Apple iPad

herpsky

I still haven't been able to figure out whether you can actually write/draw on this thing or not, does it even come with a stylus?

I think people that think this ipad sucks (like myself) just don't see the point of this thing. If you have an iphone already, why do I want a larger version that can't make calls for $900? It is kind of retarded. I was under the impression it would be a tablet-esque pc device, not a massive iphone

I still haven't been able to figure out whether you can actually write/draw on this thing or not, does it even come with a stylus?

I think people that think this ipad sucks (like myself) just don't see the point of this thing. If you have an iphone already, why do I want a larger version that can't make calls for $900? It is kind of retarded. I was under the impression it would be a tablet-esque pc device, not a massive iphone

agreed. it can't run OSX, therefore i will not be purchasing. not saying it's dumb, even though it kinda is, but already having and iphone pretty much takes away any motivation to have this thing. also, no camera or gps means no augmented reality, which seems like a really bad move.

maybe i'm just not getting it?

It looks like it's in-between two generations of technology (current level of iPhones/laptops vs next level phone-computer or whatever) with not enough features from either to make it worth buying.

It's not light. It feels pretty weighty in your hand.

The screen is stunning, and it's 1024 x 768. Feels just like a huge iPhone in your hands.

The speed of the CPU is something to be marveled at. It is blazingly fast from what we can tell. Webpages loaded up super fast, and scrolling was without a hiccup. Moving into and out of apps was a breeze. Everything flew.

There's no multitasking at all. It's a real disappointment. All this power and very little you can do with it at once. No multitasking means no streaming Pandora when you're working in Pages... you can figure it out. It's a real setback for this device.

The ebook implementation is about as close as you can get to reading without a stack of bound paper in your hand. The visual stuff really helps flesh out the experience. It may be just for show, but it counts here.

No camera. None, nada. Zip. No video conferencing here folks. Hell, it doesn't have an SMS app!

It's running iPhone OS 3.2.

The keyboard is good, not great. Not quite as responsive as it looked in the demos.

No Flash confirmed. So Hulu is out for you, folks!

hmmn .

The main thing I'd be looking for with an device like this would be an app that functions practically like paper, so drawn and write (keyboard) anywhere within a document.

Would be the perfect thing during meetings etc.

Afterwards export the whole doc file into photoshop and start working from your quick sketches straight away.

I think that's what it would be perfect for.

A different note, perhaps I'm stupid and/or missing something, but why would one need 64gig on a device like this?

Dudes

You can use a Bluetooth keyboard with this thing, you don't need to buy the dock. Apple stockholders are happy, as the AAPL market cap went up $5b when Steve announced the price. If you don't like the Apple ibook store you can use the iphone Kindle app, and I'm sure Amazon will release a new one designed for the tablet. this thing is gonna be everywhere. Because the data plan is pay as you go, you can buy it one month and not buy it the next, which is kind of awesome if you think about it.

You can already go get a netbook with Windows 7 on it, multitouch screen, webcam, larger storage, faster processor, an actual keyboard, real web browser (with flash, which this doesn't support) for MUCH cheaper than this. I don't see the point. This does nothing an iphone can't do, it just does it a bit bigger.

what are you talking about? what you said is Apple in a nutshell. for everything apple produces there is a cheaper and better alternative in one way or another but that didn't make this company sell out

Baffled that Apple choose to fly in the face of the miniaturization of technology to make a product that's already available pocket sized, bigger.

First impression is that all of its functions are overlapped with things that people already have and that the backlit screen will sink Apple's masterplan to corner the ebook market once people realise the screen will hurt their eyes after extended use. Also, no multitasking and in built graphics tablet is a fail.

hopefully they make an iPad Pro that can actually do more productive things, not so much entertainment like Cotton Duck was hinting at.. I really wish Steve Jobs didn't find the stylus so obsolete.. I know I sure as hell can't draw/write with my finger :|

I'm just reading through people's reactions on the interwebs. My own feeling is this will be great about 3 or 4 models down the line when they finally work out what the people who are buying it need.

USB ports & video conferencing would be a good start.

what would anyone use a usb port for? a mouse?

video conferencing would be good though.

i honestly think it's a good product, what more do you want out of this thing apart video conferencing? maybe some software updates (flash, multitasking), but i think apple pretty much made the perfect tablet, even if it's an oversized itouch.

people are also complaining about the keyboard - make this thing any bigger, others will complain about the size.