Vintage Denim?

johnmc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not to blow the spot but where are you all buying your vintage XX's these days? All the good stuff goes to Japan, I'm too lazy to thrift (and I always spot japanese guys beating me to good stuff), and prices are way too high for me to get back into it. Feel free to DM me if you prefer to chat in private :D

16 minutes ago, aho said:

Not to blow the spot but where are you all buying your vintage XX's these days? All the good stuff goes to Japan, I'm too lazy to thrift (and I always spot japanese guys beating me to good stuff), and prices are way too high for me to get back into it. Feel free to DM me if you prefer to chat in private :D

For me i only can get from ebay which is the items that might overlook by japanese collector ha ha ,but is it fun to watch the biding price fly high at the last few mins ha ha:laugh:

For me i only can get from ebay which is the items that might overlook by japanese collector ha ha ,but is it fun to watch the biding price fly high at the last few mins ha ha:laugh:

^As I feared, I'm also too cheap/poor to pay eBay prices! I remember it was already getting too expensive for me when jeans like the ones you bought were going for $1000-1500 around five years ago. To see the asking prices of $5000+ these days now is crazy! 

Edited by aho

51403121491_1e17dbdbaf_z.jpg501 13 by bottleswest, on Flickr

51403382733_f39a995a43_z.jpg501 14 by bottleswest, on Flickr

51404098890_93db2c86ea_z.jpg501 12 by bottleswest, on Flickr

51403382878_e71e0b8a2c_z.jpg501 10 by bottleswest, on Flickr

51404099640_de3f243da9_z.jpg501 7 by bottleswest, on Flickr

51403877979_34d08086d3_z.jpg501.1 by bottleswest, on Flickr

51403383218_ba1cb13744_z.jpg501 5 by bottleswest, on Flickr

51403122316_b0536e0d8c_z.jpgdb1 by bottleswest, on Flickr

Out thrifting on a not so traveled route yesterday with the father-in-law. I should have known when I picked up this 1970's dragon

bong at our first stop, after 2 crap thrift stores in a row, we were going to just call it- and head for home...5 miles down the road

we decided to hit another- We were in the store for 10 minutes and Russ walked up to me and said you better look at this, I could see

the hidden rivets- then he said- Look, its a big E

I looked and couldn't believe It was one sided....So much fun.

On 8/26/2021 at 7:41 AM, Sansome1877 said:

Thanks- this is the sort of thing you saw back in the old days…back in the 80’s- right doc?

Yessir! Although l recall how you would see them often in 1987, at least one or two pairs per thrift shop (as no one knew much about old Levis) that l used to go in, usually the smaller or larger waist sizes. Usually about 15 or 20 quid a pop. But by 1989 it was all over. Most dealers/sellers had the 'bronze rivet' jeans (?), or stud-backs as they were known, high up hanging at the back with crazy prices on them. The 'Japanese invasion' had wiped us out.

Edited by Dr_Heech

Although I only searched for 501s occasionally during the mid-late 80s, I never came across anything with hidden rivets or even a big E. Just finding a pair of small e redlines (from the 70s or 80s) in a wearable size seemed like the Holy Grail to me back then! Charlie was a pro compared to me.

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Although I only searched for 501s occasionally during the mid-late 80s, I never came across anything with hidden rivets or even a big E. Just finding a pair of small e redlines (from the 70s or 80s) in a wearable size seemed like the Holy Grail to me back then! Charlie was a pro compared to me.

I did visit Alot of vintage/thrift shops and market stalls and sometimes on a daily basis if l was up in London for a week, so the chances of finding something in my size was good. I could go through a rail in seconds, just looking at the colour shade of the denim and the belt loop bar tacking on the side, to determine weather big E or not. Didn't always work but you couldn't hang around the rails for long before some irritating sales bunny would hop over asking what size you were(?), so looking for those details early, and quickly, before anyone realised what you up to, was the key. Like l said, by 1989 you were lucky to see anything with a redline on it in a wearable size, as the good stuff was hidden away and sold for big money to whomever coughed up the cash. 

23 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I’m curious, wondering what the difference between you and Charlie hunting- you have to look in the women’s jeans too (where some of the best stuff is)

we’re both of you just looking in the men’s jeans?

52 minutes ago, Sansome1877 said:

I’m curious, wondering what the difference between you and Charlie hunting- you have to look in the women’s jeans too (where some of the best stuff is)

we’re both of you just looking in the men’s jeans?

:laugh:

I can't speak for Maynard but l can tell you l only ever looked for 501XX (although with Martin's penchant for tapered fits and removed cinches ......)

7 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

:laugh:

I can't speak for Maynard but l can tell you l only ever looked for 501XX (although with Martin's penchant for tapered fits and removed cinches ......)

Some of the best men’s jeans are accidentally (I assume) put in the women’s section, like the dumbass that I am

I like to give away my trade secrets, I guess you guys never checked for the same mistakes being made back in the day.

Edited by Sansome1877

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dry said:

I got my 1975s in February or March 2018. They are 16 on the button. Curiously they have selvedge on the coin pocket. There is a lot of twist. There are characteristic flaws in the denim - see right rear pocket. Sadly I can no longer access EBay purchase history from 2018 so have no pics deadstock with flashers etc (I could dig out the flashers if anyone is interested).

IMG_20210907_0828010.jpg

IMG_20210907_0828320.jpg

IMG_20210907_0830066.jpg

IMG_20210907_0829300.jpg

IMG_20210907_0831595.jpg

IMG_20210907_0832106.jpg

IMG_20210907_0832247.jpg

IMG_20210907_0835352.jpg

IMG_20210907_0828495.jpg

IMG_20210907_0831164.jpg

IMG_20210907_0831377.jpg

Hey @Dry Decided it was best to move this discussion to the vintage denim thread. Didn't want to get off topic on the Lvc thread ect..

Nice pair and glad to see more pics of them! Very interesting seeing the selvedge in the coin pocket this late in production (normally it has disappeared again by mid 60's) and what looks to be a mixture of cotton and poly/cotton blend of threads if l'm not mistaken. Good to see somone enjoying their vintage.

Head's up. I spotted what I think is a deadstock vintage Levi's Type 3 for a good price. As typical with Markt, it's mislabeled. 

https://www.marrkt.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/lot-705-type-ii-denim-jacket

I don't need it, but one of you should check it out. 

Been an interesting past few weeks combing through the bay. To pour salt on the wound, there are plenty of vintage 501XX's coming out of Japan these days at Japanese prices (and then some). At this point I think I'm just going to have to fly to Marvin's or Palms once Japan opens up and see what decent pricing I can get on more worn out examples, and what tax exemption I can get with my Passport. I'm very interested in a '46 model however, so it'll be tough. 

@Sansome1877 what luck with that find!