Vintage Denim?

johnmc

so awesome dude^ so nice to get to see stuff like that.

Found this deadstock Big Smith pleated jacket sz 44 today. I am trying to place it, the collar seems big, but the pleating makes me think 60's, anyone care to shed any light? (forgive the instagram photos... out of town and forgot my slr.)

209cc73fe90f4010985f5f14c1475d97_7.jpg

86305fd8934b4fa396a26163da1af686_7.jpg

a8731042db67491b8e7687bf47078448_7.jpg

c9602c6e16d241448bf7a50b9c7d1def_7.jpg

it has a union made label in both the right and left hand pockets.

Thanks for any info/evaluations guys.

Nice jacket..is it selfedge. any info bout the denim .:cool:

Here's a 1940's chore jacket with a simple four button front with two front pockets and stand collar construction. The war time laurel wreath buttons are lightly rusted and have a cool patina. The ring spun denim has beautiful fades from years of wear and some interesting loom chatter.

chorefront.jpg

Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

No Paul/Dr_Heech, I'm not talking about the potential price - that can be very subjective.

But I'm expecting, with your caliber, most of you should immediately spots the jeans are genuine and not from 60s era, even without knowing there are hidden rivets - just based on those pics.

Yes but you have missed the point that the values given for them here would have indicated that we all thought that they are obviously 47-53 era XX's anyway.

Another thread for me to avoid ....

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't the first set of Levis made outside the USA made in Scotland?

redline1.jpg

Anyway, pulled three pairs of redlines out of the thrift store a few days back. All in a wearable 33 x 36. One actually looks to have been washed only 2-3 times -- lots of indigo left. Unfortunately it's the sulfur-tainted stuff from the '70s. Anyway, first redlines I've found inside the city since the '90s (I did find some Big Es out in the desert 2 years ago).

found some deadstock carhartts at lunch - didn't have any cash so i'll go and get them monday, but any thoughts on age? only photographed the tag... it looks old, but made in scotland...

utf-8BSU1HMDA5OTktMjAxMTA5MzAtMTIyNS5qcGc.jpg

that blue jean font looks late 50's to me. Kind of beach blanket bingo-ish

Yea, they weren't making jeans in Scotland in the '50s. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Levis didn't start up their Scottish plant until the late '60s and I believe the plant only did orange tab for the European market -- no 501s. I'd bet these are from the '90s or 2000s that corresponded with the licensing agreement to Europe that happened around that time.

I'll post some more pics once i've bought them (probably tomorrow), but they look a lot older than 90s/00s - no modern carhartt branding for one (anyone know when the carhartt C appeared?), and they're also really basic construction - plus, i can't imagine a label like that being produced by them so recently?

Yea, they weren't making jeans in Scotland in the '50s. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Levis didn't start up their Scottish plant until the late '60s and I believe the plant only did orange tab for the European market -- no 501s. I'd bet these are from the '90s or 2000s that corresponded with the licensing agreement to Europe that happened around that time.

I think it opened around 1983 and they made non-selvage 501s.

EDIT: I know it was open in 1983 thanks to Paul Ts book, but it may have opened before then.

European-licensed models have different branding than American models. So, you can't use the appearance of the C as a measure. Again, these were made in Scotland. I don't definitively know this, but pre-Euro-license I'm very sure a small family-owned workwear company from Dearborn, Michigan wasn't outsourcing manufacturing to Europe. For the most part, Carhartt was strictly workwear until the late '90s -- and very proudly made with union labor in Michigan. The brand was not fashionable like levis and thus not really desirable outside the USA. As for the label it is an affected '50s thing, here are real vintage Carhartt flashers.

carhartt_vintage_showcards.jpg

European-licensed models have different branding than American models. So, you can't use the appearance of the C as a measure. Again, these were made in Scotland. I don't definitively know this, but pre-Euro-license I'm very sure a small family-owned workwear company from Dearborn, Michigan wasn't outsourcing manufacturing to Europe. For the most part, Carhartt was strictly workwear until the late '90s -- and very proudly made with union labor in Michigan. The brand was not fashionable like levis and thus not really desirable outside the USA. As for the label it is an affected '50s thing, here are real vintage Carhartt flashers.

carhartt_vintage_showcards.jpg

i think you're right - went back today and had another look: reckon they're probably rockabilly revival jeans from the 90s (there's not been any jeans made in the uk in any number in the past 10 years, as far as i'm aware).

also, as they're 'carhartts', i reckon they probably aren't even made by carhartt... i decided to pass.

• 3 weeks later...
Sansome - could be 70's or newer....clothes were still being made here in the US by the United Garment Workers until the 1990's. Not sure when they stopped using that tag. We'd know a little more if the paper hang tags were on them still.

Thanks Rivet Head and entertainment^... Seems to have a 1970's vibe? Lets do this c.1979:D

late 70's by the look of everything. Might even be 80's. I forget when Sears changed the font of their logo, but I think it was in the mid 80's. They're not the 90's.

edit: that old style of logo was used up to 1984.

Not quite vintage but still a few years old!These are a Levis Europe and Middle East model 501 around an estimated 8-10 years old...used for paining now. they are hand me downs from a friend who lives in north africa so no telling where they have been or really how old they are. All of the repairs have been done since i was given them...still got a lot of work to do on them...They seem to fall apart more every time i wear them. Hope you enjoy!

6282190674_d6cabc7676.jpg

DSC_0178 by Mr.JohnCinyo, on Flickr6282187740_2b56472913.jpg

DSC_0187 by Mr.JohnCinyo, on Flickr6282181450_bddfe9015a.jpg

DSC_0173 by Mr.JohnCinyo, on Flickr6282184698_b038a297ce.jpg

DSC_0185 by Mr.JohnCinyo, on Flickr6281666867_5a1198dd8d.jpg

DSC_0184 by Mr.JohnCinyo, on Flickr