Samurai Denim

Guest The Diplomatic Aristocrat

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys just read the forum so dont get mad but im buying a pair of s5000bk raw. im a true size 28 and would like an inseam 32-33. what waist size should i get and what inseam shrinkage should i expect so i can chainstich hem them. i read size down two but then i also read size down one. shrinks about 2.5 inches? let me know i have no idea.

foldingsocks-

no, they don't shrink three inches in the inseam. like chantheman mentioned, they will typically shrink to a 36 inseam. and that is not 3 inches, it is 2.5. not to be overly picky frank, but you need to be more careful ... especially if you don't have them. also, the new lot is true to size. so, if you bought a 32 it would shrink to a 30, etc. so when you order, make sure you get those details beforehand from wherever your buying them. it will save you time in the long-run. and frank, im not sure they make the 5000's in a size 26 so why you would tell him to size down two is beyond me.

I measured everything but the waist to be the same. The waist about 1.5-2 inches smaller in the same size. Everything else was the same.

i just got my sz28 710s from 2nd. after paying 50€ customs, i got very excited when i realised these also ran true to tagged size pre wash. i can pretty much confirm the above. the waist looks ridicoulusly small. i can do half the buttons. why did they do this? i was looking for a slimmer fit. these are already my widest jeans by far, if i go one or even two sizes up, im gonna look like im wearing a tent. damn im pissed

Disclaimer: I'm a huge fan of Samurai. I am an absolute lover of their jeans.

Now I'm not one for internet hysteria, but this new sizing issue is really messing up my flow. I know that some of you guys on here know Gordon at BiG and some of you know folks at Samurai as well. Before this thing gets any crazier, could someone do all of us the collective favor of:

A.) Getting some (at least) semi-official word on how the sizing change has impacted the fit of jeans (i.e. Is it true that a tagged 34 from this latest batch would have the same dimensions as an earlier batch minus two inches in the waist?) This seems crazy to me, but multiple folks here have claimed this and I find it worrisome.

B.) Again, some semi-official word on the models that have been impacted by this change. The disclaimer up on BiG's site includes 0500XXs, 5000VXs, (and some others I think), but doesn't include Jins (for which there has been a recent re-stock).

Any informed commentary on the subject would be much appreciated and welcomed by those of us that love the product and are interested in buying more. Based on what I've been hearing here so far, it seems like there's a cohort of SuFu people that are pretty much reporting that there's a "bad batch" out there, as sad as that might be. Time will tell I guess.

yea time will tell. my lot 10 s0500 from 2nd were about an inch bigger raw than the tag size. not sure if they were part of the 2nd batch of lot 10s that are giving screwy sizes or if that is only the 710s that are like that

Same here. My S0500XX lot 10 which I just received from 2nd measured only 1inch (Tgged 33; measured 34) bigger than tagged sz. I have the same query as Grilled cheese. Does this means that it's equivalent to a Sz 32 of previous batches or it's a sz 33 in all other dimensions just that the waist measured smaller than preiously?

aw fuck already ordered them. hopefully i can change it. so what do i do. i am a true 28 would like an inseam of 32-33. what size and what length should i hem them to when they are raw.

foldingsocks-

no, they don't shrink three inches in the inseam. like chantheman mentioned, they will typically shrink to a 36 inseam. and that is not 3 inches, it is 2.5. not to be overly picky frank, but you need to be more careful ... especially if you don't have them. also, the new lot is true to size. so, if you bought a 32 it would shrink to a 30, etc. so when you order, make sure you get those details beforehand from wherever your buying them. it will save you time in the long-run. and frank, im not sure they make the 5000's in a size 26 so why you would tell him to size down two is beyond me.

^

if you ordered a size 28 in the new lot you should be okay. they will shrink down to a 26. they will be tight at first but in a day or two (maybe longer) they will stretch out to a comfortable fit.

as far as the inseam goes, personally, i would tell them to take off three inches. yes, they will stretch in the inseam maybe another 1/4 inch or so after several wears, but my worst fear is getting my jeans hemmed to short. so play it safe. plan to stack them for a month or so if they are to long -- they will look fine. if after several washes you still find the inseam to long for your tastes, go ahead and get them hemmed another inch if thats what you want. thats how i do it. if anybody else has anymore experience than i with the 5000 cut please chime in.

i buy all my jeans and clothing at blue in green. gordon, one of the owners, has at one point hemmed the same pair of jeans for me three different times. i know its a pain in the ass but then again like most of us here, im very picky on how clothing fits. so talk to the people you are buying them from before hand. hope this helps. good luck.

I measured my size 29 110xjs after looking at BiG's method and they actually come out closer to 29.5 or so. Since their chart puts them around 30 pre-wash, they're not as off as I first determined. It's possible the 110xj model does not have sizing problems like some of the others.

Does anyone have experience as far as the left-hand twill and stretch? I talked to someone at BiG who seemed to think it should stretch quite easily. They also said that these only shrink down an inch in the waist from soaking. Since they were kind of tight in the waist pre-shrink I was a little worried, but the rest of the pant is loose enough. I think maybe if I'm careful to stretch the waist a bit while they're wet they should turn out fine.

heres the email reply i just got back from BiG

tyson.

I'm not sure yet but I'm assuming so. We have some coming in, assuming you mean the S5000VX 21oz, so I'll be measuring them and posting the results on on the website. They've been coming in smaller all over. They're basically settling and shrinking once they leave the factory and enter into a room temperature environment. The heavier weight denims react different at different times of the year, i.e. climates, so lots produced in colder climates react different than productions warmer climates which is part of issue with the new lots. I think going into the new year they will be trying to control this better before shipping out to the stores but only time will tell.

Regards,

Gordon

On Dec 28, 2007, at 2:19 AM, xxxx wrote:

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://blueingreensoho.com/site from:

xxxxxx

NOTE: This recent lot measures smaller than previous lots. They measure

2" smaller than before. They measure the same as tag size raw and will

shrink 2" in the waist and 2" in the length with washing. For example size 30

will measure 30" and shrink to 28". Please keep this mind when finding your

correct size.

^i noticed that. do you think/know if this applies to the upcoming 21oz version? is it 2 in smaller everywhere or just in the waist?