Apple iPad

herpsky

Amazon's been giving away "free" kindles to customers who buy a shit load of books.

haha, i imagine they almost have to. to be honest though, i don't know how reading a book off the ipad is going to feel. with the kindle it's like reading ink off a book and doesn't bother my eyes, but this thing looks like you'd just be staring at a computer monitor, which is a whole different experience.

agreed...i've tried countless times to read books that have been formatted in PDF and the like on my macbook, and I just can't do it. It doesn't feel right or I feel like my eyes are being strained...the nice thing about the kindle is it is so matte and I actually think the black and white compliments the idea of it being for reading books.

I think its worth 1k, if i had that much money to blow. Its new and cool, but i also think its the wrong price point to get the masses in to it beyond fanboys/girls.

They should be on some PS3/360 shit with this and losing money, not profiting per unit... make it all back on the app store or some shit, this price is alienating to a lot of folks, even if you can justify it... i would want one, but not at that price.

I also kinda hoped they would figure out some amazing shit with the keyboard that would impress us all to hell. Does not seem like thats the case.

agreed...i've tried countless times to read books that have been formatted in PDF and the like on my macbook, and I just can't do it. It doesn't feel right or I feel like my eyes are being strained...the nice thing about the kindle is it is so matte and I actually think the black and white compliments the idea of it being for reading books.

Nobody reads books anymore anyways.

let's just hope microsoft decided to port office to iPad...

Apple seriously needs to develop a program similar to microsoft OneNote.

I've been using it on a tablet PC and it's insanely good.

yeah the kindle is 'only black and white' but disregarding the security issues, it also has a ridiculous library of books at its disposal. That and the screen's brilliant visibility somewhat justifies the price I think.

The thing is though, the ipad is a literally a glorified iphone/touch. Most of the applications that will be available for it in the short term will be ports or extensions of existing apps you can use now, i'd even wager that this is the limit as far as its capabilities go.

For the price they're charging, surely you could get a netbook with ion or one of those ultraportable notebooks with CULV and have a for more practical option?

You're gonna buy an ipad, then the keyboard, then whatever else over-priced peripheral Apple is going to make necessary, and within another year or two you're going to have slates/tablets that will completely outstrip this thing.

That's what I think anyway.

i haven't slept for 36 hours.

EDIT: I think its cool as hell Jobs and the crew almost killed the whole skit with the Newton, and came back so hard and made this... dreams do come true.

Technically, Jobs had nothing to do with the Newton; he was kicked out of Apple long before that, and axed it as soon as he returned.

You can already go get a netbook with Windows 7 on it, multitouch screen, webcam, larger storage, faster processor, an actual keyboard, real web browser (with flash, which this doesn't support) for MUCH cheaper than this. I don't see the point. This does nothing an iphone can't do, it just does it a bit bigger.

Oh and while we're at it, not making it EITHER 4:3 or 16:9 is stupid, so no matter what video you're watching, it'll have black borders?

Just like with what happened with the iPhone, right?!

Oh.....

erm, yes ?

*it wasn't even that far ahead of competitors when it was first released!

**and actually, i make my statement about the forthcoming tablets with great faith, hallelujah; considering this year's CES i'd say there's overwhelming proof that tablets/slates/whatevers are finally going to break into the mainstream.

It's obviously not going to replace a laptop, but it easily replaces a netbook or macbook air...

I was thinking about getting about getting both an iPhone and an Asus netbook, but for way less per month I could pick up a new non-smartphone and get an unlimited data plan with an iPad...

despite the hype, I think apple is right to a degree, it does fill a (perhaps useless) niche between phone and computer. I'd consider one, for sure. (But hell if I'm going to be anywhere near the front of the line.)