The design industry

Clockwork_killa

thats cool. to each his own, but that wasnt really the point.

The point is: the second piece, I do in fact find interesting on a conceptual level, but in a design sense I do not see the quality in it at all. I think if it was in a different medium, something not digital, I would appreciate it a lot more. But to me, it looks like a MS paint work that homie took about 30 seconds to make and called it art.

This post is full of contradictions.

Good "Design" emcompasses both form and substance. Do you speak Arabic? maybe that illustration would turn out to have a completely different meaning to you if so. These two images don't quite communicate the same things at the same degree, and judging on style alone isn't going to get you very far.

To be perfectly clear, this starting off as a question. Which was basically what is being taught to Yale GDMFA students?

I never intended to compare or to say which one was better of the two images I put up. It was more so to say what graphic design is to me, in a technical sense.

This got a little misconstrued, probably because I miscommunicated the question early on, I guess.

This post is full of contradictions.

Good "Design" emcompasses both form and substance. Do you speak Arabic? maybe that illustration would turn out to have a completely different meaning to you if so. These two images don't quite communicate the same things at the same degree, and judging on style alone isn't going to get you very far.

Edited by mmfood

• 1 month later...

although one-word replies constitute little more than trolling, i'll elaborate anyway.

'conceptual' in the visual arts applies to a work that deliberately shuns aesthetics, tradition and craftsmanship in order to express an idea, a concept, without the supposed interference of a pleasing appearance. this makes it by definition the opposite of graphic design, which aims to optimally convey any concept through a harmonious and aesthetically sound representation.

eating internet and shitting mspaint might rightfully be conceptual art to some, but it sure as fuck isn't graphic design.

i see what you're getting at, but the expression of a concept is, of course, inherent to both graphic design and traditional visual arts.

the use of 'conceptual' as an adjective does not imply the presence of a concept in a work (all 'art' has a concept behind it, even if the concept is to be art), it implies that the work is stripped down to a base concept without any additional aesthetics.

so yeah, there's usually a concept in graphic design, but that doesn't semantically make it 'conceptual design'.

i see what you're getting at, but the expression of a concept is, of course, inherent to both graphic design and traditional visual arts.

the use of 'conceptual' as an adjective does not imply the presence of a concept in a work (all 'art' has a concept behind it, even if the concept is to be art), it implies that the work is stripped down to a base concept without any additional aesthetics.

so yeah, there's usually a concept in graphic design, but that doesn't semantically make it 'conceptual design'.

All I'm saying is that your original statement is totally invalid unless you use some wild, arbitrary definition of "conceptual." But you are, so you're totally right. Congrats.

I don't really care either way. I mostly make banners lol.

Seems like a number of people work in ad / design ? Maybe someone here can offer some advice then. I'm about to graduate undergrad from a liberal arts college that is somewhat name droppable but ultimately has no pull in these sorts of fields. Furthermore, I'm a double major in psychology and Japanese, so 0 relation to ad or design of any sort. I'm thinking I want to possibly go into ad or design as I've more or less tired of academia and research in cultural theory / language / social sciences. other than an internship I did recently with a friend's dad's ad firm in manhattan (on the account management and strategy end, but worked with creatives on some stuff since I'm effectively just as good if not better at ps / illustrator than some of them) though, I've got no formal experience and no portfolio to back me up which is, unfortunately, pretty damn important.

Would going into ad or design require me to go back to school? It sorta seems that way to me now but wondering if anyone here has advice.

Seems like a number of people work in ad / design ? Maybe someone here can offer some advice then. I'm about to graduate undergrad from a liberal arts college that is somewhat name droppable but ultimately has no pull in these sorts of fields. Furthermore, I'm a double major in psychology and Japanese, so 0 relation to ad or design of any sort. I'm thinking I want to possibly go into ad or design as I've more or less tired of academia and research in cultural theory / language / social sciences. other than an internship I did recently with a friend's dad's ad firm in manhattan (on the account management and strategy end, but worked with creatives on some stuff since I'm effectively just as good if not better at ps / illustrator than some of them) though, I've got no formal experience and no portfolio to back me up which is, unfortunately, pretty damn important.

Would going into ad or design require me to go back to school? It sorta seems that way to me now but wondering if anyone here has advice.

You can certainly just start working on your book. All you do in school is speculative work for the most part, anyway. It's obviously easier in school since you are being forced to do the work and have people to partner with, etc... And you get the added benefit of all the networking bullshit. But that's not to say you couldn't build a dope book on your own and get a job that way. It's just harder.

Edited by youkinorn2

Seems like a number of people work in ad / design ? Maybe someone here can offer some advice then. I'm about to graduate undergrad from a liberal arts college that is somewhat name droppable but ultimately has no pull in these sorts of fields. Furthermore, I'm a double major in psychology and Japanese, so 0 relation to ad or design of any sort. I'm thinking I want to possibly go into ad or design as I've more or less tired of academia and research in cultural....

If you go in thinking you're better than everyone that won't get you far.

if it's conceptual, it isn't graphic design.

I originally was going to post to say I disagree with this statement fully, but after reading your follow up posts I understand what you mean. Nice to get a dialogue going, if just for half a page.

lol im about halfway through til grad at artcenter. Looking for internships atm.

what makes you say that? I've seen trans grads get into all kinds of fields -- fashion/product/entertainment (that's probably if car companies dont hire em, which makes up the majority of the graduating classes given the current economy).

ahh well art center is pretty good.

well exactly that. everyone i know, not many to be fair..like 4, that graduated doing transportation/vehicular design ended up in other design related jobs. its kinda hard to get in a vehicular company. although im sure it pays amazing when established.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's going to be tough with no portfolio. But as someone said, do projects on your own to develop your own book or online portfolio. And make sure they're good. Don't produce them without feedback. Make some friends with a discerning eye, unless you have some already. Have them tear the projects apart. Criticism is an essential part of growing, so get used to it.

Unless you're willing to learn the basics of typography, grids, web design, and whatever else you're interested in on your own, I'd suggest going to school for it. Some people have the attention span and will to do so, but it's generally considered more difficult. School puts you in an environment where you're being goaded on by the fact that you're pouring shit tons of money into being there. It serves as a good incentive.

If you make the right connections, you could land some miracle job with no experience. But that is highly unlikely.

• 3 months later...