Because of 1), yes I'd suggest an iPad with an attached external keyboard sent directly to Google Documents for quick storage. However, if you're going to be needing a lot of 2) and 3), I'd probably recommend a real computer to do all those things quickly and efficiently. I know there are PDF annotation things available for iPad, but having faced this situation at a graduate level, I quickly went back to my computer to have the flexibility and ease of use.  I wish I could be as minimal as just having an iPad + keyboard but using those apps was clunky, and don't get me started on having backups, accessing those documents easily.* 

One minor caveat: I was working with ~6 PDFs of 50-200 page notes a day, so your volume of note-taking might not be as bad.