Vintage Denim?

johnmc

It often seems to be the youth overalls that get preserved - for obvious reasons, as they get grown-out-of.

Those are a much more royal-blue than the 201 I've seen in person - others have been incredibly slubby. Note how they have that unique construction - from memory I can't remember if it's just 20s and 30s or whether earlier as well - of right panel over left panel on the seat (nearly all jeans have left panel over right).

I think they changed to the conventional arrangement during WW2, maybe at the same time they introduced the 'stagger' on the yoke. Note the two lines of stitching on the yoke here meet each other which means the yoke is slightly assymmetrical.

Paul, Thanks for pointing out the detail on the yoke construction. Wouldn't the presence of belt loops date these to the 30's?

Sorry guys, but that's incorrect.

Belt loops were introduced in 1922, so these were made anywhere between '22-36. But judging by the flattened arivets, they are (probably) pre-1927.

The Dr shows us up again - shoulda thought before I posted. Yes, mid 20s sounds exactly right, just like the repros. Interesting these don't have enamelled suspender buttons - I'm not sure I've seen many originals with them.

The enamelled suspender buttons were introduced around 1927 IIRC (the 1st 555 201 repro was tagged 1929 201).

Paul, if you ask Sansome (mike) from the Jeans of the old west thread, he has a copy of 'Denim' (jap book from 1998) which has two splendid pix of the 201's with black enamelled suspender buttons. My copy is long sold. He may post those..

I've never seen that wrangler before. I might even like it more than the levis type 2, all except for the buttons... I never liked those on wranglers....

But I'd rock that for sure.... if I could get it for $50.00 or so...

• 2 weeks later...
soooo its been a while...anyone have anything vintage related to post?

new buys, finds or anything of interest?

From time to time, I found some interesting vintage but all of them seems nothing compared to anything owned by most you here in the forum. In my country now, to find real old denim in used or vintage shop is like a dream comes true - they are scarce and very-very rare if we found hanging on the wall on display. Some collectors even stay very low profile - avoid mainstream collectors and other owners of vintage clothings.

I shared some of my findings here previously. I don't know, maybe that denims are so typical to westerners or maybe the picture I took is not so nice.

I have question to masters here - what is the real meaning of numbers or characters that we found on the back of top button of most vintage jeans, in particular from Levi's or other brands? Why it got so many variants - some like #L on top button, some series of #L on small buttons? One of my friend got 501 with #6 top button and #D at the back of all small buttons. Is there any difference between that one with the one with only have #6 top button jeans? Hope I could find real answer. Thanks.

After seeing that wrangler jacket have just started a new series of posts about ebay sales on my vintage denim blog

Has anyone here had any experiences of buying vintage denim on the bay?

A vintage dealer I know swears NEVER to use ebay ' cos you aint know what ya gettin'

I think it depends on what you're buying. If you're buying a jacket that is heavily copied, then yeah, think twice...

but a true vintage piece that no one remakes... go for it.

After seeing that wrangler jacket have just started a new series of posts about ebay sales on my vintage denim blog

Has anyone here had any experiences of buying vintage denim on the bay?

A vintage dealer I know swears NEVER to use ebay ' cos you aint know what ya gettin'

I don't think it's any worse with denim, than other items, on eBay.

Most of the decent items are obvious - and go for fair prices. THey're not always outrageous. Of course there's lots of LVC or Thai stuff sold as original but they're usually easy to spot. The big drawback at the moment is the strength of the yen, which pushes up prices for us EUropeans, and Americans too.

just to give hope to the thrifters out there..

I stopped during lunch at a thrift shop and got 2 pairs of little e red-lines, 1 pair of vintage lees (no selvedge) but talon 42 and union tag, and 1 pair of prps purple selvedge jeans...

Not a bad haul.... They might pay for a new sewing machine I have my eye on...

just to give hope to the thrifters out there..

I stopped during lunch at a thrift shop and got 2 pairs of little e red-lines, 1 pair of vintage lees (no selvedge) but talon 42 and union tag, and 1 pair of prps purple selvedge jeans...

Not a bad haul.... They might pay for a new sewing machine I have my eye on...

Where do you live?

Where do you live?

probably the most picked over thrift store capital in the world... Los Angeles.

You just have to be there when they put stuff out and they don't know what they're putting out.

The trouble in LA is most shops now look for redlines... The Lee's snuck by because they don't know about them and of course the Prps.

I tried to see if any of them would fit me... none, so they'll be for sale...

In all fairness, though, LA may be picked over, but there are a lot more people buying nice clothes and donating/reselling than a lot of other places. Go a little further east than California and people buy cheap stuff and wear the shit out of it. Also, LA has skinny people. I find tons of great stuff out here but it's all in size 40....

However, you just need to know what to look for and find a shop that doesn't know too much about vintage denim. Also, go to charity stores vs. vintage clothing stores.

I always know I'm going to find gold if the store put jeans with hole in them on the rack. The biggest chain of charity shops out here tosses all the "holey" jeans and thus a lot of the "holy" jeans go out with the trash.

I am on a roll right now... I stopped back in the thrift shop I went to earlier and found two more pairs of redlines little e's. I just bought one a 33x34 size with a 555 button. My first 555 vintage button actually. The other pair was a 42 x 30 and I don't think there are many guys who would want that pair.

They also had a pair of RAW LVC 55's but wanted $300 bucks for those! The inside tag looked different, it had a big LEVIS stamped on the pocket bag.

With an R on the button. Looking at the tag these looked like they might actually be from this year.

They said made in the USA so they weren't the Japan version...

I've been through that store 50 times and never found a pair of redlines... in the last week, I've found four pairs!

Just goes to show that going all the time pays off.

• 2 weeks later...