Samurai Denim

Guest The Diplomatic Aristocrat

Guest jeffvyain

i actually recall trying to clean it beforehand, and that was all the fuzzies from the towel i whiped with. i don't think they are too big. i love the jeans. they were just bigger than i expected, and I'm excited to get a jean that's just a bit smaller at the hem with the 500xx. those 5000vx's looked great with flipflops when they didn't stack quite as much, but i turn them up when i wear them with shoes so they're not QUITE so long looking

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jeffvyain

yea that was probably 3-4 months ago...wish i could say it was really showing on my jeans, but they are taking FOREVER to bust. they are just now starting to get a little pretty, but you can only really tell in the sunlight. i'm going to start skating a bit more so hopefully they'll wear a bit more in the next few weeks before i have to put them on halt for the 500s

Hey, it seems a bit early to be asking this now but, i'm gonna go to hong kong at the end of November and I'm thinking about getting a pair of samurai's but I'm not sure which ones yet. I'm thinking between the S0500XX, S510XX-19OZ2 and S5000VX. Besides that they are 15oz, 19oz and 17oz respectively what are the differences? I've been reading up on these but havn't really gotten a good insight into these since i just use a translator to translate japanese to english and it doesnt really explain much. I've read that usually the heavier the denim the better but also that 15oz is the best weight and anything over 15oz doesn't improve the quality of the denim. What's the difference between zero model and samurai model? Fit-wise which ones would be closest to the SSDS? Coz I'm wearing a pair of SSDS at the moment and love the fit.

i can just comment on the S510XX-19oz....they are really baggy...if you want sammies that fit like your SSDS....forget about S510...

here's the fit:

136_3645.jpg

136_3647.jpg

Question about the S510XX that are posted above. Are these the same fit (weight obviously different) as the S0510XX III that are shown on the blue in green website (http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=47&category_id=&manufacturer_id=10&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28) I've used the search function, but that didn't help me much. Thanks a bunch.

Guest jeffvyain

...i'm not sorry to say that horribly. i used to having to stretch jeans. i'd rather have tighter legs and not have to put them in the dryer than have some that fit better initially

• 1 month later...

didnt want to start a new thread, so i am posting here. did this not sell? http://www.samurai-j.com/samurai/monthly/s0552cx.htm

usually there is a new limited edition a month, and this has been there for a few months, or have they been too busy with the contest? just curious

i found this thread very helpful with sizing...

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=12423

after exhaustive research about fit, i bought a pair of raw samurai s5000vx from a guy on here...

;)thanks dnarnya

and i sized down 2 sizes and went with a 30 waist. they were very, very tight post soak but have stretched a LOT and are perfect. probaly hands down the nicest pair of jeans i have ever seen, much less owned. in a word, awesome.

size down.

The 19oz def feels warmer than my ~15oz stuff, but not at all uncomfortably so. Haven't had a chance to wear them during summer yet, but will be wearing them when I'm on vacation in Hawaii, and plan on doing so when summer comes around too. I'm used to wearing long pants in really hot weather though, so I can't be sure that what is fine for me will be for you.

I have not worn the 19oz much because they were about 5" too long, cuffing them made a really thick cuff, and I bought some other jeans at the same time. But they are on the way back from being hemmed at big and I will definately start wearing them more often. I have not really noticed much difference with the S5000BK 17 oz compared to 14-15 oz jeans.

Guest jeffvyain

i'd say they're a bit warmer. i have the s5000vx, which is 17 oz. i'm sure it'd be pretty hot in the summer if i had sized down a bit, but they were honestly quite a bit more comfortable during the summer than my APC NS, which i had sized down considerably. i would say fit makes a bigger difference as far as heat goes than oz of denim. if you're going to have a little bit of room in them, they'll probably be fine during the summer, as were mine

nightdeposit, glad to hear you love them as much as i do. i almost never wear any other jeans.

[quote name=jeffvyain

nightdeposit, glad to hear you love them as much as i do. i almost never wear any other jeans.[/quote]

yeah man, these jeans are epic. i get compliments on them daily. its funny, really one of the few pairs of jeans I've ever owned that gets noticed like these samurais.

jeff you handled a pair of the contest sams, how did they compare to the S5000vx?

essentially the same denim, no?

To nightdeposit. S5000VX is a very different pair of jeans to the competition Samurai.

S5000 denim is heavier (17oz vs 15oz) and much less irregular. Cut on the comp denim has a tapered leg and what looks (although I can't be certain pre-soak) like a slightly higher rise than the S5000.

Having said that the S5000 reward regular wear in an amazing way.

I have both s0500 and s5000bk and they are quite different in fit. The s5000bk is lower rise, straight leg, and a little relaxed in the seat/thigh on me. The s0500 has a higher rise than s5000bk, slimmer in the seat/thigh and tapered leg. The denim has a completely different feel - thinner but very stiff - supposedly because the s0500 denim is made entirely of short cotton fiber that is tightly twisted and tightly woven. But I have not soaked the s0500 so its hard to say how the demin actually differs right now.

Guest jeffvyain

the contest jeans had quite a bit higher rise. honestly, i wouldn't say the contest jeans were more irregular; rather, they are just a lot different. to me, they seemed a bit smoother (less slubby) but they definitely had more irregularity as far as fibers hanging out here and there, which i would attribute to them using the short texas cotton fibers. the s5000vx is a bit slubbier, but less rough, to the touch. it's hard to explain. on the contest jeans, you would rub your hand down the denim and feel a kind of sharpness to the cotton. the irregularities on the s5000vx are quite a bit bigger but smoother to the touch. there were a couple strands hanging off and looping back in so far that they actually bothered me a little bit, and i burned them off with a lighter. overall, i liked my s5000vx quite a bit better, but i attribute the majority of that to the lower rise and the fact that they fit me in the waist. i don't think the s0500xx was significantly tighter in the seat or thighs at all. i sized down so they were supposed to be a little smaller, but i imagine that if i had sized properly, they would've fit almost the same up top, with the s0500 having a higher rise, and that's pretty much it. again, no one has soaked them, so who really knows?

Sorry guys, jeffvyain is right about the sizing. I forgot that I went 1 size down on the s0500 because I wanted it to fit snug and the s5000bk fits a little loose in the seat/thigh on me. Tosiko at Samurai and Gordon at BIG both indicated that the s0500 are not as oversized initially as other Samurai jeans because Samurai does not expect this denim to shrink as much.

Let me also say, for those considering the S5000VX, size down.

I normally wear size 30 in all my jeans (28 in APC New Standards). I got a size 29 in the S5000VX and they fit me perfectly, not too tight. Therefore, I'd go at least 1 down from your regular size in these.

Guest jeffvyain

1 down sounds perfect. i went with a 30, which is what size i normally buy, and although they fit me pretty much perfectly, if i could do it all over again, i'd go with a 29 for a slightly slimmer leg. that said, i really cannot speak enough for the denim and detail, which is why this thread keeps getting bumped up.

i really need to take some pictures. they're no work of art yet, but they're starting to get pretty.