Vintage Denim?

johnmc

^The good thing about repros is you can wear them in yourself...Raw/unworn vintage is rare and costly so repro definitely has it's place. I personally just collect vintage without the purpose of wearing it (blasphemy to some maybe) but to each their own!

But also, there really is something to vintage texture and fading properties:

15795148423_b5d740c3cc_z.jpg

One trip through Marvin's site will get you thinking as well... ;)

Edited by aho

I respect vintage jeans for obvious reasons, and you're right that it's awesome to wear your own jeans in and feel the changes, but...

I think the main reason why I like newer vintage-inspired stuff is that, when they do it right, you essentially get a jean with all the vintage details (and beauty from them) amped up to 11.  Case in point with flat heads... bigger copper rivets, exaggerated vertical streaky fading, really tight rolled belt loops and a bunch of thick felled seems... Just perfect!

^And that's the brilliant thing about our obsession...All our favorite brands have their own individual focus and we all gravitate to what we gravitate to for whatever reasons interest us. No hate in the game, all brands have their purpose and niche! Heck, I can even respect a good pair of True Religion's if worn in well and hard

I bought this recently. I really like the workwear aesthetics of it and it feels like excellent quality. It has triple stitching in most places and the selvage is very nice and patinated. Not sure how old it is - the seller suggested 50s but I think it's probably closer to 60/70s [?]

Photo%2026-02-2015%2008%2041%2017.jpg

• 8 months later...

I bought this recently. I really like the workwear aesthetics of it and it feels like excellent quality. It has triple stitching in most places and the selvage is very nice and patinated. Not sure how old it is - the seller suggested 50s but I think it's probably closer to 60/70s [?]

Photo%2026-02-2015%2008%2041%2017.jpg

gorgeous jacket!!!!

• 7 months later...

Hopefully this is a good thread to post these to. I found these Levi's 501s at a thrift shop this past week and believe they are from the 70s. They have a number 6 (or 9) on the inside top button, but that is about the only indicator I can go by. Do any of you know any more info about them? The photo doesn't show it, but they are red line selvedge. They fit me perfectly so I will probably keep them if they are not worth any money. They are really nice looking jeans.

wOfZZlL.jpg

kG6r9jm.jpg

bxHuSMk.jpg

UqCQOOr.jpg

ar2lC8U.jpg

8wRN5Qo.jpg

1TH7SIQ.jpg

5JF8bzN.jpg

Nice pickup! I'd keep them to wear if they fit perfectly, as they aren't a big ticket item ($100-175 at most in that condition IMO)....They are "route 66" model era jeans, and can range from 1970-1981. It's hard to tell from the pictures but my methodology would be:

1) Big E on red tab? if yes, 1970-1973 and they're worth a bit more (I'd start bidding at $200-300)

2) Small E? Check the inside of the back pockets. Single stitch (http://www.levisguide.com/501ss/31954502_tp%5B1%5D.jpg) = 1973-1978. Double stitch (interweaving two threads) = 1978-1981!

If you have any trouble identifying any of this let me know! They look to be small E from what I can see in the pictures, thread color, character of fabric etc. but either way, great find!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, i_denim said:

is there a list of all vintage cuts available somewhere? 

…you mean a list of all jeans ever made? If such a thing exists, I'd love to know about it ;)

11 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

…you mean a list of all jeans ever made? If such a thing exists, I'd love to know about it ;)

I meant what are the preferred or known cuts from vintage. For example, 1947 seems to the one of the most popular ones with both Sugarcane and Conner’s offering a pair.

21 minutes ago, i_denim said:

I meant what are the preferred or known cuts from vintage. For example, 1947 seems to the one of the most popular ones with both Sugarcane and Conner’s offering a pair.

I would say the most popular Levi's repros are likely a variation of WWII, 47 and 66 with some brands making a 50s cut. But that just speaks to levi's rather than vintage fits as a whole, I'm not too well versed in wrangler or lee vintage fits.